Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Megaupload shuts down
http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/t...story.html

Wow
Thanked by:
Damn it! I used that site a lot, too Angry
[Image: QUmE6.gif]
Thanked by:
A shame. Especially since it won't make a difference in terms of piracy as there are so many others...

I just find it funny every time someone claims that piracy causes an estimated loss of whatever many millions in lost revenue. They can't really believe that everyone who pirates a game/movie/album would have bought it if they hadn't got it for free. I suppose most people would rather not get it at all instead.
"You want to protest us? We're taking your shit anyways." - MPAA
[Image: Dexter.png]  [Image: Bubbles.png]  [Image: SNWzHvA.png]   [Image: SamuraiJack2.png] [Image: kQzhJLF.png]  [Image: Pikachu.png] [Image: tSCZnqw.png]
This is a statement to the protesters for sure.
[Image: 687xo0.png] Sponge7325, Sponge 2, Previous, ~Drakocat~, Devicho, Guy 1, Guy 2[Image: wb3tig.png]

[Image: o.png][Image: o.png][Image: o.png][Image: o.png]
Thanked by:
(01-19-2012, 03:30 PM)Previous Wrote: A shame. Especially since it won't make a difference in terms of piracy as there are so many others...

I just find it funny every time someone claims that piracy causes an estimated loss of whatever many millions in lost revenue. They can't really believe that everyone who pirates a game/movie/album would have bought it if they hadn't got it for free. I suppose most people would rather not get it at all instead.

I've had this discussion on another forum, and the thread is long dead, but someone posted studies correlating that those who "tried before buying" tended to buy the product or later support the company/band/etc rather than just downloading.
[Image: b6Bqjzn.gif]
Thanked by: HandToeKnee
This is like getting your house bulldozed because someone snuck pirated DVDs in your mailbox.
If shit carries on like this, watching music videos on Youtube will result in prison time... and an arse rape or two!!!
[Image: QUmE6.gif]
Thanked by: A.J. Nitro, recme
honestly, this whole fucking deal with SOPA, PIPA and other bills that are similar has finally gotten out of hand.

Why, Why can't my retarded government bury this crap forever it's like they don't even know their own constitution anymore.
Discord is Dioshiba#9513
wait, how the hell are they allowed to do this if sopa hasn't been passed yet?
Thanked by:
(01-19-2012, 08:33 PM)AMAZON Wrote: wait, how the hell are they allowed to do this if sopa hasn't been passed yet?
Charging them with Piracy and Copyright Infringement, even though Megaupload is always fast about taking pirated material down.

[Image: b6Bqjzn.gif]
Thanked by:
(01-19-2012, 08:33 PM)AMAZON Wrote: wait, how the hell are they allowed to do this if sopa hasn't been passed yet?

"Megaupload is based in Hong Kong, but some of the alleged pirated content was hosted on leased servers in Ashburn, Va., which gave federal authorities jurisdiction, the indictment said."

"The five-count indictment, which alleges copyright infringement as well as conspiracy to commit money laundering and racketeering, described a site designed specifically to reward users who uploaded pirated content for sharing, and turned a blind eye to requests from copyright holders to remove copyright-protected files."
[Image: 687xo0.png] Sponge7325, Sponge 2, Previous, ~Drakocat~, Devicho, Guy 1, Guy 2[Image: wb3tig.png]

Thanked by:
Do keep in mind that 4 individuals who were in charge of Megaupload were residing in New Zealand during all of this, and US actually went into New Zealand to arrest them.

Yes, New Zealand lacks that much backbone.
Coincidence that New Zealand is one of the countries that has been in talks about ACTA since 2008?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Counte..._Agreement

Thanked by:
Could or could not be a coincidence. But it's still out of the question for a country to just take people from another country for something as stupid as this.
Thanked by: Altrez, Lemonray, Gwen, recme