Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Are these submission-worthy?
Before I start trying to submit any of the FFVIII models, I wanted to post a small sample so I can know what I'm doing wrong, since I'm probably doing something wrong, as I usually am. (Er, that sounded weird.)

So, I have two character battle models, one monster, and one weird model that's apparently a place-holder or something. Just thought I'd include it 'cause it was so strange. On the character and monster models, I have three model files each, two .obj and one .smd. One of the .obj files I rotated in Blender so they're standing upright and facing the camera, and I tried to do that with the .smd as well, but for some reason it wouldn't re-export. (I'm even worse with Blender 2.6 than I am with 2.49, which doesn't help.) On the two character models, their weapons are in separate sub-folders. Well, actually it's only one weapon each; I didn't bother ripping all of Quistis's whips yet, just the first one.

Anyway, the .zip file with the models is at http://www.mediafire.com/?pcj2t451ofj27hd and I have here screen captures taken in Blender so you can see what the models look like. These were taken in Blender 2.49 with the .obj models. The .smd models loaded into Blender 2.6 without their textures, though I don't know the exact reason why. I got an error message about file name length, which I presume must mean it was trying to give the full path name for the texture, instead of just the name of the file, even though the textures were in the same directory, but that doesn't seem very logical...

Uh, anyway...I have Laguna as a private in the Galbadian army...
[Image: PvtLagunainBlender.png]

And here's Quistis....
[Image: QuistisinBlender.png]

And the T-Rexaur...
[Image: T-RexaurinBlender.png]

And the weird little dude who seems to have lost some of his hair in the ripping process...
[Image: weirdthing.jpg]

If there's a way to make Noesis rip them in a T-pose, I don't know what it is. (Though I'd love to find out!) I had meant to include some of the Dissidia models I've been ripping lately as well as the FFVIII ones, but...there's no shortage of Dissidia models anyway, so...no big deal, right?

Looking at the preview version of the post, I'm noticing problems with the picture files. It shows holes in Laguna that I'm certain aren't there, and some of the T-Rexaur's teeth show up as missing that most definitely aren't. So please don't judge the models based just on the screen shots--there's definitely something wrong with the print-screen function on this computer (witness the fact that the grey background in Blender screen captures to white, for example).

So, please let me know what else I'd have to do to the models before I could submit them, okay? Thanks!
Thanked by:
the weird dude is part of the game
he has a final fantasy wiki page, I saw it on the bottom tabs when I was looking for info on the T-Rexaur before I saw this post...the rexaur's page has been deleted.

it's either a monster, or possibly an effect spell like substitution.
Thanked by:
How did you ripped the models? A small tutorial would be welcome.
Thanked by:
(02-06-2012, 06:45 AM)valforwing Wrote: the weird dude is part of the game
he has a final fantasy wiki page, I saw it on the bottom tabs when I was looking for info on the T-Rexaur before I saw this post...the rexaur's page has been deleted.

it's either a monster, or possibly an effect spell like substitution.

Whoa...must be some kind of well-hidden effect...
If it wasn't hidden, surely I would have noticed it at some point...

(02-06-2012, 12:10 PM)Alverndbl Wrote: How did you ripped the models? A small tutorial would be welcome.

I just used Noesis. It's a ripping program that can handle a lot of different games, so long as you have the files for it to rip from. You can find it here: http://oasis.xentax.com/index.php?content=home

In looking at these models, I keep wondering why the monsters look so much better than the characters. You'd think they'd have wanted to put a little more effort into the characters, considering how long you spend looking at them. Weird.
Thanked by: Alverndbl
well there is a monster called a pupu that you have to find randomly.
you'll be walking around the map and go into a battle and a ufo passes though and the battle ends with question marks.
Thanked by:
(02-07-2012, 04:55 PM)valforwing Wrote: well there is a monster called a pupu that you have to find randomly.
you'll be walking around the map and go into a battle and a ufo passes though and the battle ends with question marks.

