Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[GAME] indie programmer searching for a decent sprite/pixel-artist
hi guys,

I'm a german hobby game developer and would like to make something a bit more elaborated but my pixel skills aren't too pretty and I'm busy enough with coding anyway.

so I'm searching for an artist for my next project

I only recently started developing browser games (flash) via action script 3 and the flashpunk library but I'm quite experienced in game dev. and have a good amount of books on my shelf as well as (a lot) academic papers on this topic. my coding skill isn't shabby as well. although I'm not a professional computer scientist - I'm coding for about 8 years now and want to dive more into browser game development.

so - you can take a look at a little classic platformer game I made to get familiar with flash-development here and my ludum dare #23 entry here (I only had 12 hours to make it and the beginning is much too long - sorry about that) - it was blogged on Indiegames.com
I also made some more flash-stuff like random dungeon generators and a prototype for a strategy game

apart from that I've made some Game Maker and RPG Maker stuff back in the days - but I won't bother showing you that. I also made some stuff with Java but I coded my own engine for it - mainly because I wasn't aware of Slick2D - so it's more a technical achievement than game dev.
I would like to stick to flashpunk for my upcoming projects though - it's such a lovely framework to code with

some more info about me:
  • german
  • 23y old
  • studying philosophy at uni (doing economics & computer science a bit as well)
  • hobbies: street photography, e-bass, drums, hacking electronics, game dev

I need someone who can pixel/sprite (and in the best case draw) quite decently - by what I mean: at least considerably better than me. I want a partner to work with as a two person team - possibly adding a third member (a music/sound guy) during later development. if everything turns out great I want to continue working with you for additional projects - so this might be your chance to enter the indie game dev scene!

the game isn't decided yet - I have a quite elaborated concept here but if you want to do something else - no problem, as long as it's 2D and single-player I can code anything. (I can also code multiplayer stuff but I quite frankly hate coding server side multiplayer optimization algorithms. I can code 3D as well (I'm familiar with the Unity engine) but I aesthetically like 2D more) the point is: after I found someone (possibly you) we're going to sit down and develop a nice concept we're both happy with

also - most probably we're going to make some money as well, since we're either going to find a sponsor (advertising) or directly sell the game (for a small amount) on our site (I'll code one for it) and possibly iOS / android market - if the game won't be to complex for touch controls
I don't want to promise large sums of money - but I promise to split the earnings in a fair way.

are you interested ?

if you are, please write a post telling me a bit about yourself, your experiences and make sure to include some work of yours

thanks
-Orni

//edit:
(05-02-2012, 07:05 PM)Chris2Balls [:B] Wrote: Edit: this is basically a request. If I were you, I'd avoid that on your first post. I suggest you present your concept in more detail, maybe show some kind of engine/demo to be even more to the point?

well - we're all adults here. I'm a programmer, not not much of an artist, so I doubt I'd be able to contribute much anyway.
this is a 'request', yes - but a reasonable one I think.

I don't think it's possible to explain the (possible) concept in more detail than I already did here
if you want play something I did - try out ten
Thanked by: Gwen
Hey Orni,

I'm interested but unfortunately, I won't be able to give much time for this project. I could fit in a sprite here and there every week/fortnight, maximum.
I've played your Ludum Dare entry and checked out the game's concept, and I like both!
I'm a 19 year old art student who's been doing pixel art for at least four years now. It's an important hobby of mine.
Here are a few examples of what I can do, pixel art wise: 1,2,3,4,5
A few drawings: 1,2,3,4,WIP
I'd be delighted to enlighten you if you have any questions. I can produce a small sample if requested.

Edit: this is basically a request. If I were you, I'd avoid that on your first post. I suggest you present your concept in more detail, maybe show some kind of engine/demo to be even more to the point?
[Image: x1aIZ2e.gif]
YOU HAVE TO FEEL WHAT YOU DRAW, FEEL
[Image: shrine.gif]

Thanked by: Gwen, DioShiba
(05-02-2012, 07:05 PM)Chris2Balls [:B] Wrote: Hey Orni,

I'm interested but unfortunately, I won't be able to give much time for this project. I could fit in a sprite here and there every week/fortnight, maximum.
I've played your Ludum Dare entry and checked out the game's concept, and I like both!
I'm a 19 year old art student who's been doing pixel art for at least four years now. It's an important hobby of mine.
Here are a few examples of what I can do, pixel art wise: 1,2,3,4,5
A few drawings: 1,2,3,4,WIP
I'd be delighted to enlighten you if you have any questions. I can produce a small sample if requested.

I think the workload won't be too much of a problem - if we're going to work together we have do adjust to whatever speed we're both comfortable with. also, I work with prototype art at first which can basically be exchanged by the real art at any point. you don't have to rush or anything.

if you can work for about 6 hours a week that would probably be enough to get the game done.

I also very much liked your work. it's obvious that you have a deep understanding of pixelart and are talented as well.
you're definitely a candidate for the job. make sure to check your pm-box in the near future

you provided enough information already - maybe I'll write you a PM if something comes to my mind.
Thanked by: Chris2Balls [:B]