Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Kick a bike
Well, I'll not post everything I've ever made here, just some recent projects of mine, and maybe some things that I personally think it's worth posting here.

[Image: watp.png]

[Image: 1r5jdj.gif]

Here's something that I still like to this day, Megaman styled Sonic:

[Image: nes_sonic_mock_up_by_garoukobushi-d4lrwib.png]

[Image: nes_sonic_mock_up_by_garoukobushi-d4lrwoz.png]

I do have the sheets here.

[Image: sonic_in_mega_man__by_garoukobushi-d4lrun8.png]

[Image: ghz_badniks_in_mega_man__by_garoukobushi-d4lrvnp.png]

[Image: green_hill_zone_in_mega_man__by_garoukob...4lrvy3.png]

And here, is the latest project I've been working on.

[Image: 25f61s3.gif]

I'll post more progress on him when I get more animations done, and maybe I can also occasionally post other works I've done as well. I would really like to know what you guys think, and I also wecome any suggestions for new art and animations, it really helps me out a lot as I have the interest in practicing different things and styles.
[Image: Fl1ak4E.png]

Dante for Smash
those flowers are quite dull in their colors.

however, you've made quite an excellent job with the megaman-styled sonic sprites. i'd even say they are better than its neo geo pocket and master system counterparts.
I certainly like the Megaman styled Sonic mockups.
The other things look A-OK too.
Discord is Dioshiba#9513
Thanked by:
I would play as Amy in Sonic Chaos.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
There you go.

[Image: 3480xaw.png]

I also make an alternate palette based on how she looks in Sonic Drift.

Speaking of Sonic Pocket Adventure, I just remembered I had some sprites in that style. I did make all the animations she had in Sonic CD.

[Image: 2iiwm11.png] [Image: 2v7t08m.gif]

I also had a sprite sheet of Ray the Flying Squirrel with a few animations done too, but the running animation needs to be fixed. Well, in the sprite sheet part of his animations are based on the SegaSonic animations he has, here's a sample of what I have:

[Image: 2csgmr9.gif]

You guys think it's worth making the rest of the animations that Sonic has in SPA for Ray?

Also, have some more Bean:

[Image: 95u341.gif]

@M9999: The dull feeling is intentional as I do like pixel art with colors like that some times.
Thanked by: Garamonde, Yo-Yo Boy, Gwen, recme
I like what I see.

Now, here's some tips and coaching.

You're using anti-aliasing, one of the best techniques. You got to watch out though. You seem to add pixels 'just in most corners', could be wrong but still.
Try avoiding to place dark lines on the straight lines ; which are vertical and horizontal circle tangents. (you can look at most pixelarts)
[Image: constructcrit.png]

Why don't you put anti aliasing on straight lines? It will make the curves fatter and bolder, making them look like cut-out figures.
"Sub-pixeling" would be your solution if you really want to anti-alias, but that's rather difficult.

Next, your Bean animation. Boy is it super smooth Big Grin
However, you've got a small problem with it : "anticipation".
The throw looks rather slow-motion and needs some sudden action. If you throw something, your arms first goes slow, and then speeds up and accelerates in a very quick movement. in Animation you could call it "easing".

Everything else is cool :]
Oh, thanks for the heads up on the pixel art, I'll keep that in mind next time.

Well, as for Bean, I didn't want to make the animation too fast, otherwise it would be a bit hard to see the smoothness. But even though, I still think it's perhaps way too smooth for sprite style like that, I might as well cut off some frames from there, or just go and make it faster.

Well, just for actually posting work in here, here's a filler:

[Image: 2zocabt.png]

Yes, I made two versions of Mighty.

Would you people have me to continue one of these or work in something new? You can suggest something here, and if I like it, I might do it.
Honestly, if someone programmed and you continued with these, I'd play the shit out of whatever game you made.
[Image: b6Bqjzn.gif]
Thanked by:
wow nice sonic sprites in megaman 1 6 9 10 style
[Image: tumblr_nq85s2bmIY1rjxyrgo2_400_zpspvjrjo91.gif]

Spriting is my thing. Unimpressed And scratched is the best. Embarassed
Thanked by:
Sprite Silver in Mega Man style? Big Grin
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
(01-23-2012, 02:56 PM)Gensu Wrote: Well, as for Bean, I didn't want to make the animation too fast, otherwise it would be a bit hard to see the smoothness.

this is the problem w/ most spriters venturing to sprite anims.

a smooth animation doesn't mean it's good. Why? An animation must represent the characters' actions naturally. It also is a way of showing said characters' personality.

So, in that throwing animation, it looks like he grabbed a paper ball and threw it to a recycle bin, that's how strong it is.

if you want to make a stronger animation, you need to know some basics, as delaying charging frames and skipping launch frames (those have technical names but I'll call them this way for easier reference).

A charging frame would be the instant where you pull the limb/sword/etc to you, as you were charging power for a punch. You don't simply stick your arm forward to punch; you clench your hand and pulls it backward to send as much power as possible when throwing it. Those frames need to be slower and have little difference between them.

A launch frame would then be the instant where you swing your arm/limb forward. These frames need to have bigger differences between them, and play very fast. This shows the viewer that the punch was very fast, and will look much more convincing.

[Image: ok_then_by_spritershawn-d4jpgy7.gif]

check this for example, mainly the kick. Notice that just before kicking , his leg moves only a little (charging) and his leg protudes quite far immediately (launch). Use this as a reference, and look out for more.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
I've been thinking about doing that, but I forgot why I didn't do it. The animation is actually something I had for a long time uncolored, I think since 2010 or before (I do remember it was my first shot at making my own animation), and recently, what I did was put colors in it. As I was unaware of the ease of an animation back then, I was also unaware of fixing that recently. When I get back to making Bean sprites, I'll fix that detail. Thanks for the tips.

Well, I didn't really do anything that I would consider interesting enough to post, and I don't wanna keep posting fillers or old work forever. Well, I want my next work to be posted here to be animated, because I do miss making animations a bit, I can't remember the last time I actually made one. Well, if you guys have anything nice in mind, you can comment any animations suggestions with a character, the type of movement, or maybe even the sprite style, it really helps out.
Thanked by:
i'd like to see something that is not sonic related. for the sake of diversity of subject.
Thanked by: megaMasquerain, Gors, recme
Tip for animating : perform it irl (if you can) and analyse what happens. I'd recommend Richard William's short demo's from his animators survival kit.

Gors, lovely c+c, but feels a bit long you could break it down in several steps to make it short and sweet(woah, feedback on c+c, weird)
Thanked by: Cobalt Blue
^ metacriticism
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: Chris2Balls [:B], recme