Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Double the size of a sprite without quality loss.
Hi guys!

For an assignment at school, I have to code an existing arcade game in c++. I have choosen Contra to remake, so I looked out for the required sprites. I have found the orignal ones, but I'm working at a resolution of 512x480 (double of the nes resolution).

This means that I have to double the size of the sprites. But when I do this, the sprites start to get blurry and ugly.

Is their someone who can do it correctly (or make the sprites at the right size?).

The sprites I currently have are attached to this post.

Thanks guys!
Thanked by:
You have to resize the sprites by a factor of 200% without interpolation. This obviously increases the file size as well.
Thanked by: Koetje
Hmm, could you give me instructions how to do this in Photoshop (or another program)?
Seems like I can't find the right buttons
Found it!

Thnaks for your help, dude
Thanked by:
I don't have Photoshop, but you can try Gimp (it's free). Click on "Image" in the menu bar and then "scale image". Enter '200' in the width and height fields and make sure to select 'percent' instead of 'px'. Finally, set 'interpolation' to 'none' and click on 'scale'.

http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tutorial-qu...scale.html
Thanked by:
mspaint does it no problem.
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by: Shade
I agree with Dazz. I always resize the sprites I use for comics in MSPaint. I know how to do it in Photoshop, but I find it faster in MSPaint.
Thanked by:
Doubling the size is all you have to do? I agree with the posters above me, MSPaint (Or my favorite alternative, Kolourpaint.) can do that just fine. Although if you want to resize a lot of them a little faster, and even rotate them more cleanly if need be, I'd check out RotSprite.
Thanked by:
It took me a while to figure out how to do this on GIMP, but as Maxim said, you just have to set the Interpolation to "None". Then you got some nice and pixelated sprites!
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
To do this in Photoshop, go to Edit > Preferences > General

Under Image Interpolation, selected Nearest Neighbor (preserve hard edges).

Then just resize your image as normal, simple as that.
[Image: spixl0.png]
Thanked by:
(02-21-2012, 10:46 AM)Maxim Wrote: I don't have Photoshop, but you can try Gimp (it's free). Click on "Image" in the menu bar and then "scale image". Enter '200' in the width and height fields and make sure to select 'percent' instead of 'px'. Finally, set 'interpolation' to 'none' and click on 'scale'.

http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tutorial-qu...scale.html

I would like to mention that this is not a factor of 200%, but rather 400%. As you are doubling the size both length and width-wise, you're essentially doubling it twice, so that each pixel becomes four pixels in size.
[Image: TopPlateB2.png]
[Image: InfoTop.png]
[Image: 15403_s.png]
Thanked by:
Yes, but it's 200% in both dimensions. Which is 2x the size of the original pixel... It's a grid, so it's 2x2 grids for each pixel - instead of 1x1. You're just doubling dimensions, not the number of pixels in the sprite.
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by: Garamonde, HandToeKnee