Yeah, (s)he's a cutie. (I have a little plushie of that alien, in fact.) In the files, there are models of both the alien and the UFO that can pass in the background with stuff floating underneath. World's smallest pyramid. Tongue

Did you mention that because you'd like to see Pupu and/or the flying saucer ripped?
Thanked by:
no i mean FFVIII is FULL of secret summons and monsters
like there are actually more GFs then you can have. it's impossible to obtain all the Gf's in the game without hacking it.
that and one of them has to be killed to gain another.
hrm.. there were these horse things with scythe horns i fought alot

found out the name of the strange monster, it's called Dummy and it's only faced in the Debug Room.

heres a list of cool looking monsters in FF8 though.
Anacondaur
Armadodo
Blood Soul (these monsters are in FF7 too)
Blue Dragon (i think it's from laguna's movie)
Cockatrice
Creeps
Death Claw
Fake president (Boss) should make a nice base for other models
Fastitocalon
Fastitocalon-F
Grendel
Iguion (Boss)
Mesmerize (the scytheicorn i mention earlier)
Ruby Dragon
Slapper (so funny)
Tiamat (Boss)
Torama
Thanked by:
(02-08-2012, 01:51 AM)valforwing Wrote: found out the name of the strange monster, it's called Dummy and it's only faced in the Debug Room.
Wow, I didn't even know it *had* a debug room. Can it be accessed without cheating?

(02-08-2012, 01:51 AM)valforwing Wrote: heres a list of cool looking monsters in FF8 though.
Anacondaur
Armadodo
That one was totally on my list of to-rip-first; it looks exactly like a vicious version of an armadillon from Suikoden II. (Which came out at the same time as FFVIII, interestingly enough...) That means when I make my custom Suikoden MMD models, I have big plans for the Armadodo... :>

(02-08-2012, 01:51 AM)valforwing Wrote: Blood Soul (these monsters are in FF7 too)
Blue Dragon (i think it's from laguna's movie)
No, he fought one of the ruby dragons in the movie. I think the blue ones are the ones that *should* live in the Trabia region, so the ruby dragons were an automatic sign that something was wrong, because they didn't live there. (Not that Laguna and co. seemed to notice that...)

(02-08-2012, 01:51 AM)valforwing Wrote: Cockatrice
Creeps
Death Claw
The death claw would be even better if I could rip Gilgamesh, too. 'Cause in FFV he turned into a death claw for one battle...

(02-08-2012, 01:51 AM)valforwing Wrote: Fake president (Boss) should make a nice base for other models
D'you mean the one actually called Fake President, or Gerogero, the half-disintegrating zombie-like thing he turns into? Ugh...Gerogero creeps me out...

(02-08-2012, 01:51 AM)valforwing Wrote: Fastitocalon
Fastitocalon-F
Yeah, I love those flying fish. They're cool. I think the -F version is the prettier one with the larger fins, right?

(02-08-2012, 01:51 AM)valforwing Wrote: Grendel
Iguion (Boss)
Mesmerize (the scytheicorn i mention earlier)
Strangely, one of the more iconic monsters in the game, and yet I don't think it's ever come back in later games. I can't recall it in any other games, anyway...

(02-08-2012, 01:51 AM)valforwing Wrote: Ruby Dragon
Slapper (so funny)
Hmm...the name's not calling up the image on this one. (It's been more than ten years since I played the whole game...) Is it the flat shadow monster in the Deling City sewers? I loved that one...

(02-08-2012, 01:51 AM)valforwing Wrote: Tiamat (Boss)
Oh yeah! There was no worry on that score: I've been on a real Tiamat kick lately, so I was absolutely gonna rip her. Smile

(02-08-2012, 01:51 AM)valforwing Wrote: Torama
Ah, I had forgotten that. I keep calling them coeurls, 'cause that's what they're called in most of the other game. Silly of me...

Anyway, I'll rip this selection of monsters first, if anyone ever lets me know if I need to do anything more to my rips before submitting them. (Or I guess if they don't, I can just post them to the submissions board and get chewed out for not fixing them up first. But avoiding getting chewed out was sort of the point of this thread....)

