Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Black filled textures
So I've been downloading a few models from The Models Resource and I'm noticing some models have just a drawing of something on it with black space.

For example, a model had wings. The wing textures were just drawings with black in place of the left overs (Some models that have had this are Pit from SSBB and the Blue-Eyes White Dragon) If the models were ripped from where the site says they were, the black part shouldn't exist.

I'm using Maya. Is there some sort of function that wipes out the black or something of the sort? What kind of texturing technique is this?
Thanked by:
The black is an Alpha Channel, and the Alpha channel is an Invisible part of the texture. A few 3D model viewers support Alphas.
Thanked by: Garamonde
when using autodesk maya or 3ds max, file-native opacity is not transferred, so textures that have transparent areas will appear black/grey. you need to make an opacity map Tongue

or i could be thinking of something else entirely
Thanked by:
Most of the time you can use the original texture as an opacity map.
(04-26-2012, 07:20 PM)alexmach1 Wrote: when using autodesk maya or 3ds max, file-native opacity is not transferred, so textures that have transparent areas will appear black/grey. you need to make an opacity map Tongue

or i could be thinking of something else entirely
Thanked by:
Try viewing the model in another program. Some programs don't show the alpha channel until you render the model (Blender sometimes does this).
[Image: tumblr_mzx6bm02eC1s38z45o1_500.gif]
Anonymous Wrote:...the world is so much simpler if you just dont give a FUCK...
Thanked by:
Ah, I see. Does anyone know where I might find the controller for the Alpha Channel? I am familiar with Alpha channels and how they work, I just have no idea where I might find it in Maya. The only "Alpha" control I've found practically makes the entire model and texture invisible.
Thanked by:
I suggest to search on google/youtube.
(04-29-2012, 12:22 AM)Sephirex Wrote: Ah, I see. Does anyone know where I might find the controller for the Alpha Channel? I am familiar with Alpha channels and how they work, I just have no idea where I might find it in Maya. The only "Alpha" control I've found practically makes the entire model and texture invisible.
Thanked by: ~Axis~