Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
So I dug up my old PS1!
And the controller won't stop vibrating, and I'm not female enough to enjoy it properly.

But that's not what this thread is about! Lately, I've been getting more and more into Western-style RPG's, and more and more into PS1 titles in general (may buy a '64 when I have the disposable income for it), so I'm wondering if you fine folks have any recommendations for any real-time RPG titles on the system. I've already got a copy of King's Field (well, King's Field II, technically) on the way from Amazon to see if I'll enjoy that, but I thought to myself, "Hey! The Resource has a varied bunch in its community, they'd have some ideas!"

But yeah, you've likely got the gist of it by this point. Any suggestions would be appreciated, or if you just wanna call me a dick or whatever, it's cool.

But please, no JRPG's; I know that they flourished on the system, but I have nowhere near the Herculean patience required for them.

PS: While proof-reading, I noticed that I seem a bit hypocritical by ordering King's Field (a Japanese-developed RPG, specifically by From Software, who are currently emasculating a number of you with Dark Souls) and subsequently declining offers of JRPG's, so I should clarify: When I say JRPG, I specifically refer to those where you do more watching than playing, fight through menus, that sort of thing. Pretty much every Final Fantasy game on the system and released afterward. Not trying to belittle those who enjoy them, I just don't.
[Image: 332arg3.jpg]
Kilgore Trout Wrote:I let her touch my PSP once, and she was all "where are the a and b buttons" ;3;
I never played Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, but I loved the later games, but those were more like action-oriented games with puzzle aspects. Might want to look into that a little.

Azure Dreams is a fun dungeon crawler, although I would definitely classify it as a JRPG considering the aspects of dating sim-esque story mixed in. However, you can choose to completely ignore that aspect and JUST dungeon crawl.
Thanked by:
Parappa the Rapper and Um Jammer Lammy

I don't care if you want RPGs you have a PS1 so you need to play them
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Vagrant Story is pretty much what you want. It is a Japanese developed game, but it's very very good, action RPG, which really deserves a remake.
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by:
I know it's not an rpg but

EDIT: Oh and also

Thanked by: Dazz, recme
(04-10-2012, 08:59 PM)TomGuycott Wrote: I never played Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, but I loved the later games, but those were more like action-oriented games with puzzle aspects. Might want to look into that a little.

I've actually got this one. It's aged as well as roadkill, but if you can get into it, it'll get into you. Azure Dreams looks nifty.

VS: Parappa the Rappa is how I initially learned the placement of the buttons on the PS1 controller. c:

And holyshit Vib-Ribbon looks like something I'll play while shroomin.'

I actually had a demo of Sheep Hunter (as Sheep, Dog, and Wolf was called in the 'States) a while back, but could never find it anywhere. Now I'll certainly be looking again, though.

Thanks for the heads-up on Vagrant Story as well, Dazz! Normally I see the Square or Squeenix logo on a PS1 case and take it as a warning flag, but judging from the gameplay vids I'm watching, it looks like a blast. c:

Y'all're fuckin' rad. Cute
Kilgore Trout Wrote:I let her touch my PSP once, and she was all "where are the a and b buttons" ;3;
Thanked by:
Pff, if you're looking for stuff to play while on shrooms

Thanked by:
Azure Dreams is pretty fun, but damn does it take a lot of dedication to complete. I've owned the game 12/13 years, and I've still not completed it. Not kept the same save file of course, but it's seriously fun to play.
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by:
(04-11-2012, 03:21 AM)Dazz Wrote: Vagrant Story is pretty much what you want. It is a Japanese developed game, but it's very very good, action RPG, which really deserves a remake.
I've seen this at a local used games/cd store, I'm going to pick this up. I looked it up and it looks great!

[Image: b6Bqjzn.gif]
Thanked by:
I think everyone is conspiring to prevent me from getting Vagrant Story

but it has my seal of approval

probably one of the few times i'll agree with dazz ~ever~
Thanked by:
Alundra

Brave Fencer Musashi

Parasite Eve 1 & 2.

Dino Crisis 2.

thast all.
Thanked by:
meta suggested parasite eve 1 & 2 already (i was going to suggest that...): )
so uh, legend of dragoon is super neat, final fantasy 8 is poorly received but also really neat, and chrono cross is excellent
[Image: cKfiI0F.png]
Thinking of you, 
wherever you are.
Thanked by: Tellis, Gwen
All three Gex: Enter the Gecko parts. Spyro the Dragon 1-3.
Thanked by: Cobalt Blue
i believe he did mention he was not interested in JRPGs
Thanked by:
Said it before, say it again: Y'all are fuckin' rad. c:
Thanked by: