Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
The Mario & Luigi (Sub)Series
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTiQO1XzqFQR2UIyYJ4hPM...1nI0giLAiS]
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUGjZ5rOJtMC40FS3WeHY...dG11rGSy84]
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpfaRjoTF_5wurqPp31mm...LrigoHdlXA]

Mario & Luigi: SuperStar Saga released in 2003. Being the first portable Mario RPG, it was notable for having a comedic script and addictive gameplay. Often compared to the Paper Mario sub-series, Mario & Luigi is actually more like Super Mario RPG. Much like any Mario RPG, pressing a button at the right time increases or reduces damage. Specific to Mario & Luigi is the ability to dodge with a correct button press, whereas Paper Mario & Super Mario RPG only allowed blocking. SSS also introduced Fawful, who would go on to be in every entry of the sub-series.

Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time was released in 2005. As the first Mario & Luigi game on the DS, it really didn't take advantage of the system much. It does utilize the two screens and four buttons, as in this entry Mario & Luigi are joined by their juvenile selves. Unlike SSS, enemies have much more durability due to a new system: Bro Items. Much like the Bro Attacks in SSS, Bro Items were more or less special attacks that could be performed by the foursome, that used items instead of SP or MP.

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story released recently, in 2009. Unlike Partners in Time, BiS takes advantage of the DS; touch screen, dual screens, and four buttons. Instead of the baby bros., players get to control Bowser, complete with his own subset battle system separate from the Mario Bros. Fawful returns as the big cheese villain, and in full force. The brilliant script really shines in this entry thanks to Fawful's dialogue. Bro Items were retired in favor of Bro Moves once more, and Bowser gets his own special moves as well that utlize the touch screen.

The series is also popular for its sprite style. Spriters everywhere adored the style of the original, though the style of PiT wasen't nearly as great, BiS rectified the issue with a superior PiT sprite style.
you forgot to mention how this became the basis of every sprite comic and flash movie based on mario since 2003.
I loved the first one (the only one I could play). The 'active' battles made the game much more enjoyable, just like any Mario RPG. Though the ROM crashed in that cloth-dye minigame. Oh well.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: Garamonde
Oh the memories! I remember when I first got Super Star Saga, I would often get caught playing it when I was supposed to be sleeping. And beating the final boss during lunch at my school, screaming in victory as I scared everyone around me. Oh yes, good days.
[Image: Rrr4r.jpg]
Thanked by: Azure-Tranquility
To think, next year will be SSS's 10 year anniversary.
Thanked by:
I didn't read all of that stuff in the OP, since I probably knew it all anyway.

I have to say the worst bit about these game are the minigames. Those in SSS were pretty fun (loved that arcade game), but ones like that spaceship one in PiT and the pollen one in BiS were just plain annoying.

Also, Fawful rocks. One of the most persistent villains I've ever come across in a game.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
It kept getting better with each game. SS was amazing, PiT was even better, and BiS was the best. I'd love to keep up with this thread but I haven't beaten BiS yet and I know eventually someone's gonna post a spoiler (unless they're polite enough to spoiler it c:). They're all brilliant.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
I can never beat the final bosses in this fucking games, especially Partners in Time. I'm hilariously bad at these games but man they are fun!
(02-04-2012, 01:06 PM)Keychain Wrote: I can never beat the final bosses in this fucking games, especially Partners in Time. I'm hilariously bad at these games but man they are fun!

They are some of the most nerve racking moments in video games. I have only been able to beat the final boss in Super Star Saga. I gave up on PIT and BIS final bosses.
[Image: Rrr4r.jpg]
Thanked by: Keychain
I never even got past the spaceship minigame with the mothership in PiT. I didn't get round to beating the boss in SS either. This time round I'll be sure to finish of Cackletta.

You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by: Viiper
The only final boss that gave me trouble was Cackletta's Spirit, because you're down to 1 HP at the start of the fight and immediately you have to dodge her moves or it's game over.

Bowletta was almost a joke though.
I beat the final bosses of PiT and BiS after a few tries (PiT took 7 hours straight).

SS on the other hand... I came back to that game... I think it was in 09 or 08 and I finally beat her. I think it was the arm spin attack, when she's low on health it goes faster than I could keep up with when I first played in 03.
(02-04-2012, 10:27 AM)Azure-Tranquility Wrote: To think, next year will be SSS's 10 year anniversary.

That's terrifying isn't it? Sigh, if a decade seems that short I'll be dead before you know it...

Oh yeah... M&L... Yes truly one of the greatest Mario spin-off series!
Thanked by: Kriven
Remember when TSR had its own custom MLSS sprites section?
[Image: 27348983yu7.png]
(02-06-2012, 12:27 AM)Chaoxys Wrote: I beat the final bosses of PiT and BiS after a few tries (PiT took 7 hours straight).

SS on the other hand... I came back to that game... I think it was in 09 or 08 and I finally beat her. I think it was the arm spin attack, when she's low on health it goes faster than I could keep up with when I first played in 03.
Well to be fair, the way the battle was handled, I don't think that was ever done in a rpg before, let alone a mario rpg. So it was kind of a curveball.
Thanked by: