Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Current - ALLCAPS

Current - ALLCAPS
[Image: ALLCAPSdraft.png]

Jump to my most recent post
Thanked by:
The top left corner of his head looks bad, try to smooth the outline out a bit there
pkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
Thanked by: Sevenstitch
I meant upright. Sorry.

Take a look at the tutorial
[Image: XeE6VeC.gif]
Thanked by:
I'm sorry, but where did he say he was making it for Gors' game?

It's coming off as his own thing, seeing as how he posted it in Reworkshop,
not tFRUnsureDtW Non Gors Workshop.

He hasn't even posted once in tFRUnsureDtW Non Gors Workshop.
[Image: FmY9K.jpg]

I am using the TFR palette style, although, I wasn't planning on submitting this, these are just practice sprites.

Alright, here is my current version.
[Image: pawn4.png]

I've changed the light-source. I've also made changes to the arms and head.
I tried simplifying the shading to fit more with the style, but being that a white chess piece only has one color, white, I'm finding it quite challenging.
Thanked by: Phantom Killah
Don't shade just to shade, shade to add volume
I gave it a stab, did an edit of your original version.
Remember to use contrast and selout to your advantage.
[Image: quicky.png]

to comment on your most recent try, there is no contrast, the far arm should not be all dark, it should still be effected by lighting. the legs also are too dark, the character being white its likely to have bright light bounces (thinking from a physically correct lighting model) so it shouldn't just have a very dark area, if something is lit at all it will be lit fairly.
Thanked by: Jamuk, Sevenstitch
I see what you are saying, that edit is a vast improvement. I was originally thinking of using selout, but I have little experience with it. I guess now is as good a time as any to try my hand at it.
Thanked by:
Are you doing this just for fun or are you making a game with it? I was just wondering as I thought a chess game where you could change the POV would be pretty cool.
Thanked by: Altrez
for a sprite of that size, it certainly looks overshaded. and the use of selout is rather unnecesary.

one must remember that selout is not a part of shading, and it works only on a rather limited enviroment wich also implies you do have the understanding and knowledge on how colors work as a whole, both in background and sprite(tL;dr: when you actually know when to use it)

basically, i'd say you should focus on getting the shape of the pawn first, then work on adding humanoid features to it, and then use a simple shading to add volume to it. anything else would be overdone at this point.
It bothers you when the game youre playing has sprites that are too detailed meta?
[Image: aqis.png]
Thanked by:
Well, seeing as it's a small sprite then yeah.
Thanked by:
(05-04-2012, 04:00 PM)Mashuga Wrote: It bothers you when the game youre playing has sprites that are too detailed meta?
On small scale, you have to compromise detail for readability.
fail. I was looking at bombshell's rendition when i was reading that.

nah, i see what you both mean now.
[Image: aqis.png]
Thanked by:
(05-04-2012, 04:00 PM)Mashuga Wrote: It bothers you when the game youre playing has sprites that are too detailed meta?
[Image: sv7dp.gif]