Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Portal 2: Atlas
i realized i was submitting it to the wrong forum; submissions, so thankfully no one saw it, so now, i hope i am putting this on the correct forum.
i made an atlas model. when i uploaded my last model, someone said they got rid of over 600 unused vertices, or whatever. so, I got rid of most of the unused vertices ( or whatever) myself. so there is 916 vertices, and 651 faces, does that count as low poly? well, i made this:
[Image: atlas1.png]
and here is the link:
Atlas
i ALSO realized the model is kinda screwed up, i flipped normals, that kinda worked, but it still turned out like this:
[Image: atlas_2.png] (i turned it to show more detail)
i don't know if it is just my terrible video card, or something else i screwed up, because i DID mirror the parts a lot to get it correct. so if you see what the flaws are (on blender please) tell me so i can fix them (including textures)
but if it's not uploaded to models-recourse, anyone can still use it, but make sure to give credit to me. plz.
[Image: ROB.png]
Are-Owe-Bee, R.O.B!
Thanked by:
Meh, the texture looks abit awful
Thanked by: Bazinga!
(03-13-2012, 01:07 AM)thegameexplorer Wrote: Meh, the texture looks abit awful

It's best to not make posts like these without any sort of criticism/advice on how he could improve them, since just saying that they're awful doesn't really help him.

While I agree that they seem a bit bland, maybe you could add more details to the textures? Notably the pure white parts?
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by: Perseus, Shade
I'll guess you need to look more at your signature, it gives a good example how to top texture should look like. Just looking at the eye, the texture you made for that could be remade to look a little more like the one in the picture, and try to render it next time so we can better so how it looks like rendered.
Thanked by: Garamonde
ok, i dont really waht to make him look dirty, because, well, he's a robot built for testing a portable portal device.
Are-Owe-Bee, R.O.B!
Thanked by:
Well look at the image of Atlas in your signature as a reference. You can see that he has some logos/paint/screws, etc. all over. The other things I notice quickly are the differences in the smooth edges of Atlas. He's got no sharp corners, and everything is rounded nicely. The model you have is a bit pointy, and not too round anywhere.
**Though mostly inactive on the forums, you can shoot me a PM and I'll try to respond as soon as I can. PM notices get emailed to me!

You can also catch me on Discord: John2k4#5788
Thanked by:
ok, so i HOPE i made the textures better, and for the pointy bits, i just have to add one side and it could still be low poly? oh well, here's the link:
Atlas V2
i also realized i made the eye too small.
Are-Owe-Bee, R.O.B!
Thanked by:
I updated your model a bit, used a great smoothing feature in 3DS Max called "Meshsmooth" which makes the model high poly and it smooths it impressivelyTongue
[Image: renderx.png]
Link
Thanked by:
And maybe you could reuse some textures from the portal turrets Smile
Thanked by:
thanx for the smoothening, but that is REALLY slow on my computer, and your right, that IS a lot of polygons, but not even the atlas from portal is that smooth, i know, i have it (in ssbb character hack format, so i cant show u unless u have brawlvault, or just download it) and it wouldn't really be custom if i downloaded textures some one ELSE ripped, and i don't have portal/portal 2, so don't ask me to rip them.
ps: this is NOT really about my atlas model, but have you been to the new temporary site for brawlvault?
Are-Owe-Bee, R.O.B!
Thanked by:
The Brawl hacking scene never attracted me that much, actually it is because I'm Pal and my TV cant run NTSC games since the best moddable Brawl is the NTSC version because of the rel files.
And BTW this isnt very high poly... you just have an old computer I guess
(03-16-2012, 09:01 PM)optimuskirby Wrote: thanx for the smoothening, but that is REALLY slow on my computer, and your right, that IS a lot of polygons, but not even the atlas from portal is that smooth, i know, i have it (in ssbb character hack format, so i cant show u unless u have brawlvault, or just download it) and it wouldn't really be custom if i downloaded textures some one ELSE ripped, and i don't have portal/portal 2, so don't ask me to rip them.
ps: this is NOT really about my atlas model, but have you been to the new temporary site for brawlvault?

Thanked by:
(03-16-2012, 09:01 PM)optimuskirby Wrote: thanx for the smoothening, but that is REALLY slow on my computer, and your right, that IS a lot of polygons, but not even the atlas from portal is that smooth, i know, i have it (in ssbb character hack format, so i cant show u unless u have brawlvault, or just download it)

Well you might need to upgrade something hardware-wise, since your current one is of low poly..
Yes, Atlas from Portal 2 IS that smooth; just look at your signature. He's very smooth.

As for the Brawl thing - I'd bet my hat that if you tried to put the complete, full Atlas model in Brawl, it would crash. The one from Portal 2 is of a very high quality (triangle and vertices-wise).

(03-16-2012, 09:01 PM)optimuskirby Wrote: and it wouldn't really be custom if i downloaded textures some one ELSE ripped, and i don't have portal/portal 2, so don't ask me to rip them.

I'll upload you the .mdl file for Atlas ripped right out of the game in a bit if I can get to that computer.
**Though mostly inactive on the forums, you can shoot me a PM and I'll try to respond as soon as I can. PM notices get emailed to me!

You can also catch me on Discord: John2k4#5788
Thanked by: Garamonde
Well, A model is still custom when it uses textures from another model. The Mesh is custom
Thanked by:
ok, i know this isnt about my model but u have it all wrong john2k4, here's the link:ssbb Coop Bots
and your wrong, i have this on my brawl, and it NEVER crashes, BUT if u have 2-4 on there, of course it gets slow.so please, don't rip the .mdl file. u can for yourself, but not for me.
but as for the atlas model, your new very smooth model has more polygons than the actual model. and yes, i know my computer is slow.
Are-Owe-Bee, R.O.B!
Thanked by:
Your atlas model isnt is too low poly for it to be smoothed efficiently. The higher poly one is more smooth and is more "Portal" like
Thanked by: