Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
TSR 2012 Nuzlocke All-Stars!
TSR 2012 NUZLOCKE ALL-STARS

Ok, so I've been itching to do a Nuzlocke run lately, but I didn't want to be alone. So I hatched this idea:

Nuzlocke All-Stars! is a tournament in which each participant begins a fresh file on any of the following games:

HG/SS* or D/P/Pt
(*Game completion includes only the Johto region, playing through the Kanto region as well is a violation as it adds and unfair edge to how many Pokemon you get and a level advantage)

Once each person has completed their game, we will have a bracket style tournament in which they pit their teams they used against the E4 against each other. Teams should not be altered after game completion to keep their integrity (no EV training them afterwards, teaching them TMs you can't get in the main game, etc etc).

The catch? You have to do the Nuzlocke Challenge during your play through. Unfamiliar with what the Nuzlocke Challenge entails? Check out the following link or read the comic in the spoilers.
http://www.nuzlocke.com/challenge.php

So what do you need to participate? A wi-fi connection so you can connect and battle with the other participants for battling purposes as well as one of the 4th generation Pokemon DS games (the widest selection of games with Wi-Fi available at the moment, sorry if you are not too fond of any of these games, it's the best I could do).

Here are the official Nuzlocke Challenge rules, as well as some optional ones I think you might enjoy:
1. You can only capture the first Pokemon encountered in each new area. If you fail to catch it, too bad. In-game gift Pokemon may be used.
2. If a Pokemon faints, it is considered dead, and MUST be released into the wild.
3. No resetting to avoid either of these rules will be tolerated. All in-game actions are unfortunately final.
4. (Optional) Nickname all Pokemon you capture to make a closer bond between you and them.
5. (Optional) Detail your adventures in any medium you want, either through narrative, journals, a comic, whatever you want.

It would also be nice if you could keep the status of your current play through up to date in this thread (such as noting deaths, notable captures, etc) but it is not required.

I will close applications once a sizable amount of people join or interest begins to wane.

You may begin your game as soon as you sign up in the thread, but when I close applications, I will set a loose deadline for your games to be completed. I may change the deadline if people are having trouble finishing their runs by then.

To apply, please reply to this thread stating which game you will be playing and the rest is up to you! Update us as little or as much as you want. Strategize with other players, etc, etc, post your comics, whatever! If a lot of you end up making comics or narratives, I would be glad to catalog them all here in the first post for you.

QUICK EDIT: I'm not sure if there will be a prize. I might muster up some sort of cash prize, or I will sprite you and your team if you are the victor (since I'm notorious for my Pokemon spriting abilities). Any other suggestions would be appreciated! I might even do both. Expect the cash prize in the form of a paypal gift (probably $20-$50).

Current Participants
Quote:four24ever
[robo9]
GaryASPG
TomGuycott
Crappy Blue Luigi
Vic
Fuhrer of Funk
Marvelous
Sengir
masquerain
AuraPigOnStilts

Happy hunting, and may the odds be ever in your favor.
[Image: ZJO1oF0.gif]
I thought the original Nuzlocke rules also said you could only use a Pokémon center once per town?
Thanked by: water dog
I'm down with this
[Image: 803ce84258.gif]
(04-12-2012, 01:24 PM)Time Lord KKM Wrote: I thought the original Nuzlocke rules also said you could only use a Pokémon center once per town?

I don't think that was ever said. There are additional rules people have added such as no healing/recovery items and such but the only two official rules are the two mentioned on the site/comic.
Thanked by:
This isn't the original comic though, the one for that one Ruby nuzlocke was

Mind you, it probably didn't say anything about Pokémon Centers and I'm just misremembering though
Thanked by:
(04-12-2012, 01:53 PM)Time Lord KKM Wrote: This isn't the original comic though, the one for that one Ruby nuzlocke was

Mind you, it probably didn't say anything about Pokémon Centers and I'm just misremembering though

heres the original, no mention of pokemon centers. Tongue
Thanked by:
Didn't Jar Jar make a challenge thread similar to this back when spamhaul was open?
Discord is Dioshiba#9513
Thanked by:
There it is, I was just misremembering. Good show then, I think you're set.
Thanked by:
i will do this probably maybe
Thanked by:
For those who are actually participating, you may start your Nuzlocke run NOW. Please not that it MUST be in one of the following games (this is to make battling compatability a non-issue, considering GBA gmes can't battle against DS games and B/W can't battle with 4th gen games):

Heart Gold
Soul Silver
Platinum
Diamond
Pearl

The choice is completely up to you. Players who choose to do their run in HG/SS must only beat the Johto league, continuing on into Kanto is actually forbidden because it opens way more opportunities to catch and train Pokemon beyond D/P/Pt.

The only rules that will be placed on your run are the original 2. You MUST release a Pokemon if it faints and you can only catch the first one in each area. If you fail to catch it, you do not get any second chances, that route is a 'dead route.' Gift Pokemon (such as eggs and Eevees) are fair game. Happy hunting trainers! Once enough people have applied, I will set a due date (that may be extended).
updated first post with more details
Thanked by:
This may be a stupid question, buttt

Should this be done on the DS or ROM?
[Image: 803ce84258.gif]
Thanked by:
either?
[Image: b6Bqjzn.gif]
Thanked by:
DS, unless ROMs can connect to wi-fi with other DS users, I'd appreciate it all to be on legit games
Thanked by:
Oh man, I've been dying to try a Nuzlocke run

My only issue is I lack a DS Pokemon cartridge that I'm willing to restart : (
HAVE I BEEN MISLEAD?? [Image: TeamStory.gif] THE DREAM ISN'T DEAD???

Thanked by:
I would love to do this. I'll set up a file to be cleared tonight or tomorrow and get started right after.