Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
Werewolf (and friends!)
Hey dudes, been a while since I visited these forums.

Anyways, working on something and figured I'd make a thread here to gather more criticism.

[Image: iaza19687486933000.png]

Thanks!
Heart
the gray bg makes it kinda hard to give C+C because it's similar to the wolf's gray, but that's no problem because I don't see anything C+C worthy at all

maybe make his head furrier; those smooth shades don't fit with the character type. Also make thin threads coming out from pants' rips for more detail.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: Delicious
The only thing that somewhat bothers me is the jaws. I feel that the top jaw should overlap the bottom, from what I see on my iPod. Also I think the mouth edges go back to far, he also looks like he is smiling, and I also feel the teeth are too blocky and not pointed enough IMO.
I believe in Jesus Christ, if you do also, post this as your sig.
Matthew 10: 32-33

"32 Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. 33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven."
Thanked by: Gors, Altrez, Garamonde, Delicious
god this is awesome

my only critique is that I think you should angle the head more forward, like have him face the camera a bit more. With how thick his shoulders are I think having the head as is makes him look a little heavy on his right side.
Have you heard of Bloody Roar, by any chance? You might get some inspiration from that! (It's a fighting game with a bunch of wereanimals) His teeth don't look very sharp at the moment, I expect him to have some terrifying teeth when you're done with it! >Big Grin
Thanked by: Jawnsunn, Altrez, Delicious
Heart Heart

i have to agree with mutantyoshi, the facial area looks kinda "derpy" with an underbite like that
also, I think the pecs are sitting a bit too low at the moment
Thank you all for the positive feedback! Means a lot.

(02-08-2012, 08:48 PM)Gors Wrote: the gray bg makes it kinda hard to give C+C because it's similar to the wolf's gray, but that's no problem because I don't see anything C+C worthy at all

maybe make his head furrier; those smooth shades don't fit with the character type. Also make thin threads coming out from pants' rips for more detail.
Thanks! Yes, the pants shall be far more detailed especially the rips once I get into the rending process. The grey background is temporary, I just put it there because it is meant for Pixeljoints default background which is also grey.

(02-08-2012, 09:21 PM)mutantyoshi Wrote: The only thing that somewhat bothers me is the jaws. I feel that the top jaw should overlap the bottom, from what I see on my iPod. Also I think the mouth edges go back to far, he also looks like he is smiling, and I also feel the teeth are too blocky and not pointed enough IMO.
Thanks good sir! This werewolf does have a bit of an underbite, and I wish to keep it like that, however is there a possible way to make it so that he doesn't look so "derpy"?

Tried fixing everything else, and even made the jaw a tad smaller hoping that'll fix and awkwardness.

(02-08-2012, 09:42 PM)x0_000 Wrote: Have you heard of Bloody Roar, by any chance? You might get some inspiration from that! (It's a fighting game with a bunch of wereanimals) His teeth don't look very sharp at the moment, I expect him to have some terrifying teeth when you're done with it! >Big Grin
Never heard of it, but I'll definitely check it out. Thanks! And yes, there shall be sharp teeth!

(02-08-2012, 09:41 PM)masquerain Wrote: god this is awesome

my only critique is that I think you should angle the head more forward, like have him face the camera a bit more. With how thick his shoulders are I think having the head as is makes him look a little heavy on his right side.
Most of the the tension in his leg is on his right side, I tried making it so he's a bit balanced. Not sure how I feel about moving his head slightly, but I can try it out. Thank you!

Also tried moving the pecs slightly. Thank you Vic!

[Image: iaza19687482220200.png]
Heart
He still looks like hes smiling. His teeth look better, but i can't see many loose, torn threads around the knees where you should expect them.
Thank you sir JoeButler!

Pants are indeed the biggest WIP on this piece. The tear and rips wont be very noticeable until I start rendering! Also, originally I intended him to be smiling showing satisfaction. >: )
Heart
Thanked by:
i dont really think thats how the muscles around the neck should work. it gives me the impresion his head actually spawns from hisright shoulder, rather than being tilted to the left.
Thanked by: Garamonde
Hey there Delicious. I wanted to give you a few pointers.
You're improving very slowly, and unfortunately it's only in rendering. You still have quite a few problems with drawing bodies, may it be in the neck, the chest, the legs... you'll only improve noticeably if you carefully observe and draw from life.
Recently, I've found your poses similar, I've found your textures similar (that texture on the werewolf's neck is a lot like the one on your swamp creature's head) and some shapes too (around/above the eyes). Granted, it's your style, but I find you are quite reliant on re-using these elements, which isn't inherently a bad thing but it will slow your progress down. And I'm also getting bored by your style's stability.
No matter how funny, appealing or engrossing a representation you do, if you don't have the basics, it's largely noticeable. Maybe you played along with the fact you still had a lot to catch up on technically and instead decided to let yourself go, the result being something rather goofy, with character.
Anyway, as usual, I'm going to suggest something a bit more down to earth:
[Image: XWCoR.png]
I used quite a few wolf/human references, I suggest you do likewise. My main issues are with the legs, the chest, the neck and the arm. The face isn't much like a wolf's, much as I know this depicts a hybrid; add to that the length of the skull. It seems rather big, no? Another thing you tend to do is give a large gap between the eyes, which may be the source of derp.
The neck starts from the collarbones, which are at the top of the shoulders. The superior half of the pectoral tucks in between the base of the shoulder and the biceps.
Now, why is the recurring texture an issue to me? Well, it doesn't necessarily convey fur as well as another texture you could come up with. You can also think of a way of making blood-caked fur and dry/clean fur.
Observe your references with great care. Keep pushing harder and get out of your comfort zone! Smile
[Image: x1aIZ2e.gif]
YOU HAVE TO FEEL WHAT YOU DRAW, FEEL
[Image: shrine.gif]

Hey Chris, thank you for that! I was considering just having another attack at this piece from a completely different point of view, and your comment really woke me up to do so. Next update should be a big one.
Heart
Thanked by: Altrez, Gwen
his mouth is not very much like a wolf, is like that of a crocodile.
And put a tail on it that looks better Tongue
Alright, found some time!

Here's what it is right now. It's just very blocked out, I only really focused on the shape and lighting, I'll work on making him a bit more realistic this time around. Also I know about the stray black pixels - I'm going to add another darker color to even out the contrast a tad bit, but I'm not sure at this stage if I want it to be pure black.
[Image: scaled.php?server=842&filename=werewolf4.png&res=medium]
Heart
That...is...awesome!
I believe in Jesus Christ, if you do also, post this as your sig.
Matthew 10: 32-33

"32 Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. 33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven."
Thanked by: Garamonde, Delicious