Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
SaGa Frontier sprites
A newcomer tentatively steps onto the scene...

I thought I might try my hand at getting SaGa Frontier sprites better represented in the online archives. It was harder than I thought it would be, but I've been sticking to it and I have many WIPs. (Lots of tile sheets I haven't even touched yet, if anyone wants to help out!) To tentatively present my first sprite sheet for submission, here's Rocky:

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r603..._rocky.png

Am I doing this right? Big Grin
Thanked by:
Looks pretty good to me! Smile
[Image: 582217063e.png][Image: RWDCRik.png]

Thanked by:
SaGa Frontier is for the PSX? I always thought it was for the PS2. No wonder I could never find it.

Do the sprites look that blurry in game?
Thanked by: Garamonde
257 colours (with the white font). It looks like a typical pre-renderd sprite for PSX, that's for sure.

Nice rip =)
Thanked by: Reichu
Thanks for the feedback so far! Big Grin

Davy Jones: 257 colors? Blasphemy! I'll make sure I upload a fix when I put some new sheets up (hopefully tomorrow).

Pre-rendered is typical for PSX sprites, eh? I don't think I've played enough sprite-heavy PSX games to know. Frontier uses a combination of pre-rendered and hand-drawn, as far as I can tell.

Belial: For the PSX, definitely. It came out in 1997/1998, during SquareSoft's ( :wistful sigh: ) post-FF7 rush output of games.

The blurriness on Rocky might be an artifact of whatever was done to create the sprites in the first place (sampling down the colors?), but that's as sharp as the sprite is going to look; it's straight from the tiles. (Tiles... :shudders: ) In the game itself, in-battle sprites are actually subjected to constant scaling (the battlefield is faux 3-D, pop-up book style) that makes them look very jagged and deformed. Here's a couple of examples to give ya'll an idea: Eins, zwei, drei.
Thanked by:
Zwei and drei lead to the same image. Tongue
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanks, Jetters. Fixed now.

I feel silly for asking, but does anyone here know offhand how to make the number of colors used in the image show up in Photoshop 7.0? (I did try Help; and I don't want to chance getting entangled in a Google search right now.) It likes to show how many I'm going to reduce to as a result of optimization, but I don't want to accidentally lose colors when I'm submitting stuff for archive...

It's a half-hour before "tomorrow" here, so might as well post some things.

- [Image: saga-frontier_rocky_icon.png] Revised Rocky
- [Image: saga-frontier_snakeman_icon.png] Snakeman (Not the coolest enemy, but the tiles were straightforward. No relation to the robot villain.)
- [Image: saga-frontier_kylin_icon.png] Kylin (Weird translation for Kirin/Qilin. This kirin looks kind of like Big Bird when its mouth is open, but that doesn't make it any less awesome.)
- [Image: saga-frontier_bfield_vs-kylin_icon.png] Battlefield where one of the characters (Blue, the not-so-friendly wizard) battles Kylin to the death. (Kylin's a recruitable for everyone else; the sprite is a chibi version of the previous, but much more difficult to unscramble from the tiles.)

More to come.
Quote:257 colors? Blasphemy! I'll make sure I upload a fix when I put some new sheets up (hopefully tomorrow).
no need for that, the sheet is perfectly fine.

255 colours: The sprite.
1 Colour: Background.
1 Colour: Your font.
Do these get added to the site archive eventually? Is there something special I have to do?

Well, here are some more.

[Image: saga-frontier_magic-kingdom_ow_icon.png] Magic Kingdom: Overworld
[Image: saga-frontier_despair_unused_icon.png] Despair: Unused Area
[Image: saga-frontier_despair_ward-off_icon.png] Despair: Warden's Office
[Image: saga-frontier_emelia_house_icon.png] Emelia's House
[Image: saga-frontier_furdo-chamber_icon.png] Furdo's Workshop: Furdo's Chamber
Thanked by:
They get put up faster if you make the icons for them yourself.

Check this thread.
Thanked by: Garamonde, Reichu
you also have to wait for an admin/mod like tonberry or me to upload it once we have icons.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
Oh, my bad. Forgot about the icons.

BTW, would it be better for me to lump multiple maps from the same general location into a single sheet as opposed to splitting them up? Is there a consensus of sorts on this?
Thanked by:
It's not really necessary, whatever you want to do I suppose.
Also, I can make icons for you if you don't have the time. I'd be happy to do it! Smile
[Image: 582217063e.png][Image: RWDCRik.png]

Much obliged for the offer, Shade. :bow: For my first time (teehee), I figured I'd give the icon maker an honest try. It was actually kind of fun... (Well, except when the front of the second line of text disappeared for no apparent reason and I had to trick the gizmo to get results.) Picking which tiny little section of a bitmap ought to represent the whole image, and all.

Previous posts updated with icons -- can't miss 'em!
Thanked by: Shade
I've uploaded these all for you now - sorry for the wait! I'm back into the business of uploading people's stuff... Really neglected it far too long Smile

These are great! Big Grin
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by: Garamonde, Reichu