Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sproights
So I'm having a little trouble with this

[Image: j83035.png]

Its supposed to be the inside of a passenger train.
Frankly, I think that gray looks like shit, and I have absolutely no idea how to make a good transition between different materials, like where the metal meets the rest.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'd like some pointers on coloring in general.
Thanked by:
take your time and study how it does in real life. check several sources, use references both from photographies and from other sprites,a nd determine how you can make it less boring and more integrated.

just because its meant to be a metal, it doesnt mean it has to be gray.
[Image: 3356241.png]

Darkened the darks to try and help them stand out, and I tried to address the single continuous color of the wall by dividing it into panels.
It looks quite a lot better now, actually.

May I ask what this is for? I may be able to give better comments if I understand the context.
Thanked by:
it lacks saturation!
[Image: vibrance.png]
Thanked by: Garamonde, Thumbtacks
(04-30-2012, 10:16 AM)Bombshell93 Wrote: it lacks saturation!
[Image: vibrance.png]

Wow, that's actually a huge improvement.

(04-30-2012, 05:25 AM)Hoeloe Wrote: May I ask what this is for? I may be able to give better comments if I understand the context.

Well I've been trying to pull together a game, and the first area starts out on the train.
Thanked by:
I thought that might be it. That looks rather small for a game setting. You're either going to have to have a really tiny play area, or have your level filled with a lot of blank space, neither is really optimal.
Thanked by:
(04-30-2012, 03:52 PM)Hoeloe Wrote: I thought that might be it. That looks rather small for a game setting. You're either going to have to have a really tiny play area, or have your level filled with a lot of blank space, neither is really optimal.

Well this room won't have any action in it, its just going to be a few NPCs until you get to the roof of the train, where space will (hopefully) not be an issue.
Thanked by:
Even so, it's a small space. Your character sprite will have to be very small to fit at that scale, especially considering the size of the seats.
Thanked by: Jamuk
meh, seeing the size of that background, i imagine the game will be played x2 resolution, kinda like super crate box :
[Image: screenshot_1.png]

Also, if you want to make your colors seem very lively, try hueshifting
[Image: E3DU8rS.png]
Reference
♥ ♥ ♥ LOVE ♥ ♥ ♥
Omega ; Phant Mmkay ; Baegal ; Gorsal ; Drakocat ; Chaoxys ; TomGuyCott ; Chris2balls ; Mighty Jetters ; Blueblur97 ; NICKtendo DS ;
Kachua (Secret Santa) ; and some more that i need to locate, save and link onto here
Yeah, changing the hue a bit will certainily help it look less boring. I would personally suggest always using some hueshifting when dealing with dull colors.

Unrelated to the colors, but the perspective of the chairs is bugging me a bit. Maybe make the farthest chair 1 pixel less thinner?
[Image: bar.png]
Thanked by:
I ran a white balance on it to make the colors seem more alive.
After I made some subtle changes to the scenery. What do you think?

[Image: th_AliveColor.png]
[Image: aqis.png]
vastly improved. though we need to deal with that dull, gray area.
Thanked by:
I'm allowed to bump if I have actual content, right?
[Image: azcikg.jpg]

Workan on some buildings for a city-area

I think it looks good, though i'm still rather poor at color selection, especially with grays
Thanked by:
i like it. aside from the odd feeling it gives me because the side view looks cramped. could do better if the side was 2 window like the front.
Thanked by: