Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
PSVita games = no manuals... or, Dick Moves By Game Companies and why they're wrong

Among other things wrong, such as on-disc and day 1 dlc. More and more is the gaming industry becoming one huge scam.
Thanked by:
That could be a problem, but, there was not much information giving. Are there in-game tutorials that make up for that? Did it come with a link to the manual online?

This no manual hating trend is really annoying, especially when games make up for that with in-game practice or links to online pdf manuals.
[Image: Rrr4r.jpg]
Thanked by:
That seems like a HUGE waste pf packaging.

I mean, I know they have to make the cases bigger than the game to help prevent stealing but having nothing but a tiny game card in that big of a box is just a waste.

Anyway from what I've heard, not all PSV games with be doing this, but I'm assuming that most will end up adapting to that anyway.

(02-15-2012, 12:58 PM)Viiper Wrote: That could be a problem, but, there was not much information giving. Are there in-game tutorials that make up for that? Did it come with a link to the manual online?

This no manual hating trend is really annoying, especially when games make up for that with in-game practice or links to online pdf manuals.

There's a digital manual on the game cart.

Edit- from what I've heard, PS3 games are going to start doing this as well.
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by: Viiper, Sol
That and it's saving paper, so I'm all for it.
[Image: b6Bqjzn.gif]
Thanked by: Garamonde
The problem isn't the lack of information, it's what the manual represents. Since Video Games were invented they came with manuals, some big some small, but when you paid money for a video game you were guaranteed a paper manual damnit.

While Nintendo does in-game manuals with their newer 3DS games, they DO supply a fold-out pamphlet(In color too), which is an acceptable replacement.

The problem isn't the fact that in-depth manuals are going digital, but that Sony isn't putting ANYTHING there. Like ViperShark pointed out, if it doesn't come with a manual, what's the point?

I heard digital versions of Vita games are 10% off. So it's almost like Sony is giving incentive to go for the digital copy. Problem with digital is that you will never truly own the game as it's just borrowing a license, so fuck. Whether you buy digital or physical you're getting fucked over one way or another.

@ViperShark: Do you know which PS3 games? Because the latest Sony release, Jak & Daxter Collection, does come with a normal manual(albeit in B&W).
Thanked by:
I'm fine with digital. I like the way things are heading now. Having games tied to an account rather than having to lug around physical things is fantastic.
[Image: Rrr4r.jpg]
Thanked by:
That reminds me I need to get the J&D collection when it's cheaper for my 360. But as long as I get a physical copy, manuals don't matter, I only read them if they were for an rpg as those were the only manuals that had details on the story. Most games that even have manuals these days are just the health warnings, so whatever.
I liked what Skyward sword did coming with the Orchestral cd of themes, maybe games could come with their soundtracks to compensate for no manuals? Just a thought.
Thanked by: Viiper, Lemonray
jak&daxter is exclusive to ps3.
Thanked by:
GameInformer lists it for both consoles, I'll have to double check.
EDIT: DAMN YOU GAME INFORMER, DAMN YOU.
EDIT2: Here's the page that lied to me if any of you care.
[Image: 10gbitd.jpg]
Thanked by: Viiper
They've actually been headed that way for quite a while. A lot of games I've bought recently ended up having no actual manual, just advertisements or downloadable content kind of flyers. Really manuals were cool back in the day when they were bright and colorful and were almost like miniature art books. Nowadays where actual concept art books for popular video games are more common I don't think they're as effective in that regard anymore (not that they've been achieving that feeling recently anyway).

Also lots of manuals for foreign games were riddled with terrible translations. I remember in the Megaman Zero instruction manual it had artwork of three of the bosses and it listed them as "Ciel's Companions", in other words ally characters. I don't think I've even read a manual since then, but lord knows I wish my used copy of Demon's Souls had one when I bought it. That crap got confusing.
Thanked by:
You are seriously overreacting over something as stupid as a manual.

Do you really think Sony needs the extra costs of printing manuals right now?
[Image: FmY9K.jpg]

Thanked by: Viiper
Taking the paper manual out of the equation isn't that big a deal to me, if anything it makes more sense to have it within the actual game. Saves paper, too. The only inconvenience I can think of is that you'd have to actually be playing the game to look at the manual. Honestly though, more developers should be making an effort to create intuitive gameplay mechanics. I tried playing the PSP port of Final Fantasy Tactics awhile back, and the tutorial section had probably 60 separate tutorials. 60?! Are you out of your fucking mind? I realize that might be an extreme example, (and a port of an old game) but really.

I can understand why you like getting something a little extra with your game, but a manual is just an instruction booklet. I do think that a lot of problems tend to pop up when companies handle digital distribution the wrong way, though, and that's prooobably where you should be focusing your attention. Many types of DRM, and all Day 1 DLC and exclusive preorder incentives are much more of a dick move than digital manuals.

Also I do agree that the cases don't need to be nearly that big for just a tiny cartridge, what a waste.
I agree that the manuals don't lend much to the game experience.
While I get annoyed if my current games don't have them (I try to get cases with manuals from gamestop, etc. This involves some creative case and insert switching sometimes eheheh) simply because of collector value, I never actually READ the manuals so I really couldn't care less if they weren't there.
I really dislike the game-and-otherwise-empty case though.
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by: Gwen, Kimahri-Ronso
(02-15-2012, 03:21 PM)Radular Bastard Wrote: GameInformer lists it for both consoles, I'll have to double check.
Good thing I switched from paper to digital for my GI sub. It's POSSIBLE they mixed it up with the DmC collection, which IS on 360+PS3 but doesn't come out til April.

Still, hard to believe they would make a huge mistake like that. Jak & Daxter is a sony IP, thus it cannot be on other consoles.

Anyways, changing this to "Dick Moves by Video Game Companies" topic, so we can also discuss the very wrong Day 1 DLC, on-disc DLC, etc
Thanked by:
(02-15-2012, 07:15 PM)Kimahri-Ronso Wrote:
(02-15-2012, 03:21 PM)Radular Bastard Wrote: GameInformer lists it for both consoles, I'll have to double check.
Good thing I switched from paper to digital for my GI sub.

Still, hard to believe they would make a huge mistake like that. Jak & Daxter is a sony IP, this cannot be on other consoles.

Anyways, changing this to "Dick Moves by Video Game Companies" topic, so we can also discuss the very wrong Day 1 DLC, on-disc DLC, etc

Well the Metalgear Solid collection was multiplatform and that was a ps2 series if I remember correctly.
Thanked by: