Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[IDEA] The Roshamboarder
Okay I normally don't do this (post one of my game ideas) but I really like this idea I had been brainstorming for past few days.

It's called: The Roshamboarder!

You play as a character called the Roshamboarder who has the power to transform himself and his hoverboard into a Rock form, a Paper form, and a Scissors form.

The object of the game is simple, get the boarder through the obstacle course by switching between those three forms.

The boarder will automatically move right, you simply tap one of four buttons on the screen (for tablet device or whatever) ROCK, PAPER, SCISSORS, JUMP

Each obstacle course has various... obstacles that can only be passed as certain forms.

For example, there are saw blades in your path! If your Paper you'll be cut to shreds! As Scissors you'll ricochet of the blades and bounce backwards. But as a Rock you'll crash right through those blades no problem!

You have to act pretty quickly because as you progress you start to speed up! Depending on how fast you make it through the course and how many times you die, you get a grade.

That's the general gist of it. What do you guys think? Do you think i should pursue this idea? Any advice?
Thanked by: Zadaben
This sounds kind of neat

but, if it goes fast, then you wouldn't really have time to logic out which form to use, right? Like, you can't sit there and see saw blades and think "HMM...what makes sense here?"

I guess you could use directions or tutorials or something, but that would probably limit how many obstacles you could use, unless you had directions before every level. You could put each new obstacle at the beginning of the level to let the player test it out while the level's still new and slow. I think bit trip runner does that. You could even color code the obstacles if you wanted.

Otherwise, you're just kind of leaving the player to trial and error, and it sounds kind of bogus to let them try really hard and get far only to come across a new obstacle and die because they didn't know what to do.

Anyway, I think it has potential depending on whether or not you can come up with creative obstacles.
[Image: sxv5uJR.gif]
Thanked by: Koopaul
Hm very good point. Perhaps it shouldn't go that fast. Maybe before the level starts the screen scrolls through all the obstacles and shows you what's in store.

I was thinking obstacles would include the sawblades I mentioned, big stone grinders that only Paper can slip through, tangle weeds that Scissors cuts through...

Hm I suppose we could have wind that Paper can float on too.

Thanked by:
This actually reminds me of an iOS game called Run Roo Run, where the play automatically moves right, but instead of transforming you tap the kangaroo to jump.

I like this idea better, but I think you should give Run Roo Run a look, too.

I'd like to play this game! You should definitely go for it!
Thanked by:
(04-22-2012, 10:11 PM)StarSock64 Wrote: You could put each new obstacle at the beginning of the level to let the player test it out while the level's still new and slow.

I recommend this. It allows the player to get used to what they need to do without making them feel cheated, and without patronising them with obvious tutorials.
Thanked by:
(04-23-2012, 02:33 PM)Sengir Wrote: This actually reminds me of an iOS game called Run Roo Run, where the play automatically moves right, but instead of transforming you tap the kangaroo to jump.

I like this idea better, but I think you should give Run Roo Run a look, too.

I'd like to play this game! You should definitely go for it!

It also reminds me of Alex Kidd, the origional mascot, a bit due to the similar "ROCK, PAPER, CISSORS" gameplay style, only more complex which makes it a bit more intresting.
Thanked by:
I'll do some sketches and things. Thanks for the feedback guys!
Thanked by:
I know it seems like it'd go against the original concept, but to me this sounds like it'd be more fitting for a puzzle game where each level you're presented with a scenario and need to choose the right form to get past it.
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by: