Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Color continuity with sprite ripping
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but:

Alright, I've decided to go back to sprite ripping from Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (USA). I'm trying to rip the overworld sprites, with no$gba + zoomer , but there's a LOT of brightness continuity and discrepancies! It's like every time I rip a sprite, the emulator randomly gets either somewhat brighter or darker leading to a lot of stress and confusion! Then I get all anxious and start thinking about color rules and shades and MLBIS' sprite style and if everyone will notice the contradictions.

Is there anyone out there that experienced this or knows where I'm coming from? Anyone seen any sprite sheets that are like that in which several sprites have somewhat different brightnesses? Should I just give up and move on to something else? Or does it not really matter? The sprites' pixel shades are nonidentical, so I see the usefulness of these being drowned. I suppose I could somehow look into palette swaps but the brightnesses have changed so many times that I have no idea how many of each type there are, so I'd be doing that indefinitely.

On the subject of contradictions, I noticed while browsing through MFGG in comparing my sprite rips to someone else's, the brightnesses on theirs are slightly different than mine as well. If not, then I feel as if I'm just doing this whole thing wrong in an entirety. Sad

I did notice, though, when pausing the emulator and repausing it, it brightens it up again, so maybe I can just do that every time I want to rip a sprite, with the assumption that I remember to do that.

Oh, and here's an example of what I'm talking about:
[Image: deleteme.png]

As you might be able to tell, the top one is a tad bit brighter than the bottom. The top is a sprite of the pause menu where you can view Mario's stats. The bottom one I just got when Mario is walking in Toad Town outside Bowser's body.

So please, someone help, if possible. I really don't want to cancel this project, I got really far and want to continue.
Thanked by:
Maybe pausing the emulator causes it to darken the screen a slight bit (to indicate it is paused)? I know MAME does this to a larger extent.

--

DeSmuME has both a map (layers) and a tile (raw graphics) viewer in the "Tools" menu. Maybe that would work a bit better for you?
[Image: TMP000055.jpg]
Thanked by: Garamonde
Also make sure that your emulator settings are set to Poppy Bright. I've never heard of this before TBH.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
Pause-state screen dimming:

Paused, what you see:
[Image: T1.jpg]

What the screen actually looks like:
[Image: T2.png]
Thanked by: Garamonde
(01-29-2012, 05:16 PM)John2k4 Wrote: Maybe pausing the emulator causes it to darken the screen a slight bit (to indicate it is paused)? I know MAME does this to a larger extent.

--

DeSmuME has both a map (layers) and a tile (raw graphics) viewer in the "Tools" menu. Maybe that would work a bit better for you?
*picture*
Darn, I actually switched out of DESMUME because I couldn't deal with the very low framrates. Guess I'll have to deal with it anyway if I want to rip from this game. (This is the only game that I've witnessed to do that, btw)

(01-29-2012, 05:22 PM)Mighty Jetters Wrote: Also make sure that your emulator settings are set to Poppy Bright. I've never heard of this before TBH.
I actually had this on before, but changed to different brightness settings (besides the default setting that gives the colors an extremely pale look) to see if it would fix it, to no avail. :/

(01-29-2012, 05:26 PM)John2k4 Wrote: Pause-state screen dimming:

Paused, what you see:
[IMG]*picture*[/IMG]

What the screen actually looks like:
[IMG]*brighter picture*[/IMG]
Hmm? I don't see how I could be doing that since I'm on no$gba.

Thanked by:
You know, PiT lagged for me too, but I went into Emulation Settings and unchecked "Enable Advanced Bus-Level Timing" and it sped right up with no problems as far as I can tell! It'll probably be a bit faster than normal this way, but that isn't even an issue since you can go frame-by-frame. Smile
Thanked by:
(01-29-2012, 05:53 PM)Mighty Jetters Wrote: You know, PiT lagged for me too, but I went into Emulation Settings and unchecked "Enable Advanced Bus-Level Timing" and it sped right up with no problems as far as I can tell! It'll probably be a bit faster than normal this way, but that isn't even an issue since you can go frame-by-frame. Smile
This was actually concerning BIS, though. But still thank you for the advice! Smile
Thanked by:
Yeah but it might work for BiS too, you never know. Wink

And, scratch what I said up there, you actually have to go to Config > Frameskip > and uncheck "Limit framerate" when you want the game to go faster (though I just found that it's not so good for battling at such a fast speed, so you would have to disable it for each battle you get into Sad). Tongue
Thanked by: John2k4
(01-29-2012, 06:12 PM)Mighty Jetters Wrote: Yeah but it might work for BiS too, you never know. Wink

And, scratch what I said up there, you actually have to go to Config > Frameskip > and uncheck "Limit framerate" when you want the game to go faster (though I just found that it's not so good for battling at such a fast speed, so you would have to disable it for each battle you get into Sad). Tongue
Turns out both options were unchecked from the beginning. Darn Sad

Thanked by:
Actually I just recently discovered a new trick. You can increase or decrease the speed of the game by pushing + or - (I personally have them set to custom hotkeys in the Hotkey Config menu) and that way, if you want to slow it down you can hit "-" (or your custom hotkey) to slow it down (you can even slow it down more each time you push it) and when you want to speed it back up, use "+" (or again, custom hotkey) and keep pushing it until it gets back up to the speed you want. That works wonders for me. Big Grin
Thanked by:
Hmm, plus or minus doesn't seem to work even though it's in the control config... :/
Thanked by:
Well, that's why you can change it in the Hotkey Config under Config. Wink

But seriously, try changing them and they should work. Remember, each time you press the key makes the game go slower or faster by a certain amount (and it is noticeable once you press it a few times), it doesn't work like fast forwarding where you just hold the button. I'm not sure what else to say, it works for me (I have "Increase Speed" set to "R", and "Decrease Speed" set to "T"). Sad
Thanked by: