Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Custom Samus WIP
Hello, i am currently making a rly low poly Samus Aran in her Varia suit 3d model.
I wanted you guys to tell me if im doing great so far.

[Image: custommetroidmodel.png]

Will prob make textures and also upload on here.
Thanked by:
Why would you make a low poly model anyway?
Thanked by:
(03-21-2012, 02:53 PM)thegameexplorer Wrote: Why would you make a low poly model anyway?

because i like low polygon, reminds me of old games Tongue
Thanked by: Skorpion, Garamonde
The head doesnt look very good... It really doesnt have ANY details
Thanked by:
(03-21-2012, 03:14 PM)thegameexplorer Wrote: The head doesnt look very good... It really doesnt have ANY details

>Custom Samus WIP
>Samus WIP
>WIP

Enough details for ya ? lol

Its only a work in progress right now
wich mean its still undergoing MAJOR changes.
Thanked by:
Sorry, my bad. Anyway shouldnt this be in the model discussion section? Since this isnt a model ripping Project Question
Thanked by: Bazinga!, Garamonde
(03-21-2012, 03:18 PM)sth29 Wrote:
(03-21-2012, 03:14 PM)thegameexplorer Wrote: The head doesnt look very good... It really doesnt have ANY details

>Custom Samus WIP
>Samus WIP
>WIP

Enough details for ya ? lol

Its only a work in progress right now
wich mean its still undergoing MAJOR changes.
Tthegameexploror's post wasn't super helpful, but that doesn't mean you need to reply with any sarcastic posts, that just makes you look bad.
Anyway, he is right about the head, look at the shape of it in this pic.
http://samus101.files.wordpress.com/2010...ires11.jpg
The gun needs to be a little smaller too.
(03-21-2012, 03:27 PM)thegameexplorer Wrote: Sorry, my bad. Anyway shouldnt this be in the model discussion section? Since this isnt a model ripping Project Question
Yeah, it should be.
[Image: 582217063e.png][Image: RWDCRik.png]

Thanked by: Bazinga!, Skorpion, Garamonde
thanks for your constructive criticism. Smile
Oh btw i should have mentionned that it is based off to be more super metroid-ish
because i kinda have this idea for a project of a 2.5d metroid game
and well since the camera will be a bit far, might as well make the model low poly Tongue
Thanked by: Shade, Skorpion, Garamonde
Looks good so far. :smile:
Thanked by: Bazinga!
It'd be useful if you uploaded some images of the wireframe, it's kinda difficult to give c&c on low poly stuff without seeing that. Wink

It would be worth showing a front view and a side view too, so people can more easily see any mistakes with the anatomy.

At the moment, I can't really tell if that bit at the end of her left arm (our right) is her elbow or her hand. If it's her elbow, the upper arm would be too long, relative to the torso. If it's her hand, the arm needs a lot more definition to be readable.

I don't know if this is more of a Metroid Prime design point, but I'm used to seeing Samus with a kinda hourglass figure. Typically her waist will be super thin, then the ribcage part of the suit will be really wide.

Do you have a target triangle count for the model? "Low poly" is pretty relative, I've seen it applied to models with only a few dozen triangles to those with thousands.

Oh, and could you maybe link us to some reference images you're using? That way, we can know exactly which look you're aiming for. Wink

I've always liked the idea of a 2.5D Metroid game, I loved Super Metroid. (Infact, I've been playing it again recently.)

I really like low poly stuff too, there's something really cool about getting detail into something so limited. Smile

One last note for now, there's a low poly thread on the Polycount forums that I've been watching for ages now, people have made some really cool stuff. It's worth taking a look if you need any inspiration, or are having trouble with anything.
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthrea...2&page=340
Thanked by:
(03-21-2012, 05:09 PM)Skorpion Wrote: It'd be useful if you uploaded some images of the wireframe, it's kinda difficult to give c&c on low poly stuff without seeing that. Wink

It would be worth showing a front view and a side view too, so people can more easily see any mistakes with the anatomy.

At the moment, I can't really tell if that bit at the end of her left arm (our right) is her elbow or her hand. If it's her elbow, the upper arm would be too long, relative to the torso. If it's her hand, the arm needs a lot more definition to be readable.

I don't know if this is more of a Metroid Prime design point, but I'm used to seeing Samus with a kinda hourglass figure. Typically her waist will be super thin, then the ribcage part of the suit will be really wide.

Do you have a target triangle count for the model? "Low poly" is pretty relative, I've seen it applied to models with only a few dozen triangles to those with thousands.

Oh, and could you maybe link us to some reference images you're using? That way, we can know exactly which look you're aiming for. Wink

I've always liked the idea of a 2.5D Metroid game, I loved Super Metroid. (Infact, I've been playing it again recently.)

I really like low poly stuff too, there's something really cool about getting detail into something so limited. Smile

One last note for now, there's a low poly thread on the Polycount forums that I've been watching for ages now, people have made some really cool stuff. It's worth taking a look if you need any inspiration, or are having trouble with anything.

Well thank you mister Big Grin, not only for taking the time to write all this Very Sad
but also for the ideas for the views and wireframe Smile i should get the pics uploaded in a few minutes Smile
and well for a reference i was taking the metroid 64 model pic [Image: samus_n64.jpg&w=188&h=281&ei=UlVqT7CpA5O...,r:13,s:18]

i know i kinda failed but i am also refering from the super metroid sprites at the same time Tongue

Edit: http://bit.ly/GE77SY Picture of the model from metroid 64
Thanked by:
From what I see it's looking pretty good so far as a base. What alot of the posters above me seem to be dealing with is a lack of understanding how low poly models work. In low poly work you bring out as much detail with the texture and in some cases *(normal/displacement maps)

Keeping the head and body limited to simply geometric shapes is a good thing when starting out. Even in high poly modeling you want to keep things as clean and simple as possible before adding in more loops as needed. Your work seems to be on the right track so far. Are you using reference images in front and side? that's the standard for basic modeling to get the form and shape going correctly and I'd recommend it. Modeling from pure imagination can end up with incorrect anatomy and bad silhouette.

If you're interested in lowpoly modeling in particular I'm part of a great site that's devoted to nothing but that.

Here's a link to my current WIP thread.

http://forum.lowpolyworkshop.com/topic/9357795/2/#new

If you're planning on making a game out of it it could help to look into the warcraft mod communities such as GV, WCU, Chaosrealm, ect. as well for help on implementing custom characters into engines.

Thanked by: Bazinga!
(03-21-2012, 08:02 PM)gagex2z Wrote: From what I see it's looking pretty good so far as a base. What alot of the posters above me seem to be dealing with is a lack of understanding how low poly models work. In low poly work you bring out as much detail with the texture and in some cases *(normal/displacement maps)

Keeping the head and body limited to simply geometric shapes is a good thing when starting out. Even in high poly modeling you want to keep things as clean and simple as possible before adding in more loops as needed. Your work seems to be on the right track so far. Are you using reference images in front and side? that's the standard for basic modeling to get the form and shape going correctly and I'd recommend it. Modeling from pure imagination can end up with incorrect anatomy and bad silhouette.

If you're interested in lowpoly modeling in particular I'm part of a great site that's devoted to nothing but that.

Here's a link to my current WIP thread.

http://forum.lowpolyworkshop.com/topic/9357795/2/#new

If you're planning on making a game out of it it could help to look into the warcraft mod communities such as GV, WCU, Chaosrealm, ect. as well for help on implementing custom characters into engines.
WEll thank you very much Smile and i do enjoy more low poly modeling than anything else rly! (exept animating Tongue )
and i am interessted in joining that site Big Grin
Thanked by:
(03-21-2012, 05:09 PM)Skorpion Wrote: It'd be useful if you uploaded some images of the wireframe, it's kinda difficult to give c&c on low poly stuff without seeing that. Wink

Sorry for the late reply. Recently got done with a trip me & my folks went on. And replying on the last quote thanks for the link.
Thanked by:
MOVED TO MODEL DISCUSSION!
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by: Shade