I still have the strategy guide for FFVIII (yes, I used strategy guides back then, and I feel no shame in admitting it (though in the case of FFVIII I got to Ultimecia's castle on my own, got my butt kicked, and decided to get the guide to find out what I'd been doing wrong (which turned out to be a lot))) so I'll be able to correctly name every monster when I rip it. Smile
Thanked by:
the creeper is the shadow monster
the slapper looks like a demonic hockey player.

Thanked by:
(02-08-2012, 10:44 PM)valforwing Wrote: the creeper is the shadow monster
the slapper looks like a demonic hockey player.

Ahhh! The hockey player from Galbadia Garden! Right! I forgot what he was called. Yeah, he was high on my rip list, 'cause I need to use his mask for one of my custom projects. Tongue
Thanked by:
he's called a slapper
YUP
oh are there any other dinosaur like monsters you've found in games lately?
Thanked by:
No, I can't think of any, though I have been trying to. At least, not any that I can think of that would be easily ripped. I did check to see if Noesis had the ability to rip from the Dino Crisis games--my brother has two of them, so I 'd be able to rip an ISO for them--but it didn't. Sad Other than that...I can't remember if there were any dinosaur-like monsters in the area of Chrono Cross where you find Leah, though it would make sense if there are...but Noesis doesn't have support for that, either. Wait, yes, there was at least a pterodactyl-type monster there. I'm pretty sure of that. But without being able to rip the game, that doesn't help much... (Pity about that. There are a lot of those models I'd love to have.)

If there were any in Crisis Core, they should be easily rippable by anyone with the ISO. (I don't want to have to mod my PSP, so I can't rip that game without someone providing me with the files...) I know there were some funky semi-cyborg dino-like monsters in FFVII, but since I can't rip those with color--and since they'd be waaaaay too primitive in conjunction with the other dinos--I don't think you'd want those. Noesis also supports all the other Sony-era FFs, if any of those have dinosaur-like monsters. I can't think of any off-hand, but...of course, I don't know how to crack the ISO on FFIX, either. (I thought I found a program for it, but it just gave me a useless collection of files with no extensions or anything, and Noesis won't read any of them. Sad ) I think I did find an link on the forums here that had programs for unpacking the ISOs of FFX and FFXII, but...I don't recall any dino-like monsters in either of them off-hand.

Hmm. That was lengthy and not helpful. Sorry about that. Sad
Thanked by:
O.o you can rip crisis Core???
Thanked by:
Noesis has built-in support for Crisis Core, so if I had the files, I could rip it. (Although I'm not sure what types of files it reads; I haven't paid too much attention, since I don't have the files. Definitely character files, but I dunno if it does things like areas or items and such.) But in order to get the files I'd have to have the ISO, and a program to break the ISO down. Unless someone somewhere has uploaded just the model files from within the ISO. (Someone did that for the first Dissidia (that's why I've been able to make all those statues for MMD) and someone did so with the files for most of the P3 outfits for Duodecim, and someone did the same for the Duodecim stages, too, which is why I've been posting those for MMD as well.)

Technically, if I modded my PSP (which I don't even have the faintest clue how to do) I could make a Crisis Core ISO myself, since I do own the game (though I'm not sure where it is right now) but I doubt the ISO's files would be accessible just using ISOBuster, the way FFVII"s were. (Or I could download an ISO, I don't doubt, but I'm generally uncomfortable with downloading games illegally like that, even in cases where I have already paid money for the game.)

There are certainly some models I wouldn't mind having--Rude and Tseng come to mind, for example--and I would love to get some of those areas into MMD as stages, but...it's low enough on my list that I've never bothered looking for the files or anything. If you want to provide me with them--or links to them--I can rip anything Noesis can read in them.
Thanked by:
hrm....it's possible to load PS1 games on PSP...so would'nt itbe possible to rip them from the PSP??
Thanked by: