Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Koopalings in PM-TTYD Stile
Hi guys!
Some time ago I writed that I wont to submit some customs about Paper Mario-TTYD, and finaly I started to dedicate on it.
My first idea was for some of my favourite characters in Mario series, that dont appear at all in any Paper Mario(for the moment).
The charactes I am talking about are the Koopalings, the eight sons of Bowser: Ludwig von Koopa, Lemmy, Roy, Wendy, Iggy, Morton J. , Larry and Bowser J.
I tried to make the shapes of one of them, for the moment: my favourite one, Morton J. , taking reference on the Bowser of TTYD. It is't already complete, but i choose to make an image of the work i have already done taked all together. Missing are lots of details, the right color gradients and other elements, but i anyway wont to know if i am on the right direction.

So, there it is. Hope you like it:

[Image: scaled.php?server=69&filename=mkj.png&res=medium]
Thanked by:
Dot.
Dot.
Dot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprite_(computer_graphics)

Pixel art. Vector. Raster.

Please learn the difference, then come back.
Thanked by:
(02-25-2012, 07:02 PM)Hoeloe Wrote: Dot.
Dot.
Dot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprite_(computer_graphics)

Pixel art. Vector. Raster.

Please learn the difference, then come back.

I know that what I made is a piece of crap, but is for that I decide to show to all you what i've done. For have critics, sure, but USEFULL CRITICS.
NOt just "Dot. Dot. Dot."
About the vector/raster thing, then I tell on this forum that I want to make PM-TTYD customs, Previous advised me to make it in vector grafics and later convert it in raster.
So please, can you clearly say to me what you dont like on my Morton, and if you can, a good way for convert vector in raster?
Or to make it in raster directly?
Thanked by:
I wasn't commenting on the quality of your artwork, but merely that you posted it in the "Sprite Projects" subforum, when what you have made is clearly not a sprite, or what this forum would usually deem as a project.
Thanked by: Garamonde
Moving this to Creativity.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
(02-26-2012, 12:53 PM)Hoeloe Wrote: I wasn't commenting on the quality of your artwork, but merely that you posted it in the "Sprite Projects" subforum, when what you have made is clearly not a sprite, or what this forum would usually deem as a project.
While you'r erioght about the "project" part, you're wrong about the "sprite" aspect. We've had these discussions. Go check out Paper Mario. Those are vector based sprites. And they are on the spriters resource.

But lets get started on Morton.
First things first: Don't use JPEG, that file format is meant for photographs and not for digital art. Use PNG instead.
The colors are quite badly chosen. Also, your Outlines are all of the same color and in many cases brighter than or really close to the fill. That should not be. Take a look at Bowser - the different parts have matching outlines.
Your lines are really jaggy/jiggly in several places. As if you were using a pen/line tool - you really should go for bezier curves when you create vector art. Take the control over your lines. Make them smooth and round, don't let them wiggle. Your work here doesn't have the feel a vector graphic should have.
Those thin lines you're using - for the hair and on the belly and the nostril - don't seem to fit PM style. I don't think thy used such noticably thinner lines.
Thanks for the move of treads and for the critics.
I am absolutely new in the world of the spriting and I hope you will be patient with me. I'm sorry for any uneasiness I caused. I dont wont at all to seem arrogant or something. I am there to learn.
I will completely restart my work on Morton, triign to do better this time.
Thanks to everyone, and hope that my final work will satisfy all you!
Thanks in particular to you, Previous. i will follow all your advices.
I'm back, and as i promise, i have made another try on Morton, and this time, i think that is much better!

[Image: scaled.php?server=689&filename=bobombc.png&res=medium]
If you like it, I will submit also his sprite (please tell my how can i do it!) and pass to another Koopaling. If you dont like it, i will restart (again), my work on it.
But i think that it's better than the old one was heavily critiched, cause was also a pleasure to make more honor to my favourite Koopaling, after have learned a bit better InkShape.
P.S: Only if you like it, you can also suggest to me the next Koopaling i have to make.
Thanked by:
It's vectors. If you worked properly, you won't have to "restart".

The perspective of the head - it should not be a full profile, but rather 3/4 or something.
The line thickness. Many of your lines are too thin for the style.
Again, the fill- and outline-colors clash, especially on the shell (the outline should always be darker than the fill).

To work as a sprite, you need to make it animatable. You need to create seperate parts which can be assembled, like in that bowser sheet. Being a single image, it's just a picture and not a sprite. One should be able to use it in a game.
(03-04-2012, 11:23 AM)Previous Wrote: It's vectors. If you worked properly, you won't have to "restart".

The perspective of the head - it should not be a full profile, but rather 3/4 or something.
The line thickness. Many of your lines are too thin for the style.
Again, the fill- and outline-colors clash, especially on the shell (the outline should always be darker than the fill).

To work as a sprite, you need to make it animatable. You need to create seperate parts which can be assembled, like in that bowser sheet. Being a single image, it's just a picture and not a sprite. One should be able to use it in a game.
I restarted the previous one because it........
Well, because is realy ugly, and i dont wont at all to make again the same errors i made thit it. But i think tha this time is't necessary.
Anyway, i know that it isn't a sprite. Is a preview of the sprite, for know if it is good or not, because i think that is useles i submit lost of huge, wrong sprite shees. It takes only space, and i think that there is a rule for space wasting.
Of curse, i have ready the sigle parts of the sprite sheees, ready for submission, but before i did it, the must be as perfect as possible.
So i will not restart (again!) but yust modify the Morton i've got.
Hope to can submit the new one soon, and next time, i will submit also his sprite shees(in a spoiler!)
Thanked by:
Why is Morton so big?
Morton was always smaller in stature than Bowser.
It looks like you just traced the original Bowser image from PM and slightly made it a different head.

[Image: FmY9K.jpg]

Thanked by:
(03-04-2012, 12:56 PM)Proton Wrote: Why is Morton so big?
Morton was always smaller in stature than Bowser.
It looks like you just traced the original Bowser image from PM and slightly made it a different head.

Is based on the Bowser on Paper Mario.
I know that is big, but at the moment I am more interested to find the right shape for him. Then i find it, i will adiust everything.
but anyway, you like it or not?
P.SSadnot only the head was different)
Thanked by:
Finally here I come, with another try:
if you like it, can you explain me how to submit it?

Thanked by:
I think his head is way too small compared to the rest of his body.
[Image: QUmE6.gif]
My Game Maker games (Dropbox download links):

Thanked by:
Also, I think that the image is JPEG'd and or shrunk.
[Image: 582217063e.png][Image: RWDCRik.png]