Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
First attempt at a custom sprite (Please give constructive criticism)
It's Mario, striking pose
[Image: scaled.php?server=841&filename=marioq.png&res=medium]
Thanked by: Key, Sonikku
Why is he leaning to one side? It looks like he's going to fall over!
[Image: x1aIZ2e.gif]
YOU HAVE TO FEEL WHAT YOU DRAW, FEEL
[Image: shrine.gif]

Thanked by:
I didn't know Mario was so tall!

and his arm connects below his chest Shocked
Thanked by:
sorry but this doesn't resemble Mario at all. Have you seen pics of him when making this? Mario doesn't have a circle head and thin as hell body and limbs, nor he's tall enough to look like a huge needle.

His clothing is totally off. That isn't even an overall, in fact I don't even know what that is.

there are so much things that need help, so give a check on this section's spriting dictionary for all the basics.

Still, I respect you for trying something original instead of editing.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
(03-11-2012, 06:09 PM)Gors Wrote: sorry but this doesn't resemble Mario at all. Have you seen pics of him when making this? Mario doesn't have a circle head and thin as hell body and limbs, nor he's tall enough to look like a huge needle.

His clothing is totally off. That isn't even an overall, in fact I don't even know what that is.

there are so much things that need help, so give a check on this section's spriting dictionary for all the basics.

Still, I respect you for trying something original instead of editing.

Alright, I'll start again! I'll take the criticism and use the spriting dictionary. Wink
Eeyup! Although, if you are just starting, this is good. You have to start somewhere! Just make sure, as a next step and not going TOO far into the future, try to make the limbs wider, the body shorter, and add some sort of anatomy. Maybe sketch out the shapes for your first sketch. When I ever try to make pixels I actually always sketch a little picture on a piece of paper before I do it to help me.
Just some tips. Cute
I am raising some creatures. Help them grow before they die.
[Image: UHkBj.gif] [Image: QHWDL.gif] My Pokemonz! [Image: dragonpixel_727016.png] [Image: 64295733&trans=1.jpg]
Were we arguing? I'm sorry. -Fluttershy
Thanked by:
spriting is very much like drawing, know the basics.
Most widely used basis for skeletons is circles rectangles and lines.

I do it similar to this circle head, rectangle shoulders, line back alignment, semi-circle pelvis, line limbs, circle hands. with that you have your skeleton on which you can build your sprite, then flesh the skelle, then clean, then flesh the character.
[Image: examplesprite_by_pushbombshell-d4skypr.png]
This is applicable to more than just bipeds, providing you have a rough idea of how the proportions are on whatever your trying this with.
I just figured biped would be a simple common case of turning nothing into something.
Just keep trying and you'll get better! We didn't start out as professionals either you know. Wink

Like Gors said, just make sure you use references (but don't copy them, or it'll be considered tracing), study anatomy, learn shading, proper shapes, better color choices and etc., and looking at other people's sprites may help you as well. You'll see how they use various techniques in their work. That's actually how I improved -- seeing so many different sprites, getting to know how such sprites used said techniques, reading a few tutorials and more. I developed my skill from observing, rather than actually spriting. Isn't that weird? XD
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by: Ploaj
This still kinda sucks, but is it any better, I will try and make one a little better after this.
[Image: scaled.php?server=707&filename=mariozs.png&res=medium]
Next time it will have more shading, better shape, and something that looks more like a sprite than a drawing.
Thanked by:
That's better than before. Try and get some curves in there! Smile
[Image: x1aIZ2e.gif]
YOU HAVE TO FEEL WHAT YOU DRAW, FEEL
[Image: shrine.gif]

Thanked by:
(03-12-2012, 02:28 AM)Chris2Balls [:B] Wrote: That's better than before. Try and get some curves in there! Smile

Alright, the next one will actually be good. Tongue
Thanked by:
(03-11-2012, 10:11 PM)Powerstars321 Wrote: This still kinda sucks, but is it any better, I will try and make one a little better after this.
[Image: scaled.php?server=707&filename=mariozs.png&res=medium]
Next time it will have more shading, better shape, and something that looks more like a sprite than a drawing.

Lower his nose and make his overalls higher. Pretty good for a first sprite Nerd
[Image: XeE6VeC.gif]
Big change! Try to make some curves and get some human anatomy in there. I have a feeling you are using box shapes in Paint or whatver you are using...
Try not to use them as much. Challenge yourself. Cute
[Image: UHkBj.gif] [Image: QHWDL.gif] My Pokemonz! [Image: dragonpixel_727016.png] [Image: 64295733&trans=1.jpg]
(03-12-2012, 04:33 PM)Ivyleaf1212 Wrote: Big change! Try to make some curves and get some human anatomy in there. I have a feeling you are using box shapes in Paint or whatver you are using...

SIR YES SIR!!!
Thanked by:
(03-12-2012, 05:08 PM)Powerstars321 Wrote:
(03-12-2012, 04:33 PM)Ivyleaf1212 Wrote: Big change! Try to make some curves and get some human anatomy in there. I have a feeling you are using box shapes in Paint or whatver you are using...

SIR YES SIR!!!
I'm a girl. But I'll take it none the less. Cool
Can't wait to see the next version!
I feel inspired to make my own sprite now... Gonna do that. Cute
Thanked by: