Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Mother 3: "Let's Play" or just play it myself?
I have a feeling that you guys are going to, off the bat, say for me to play it myself. Read on, though.

See, I never really feel like I have much time to play another very long-winded RPG game. Earthbound was long as is, but it was worth every second.

But now I'm a senior in high school nearing graduation (about a month), thus I have so much to worry about that's more important. However, I have heard nothing but spectacular reviews about Mother 3, and in all honesty I really don't want to miss out.

I decided that I'd watch a playthrough (though hadn't actually done so yet), but at an anime convention just in March, a girl and I (she was cosplaying as Ness) got into a short discussion about the Mother series. I asked her about Mother 3 and what I planned on doing, but she as-a-matter-of-factly stated that it wouldn't be the same--not even a little bit--if I were to watch a playthrough over actually playing it myself.

I honestly don't know anymore. I guess I feel as if playthroughs are faster because usually the uploader knows what he/she's doing in the game (unless it's just a blind playthrough). Earthbound was already a pain in the ass as is, it took me about a month (eh, I played on and off, at least maybe an hour or so every day) to finish.

Anyways, I've noticed that several, several people here have all played through Mother 3, therefore I just wanted to know what you guys recommend (given my situation).

Thanks!
[Image: BannerMain.gif]
Thanked by:
third option: do a blind let's play.
Thanked by: Speed-X, Baegal
Hmm. That could work, since there's a clear relation between two people (player and the viewer) that don't really have an idea of what to expect.

I guess what I may ask, though, is how exactly would that differ in the long run?

By the way, thanks for the suggestion.
Thanked by:
no, i meant for you to record a blind let's play.

it wasn't a particularly serious suggestion.
Thanked by:
If you don't have the time, then I would honestly just wait until you are able to play it.
I have not played the game myself, but I will tell you that by watching a video of the game's ending, it loses so much of the impact than if you had experienced the whole game, and you will not be able to feel that feeling when you have just conquered an entire difficult game, that accomplishment.
I'm just saying, you'll probably regret watching it on YouTube.
BTW... why would you watch an ending without even playing or getting to know a game? It'll still be there after you graduate and have some more time...
Just my thoughts.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by: puggsoy
Watching the ending? No, that's silly. XD I was planning on watching the entire game being played through. Thanks for the feedback though, you make a good point.
Thanked by: Garamonde
I don't see the point of watching a game's play-through on YouTube just so that you've seen it. The whole point of a game is that you experience it fully, you are the main character, you do stuff. Simply watching someone else play it as opposed to playing it yourself practically defeats the purpose of the game itself. What's more, a lot of games are good because of how the player experiences the game, and watching it being played absolutely annihilates that dimension.

As an example, if you were to watch a Braid walkthrough, that would be the most horrible choice in gaming you would ever have made. You would have no idea why it was so highly rated. That's because Braid's greatness comes from the player discovering the answer to puzzles by themselves. In every level there is some little detail that you just can't manage to see. And when you finally figure out how to solve it, when that little switch goes *click* in your head, that is what you enjoy. That is what Braid is all about. Not the arbitrarily cryptic story, not the beautiful graphics, not the wonderful music, but actually solving the puzzles yourself.

I realise that the above paragraph is very specific to Braid. However, I'm sure that lots of other games, including Mother 3, will be extremely under-experienced if you don't play them yourself. You say in your post that you've heard "nothing but spectacular reviews", and I can tell you that those reviews weren't written by people who watched a playthrough.
I highly recommend getting everything you can out of the game, and to do that you must play it. If you don't have the time, do it later. And if people are gonna bug you because you haven't played the game, or they really want to discuss the storyline, well then tough cheese for them.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thank you for the constructive comment. Yes, I am familiar with Braid, and I am indeed guilty of watching a complete playthrough; however, I paid no mind. It was a blind run-through with commentary, so even though I was observing rather than playing, I was still actively thinking about solutions to the puzzles and reacted similarly when he figured one out.

But I digress! Anyway, I think you've changed my mind about watching a playthrough of it. I think I will indeed take some time to start on the game--perhaps after I graduate / before I start working and during this weekend.

Thank you very much, once again.
Thanked by: Garamonde, puggsoy
No problem, I actually enjoyed writing all that. It's rare when I can actually rant about this kind of stuff and be helpful at the same time Tongue

And good to know you've made your decision. Of course, what I said is all my personal opinion, but I do still kind of like it that you agree Genki ^_^
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
M3 is actually pretty short if i remember correctly.

Thanked by: Shawn
(04-03-2012, 02:54 AM)puggsoy Wrote: I don't see the point of watching a game's play-through on YouTube just so that you've seen it. The whole point of a game is that you experience it fully, you are the main character, you do stuff. Simply watching someone else play it as opposed to playing it yourself practically defeats the purpose of the game itself. What's more, a lot of games are good because of how the player experiences the game, and watching it being played absolutely annihilates that dimension.

As an example, if you were to watch a Braid walkthrough, that would be the most horrible choice in gaming you would ever have made. You would have no idea why it was so highly rated. That's because Braid's greatness comes from the player discovering the answer to puzzles by themselves. In every level there is some little detail that you just can't manage to see. And when you finally figure out how to solve it, when that little switch goes *click* in your head, that is what you enjoy. That is what Braid is all about. Not the arbitrarily cryptic story, not the beautiful graphics, not the wonderful music, but actually solving the puzzles yourself.

I realise that the above paragraph is very specific to Braid. However, I'm sure that lots of other games, including Mother 3, will be extremely under-experienced if you don't play them yourself. You say in your post that you've heard "nothing but spectacular reviews", and I can tell you that those reviews weren't written by people who watched a playthrough.
I highly recommend getting everything you can out of the game, and to do that you must play it. If you don't have the time, do it later. And if people are gonna bug you because you haven't played the game, or they really want to discuss the storyline, well then tough cheese for them.

I do remember beating a few games (or at least playing myself) before starting to watch an LP. Though, I'd rather not get my hands dirty on the more shittier titles, so I just let whatever poor bloke let 'em have it and watch his tomfoolery.
Thanked by:
puggsoy Wrote:No problem, I actually enjoyed writing all that. It's rare when I can actually rant about this kind of stuff and be helpful at the same time

And good to know you've made your decision. Of course, what I said is all my personal opinion, but I do still kind of like it that you agree
Well, you made a few great points. Smile And hahah, that's good. Tongue

Suigin Wrote:M3 is actually pretty short if i remember correctly.
Ah, really? I'm assuming about the same length as Earthbound then...?
Even Earthbound took me a while though. Can't help but wonder what took so long since I basically played it every day and read a walkthrough to help me along the way and such. Ouch!

Gaia Wrote:I do remember beating a few games (or at least playing myself) before starting to watch an LP. Though, I'd rather not get my hands dirty on the more shittier titles, so I just let whatever poor bloke let 'em have it and watch his tomfoolery.
That tends to be what I do at times; well, at least with games where I don't really have all the time in the world to play, such as how I did with Braid. Earthbound though was pretty straightfoward. But nonetheless!
Thanked by:
I think it was shorter than Earthbound, I can't really say since i played this four years ago but I'm pretty sure it took me less time than Earthtbound.

Thanked by: Baegal