Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Save the Internet: The SOPA/PIPA thread.
Burger 
So yeah, if you haven't heard, there's this bill that can potentially destroy the internet as we know it. Thankfully, it seems that the bill becomes more and more unlikely to get passed as the days progress.

In fact, several websites are doing a blackout today.
Thanked by:
wouldn't this thread fit more in General Discussion?

As in, it's a public concern that can be discussed freely? Moved.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by:
So yeah, majority of the web sites I'm finding are shut down and just show me a page saying HOLY SHIT STOP SOPA YOU ASSHOLE.

look up anything on google.
Discord is Dioshiba#9513
Thanked by: Vaati
I think it's a good idea. Too bad the NDAA didn't have the same awareness.
[Image: 687xo0.png] Sponge7325, Sponge 2, Previous, ~Drakocat~, Devicho, Guy 1, Guy 2[Image: wb3tig.png]

[Image: o.png][Image: o.png][Image: o.png][Image: o.png]
Thanked by: Proton
The clear advantage of the blackout is that it's bringing the issue to a wider audience. Up until now it's been a widely discussed topic amongst tech savvy communities, but this blackout is forcing it into the public arena. There's been plenty of people requesting more information on twitter, and a lot of my facebook friends have expressed the wish to learn more about the act. This is good. People need to know that this bill is terrible and what they can do to defeat it.

It's scary to imagine that tSR, under this bill, would be illegal. Although sprite websites are a legal grey area as it is; we've, by and large, been able to operate under fair use. If this passes and one publisher no longer wants us to have their images, rather than send a DMCA takedown notice they can simply nuke the whole site from orbit.

If you don't quite understand what kind of problems SOPA/PIPA will cause I urge you to spend five minutes and watch this video;

I've never been one for online petitions but it's worth a shot Sign the Petition.

Whack-dat-Yoshi: I hope you don't mind but I altered the thread title, I think the new one reflects how serious this discussion is.
Thanked by:
Anyone who uses Wikipedia regularly (i.e. 90% of internet users) already know this.

But yeah, a thread for this is good. I'm greatly against this, because even though it's (for now) only for the US, that's still a massive hit. I mean, almost every meaningful site is based there.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
(01-18-2012, 09:53 AM)puggsoy Wrote: Anyone who uses Wikipedia regularly (i.e. 90% of internet users) already know this.

But yeah, a thread for this is good. I'm greatly against this, because even though it's (for now) only for the US, that's still a massive hit. I mean, almost every meaningful site is based there.

They may know about the act but you'll be surprised about how many people don't actually understand what it means for them.

For example; it's a big hit, not because almost every meaningful site is hosted there, but because of how this law works. VeriSign control the .com and .org domain name registration system and they're based in the US, therefore under the jurisdiction of the United States laws. That means that any site, no matter where they're hosted in the world (for example tSR is hosted in France), can be seized for "infringement" which is a term that is far too loose in these pieces of legislation.

So yeah; people already know about the bills, but they may not be aware of the implications for them.
Thanked by:
I heard that the House was putting the bill for SOPA away as the President promised to Veto. I still like this black out idea as it shows what could of happened and inform more for maybe when and if it comes back.
[Image: b6Bqjzn.gif]
Thanked by:
(01-18-2012, 10:12 AM)Argyle Bastard Wrote: I heard that the House was putting the bill for SOPA away as the President promised to Veto. I still like this black out idea as it shows what could of happened and inform more for maybe when and if it comes back.

You're quite right, the President promised not to sign the bill in it's current iteration which is why in February congress are going to have another hearing in order to amend it enough to get passed. Article here.
Thanked by:
Bleh, well that was fast.
[Image: b6Bqjzn.gif]
Thanked by:
I thought they already dismissed this..Rolleyes
[Image: 582217063e.png][Image: RWDCRik.png]

Thanked by:
(01-18-2012, 10:38 AM)SHADEDBZ Wrote: I thought they already dismissed this..Rolleyes

(01-18-2012, 10:16 AM)Raz Wrote: You're quite right, the President promised not to sign the bill in it's current iteration which is why in February congress are going to have another hearing in order to amend it enough to get passed. Article here.
Thanked by: Shade, Gwen

important.
Discord is Dioshiba#9513
Thanked by:
http://twitter.com/#!/herpderpedia

Quote:what's Wikipedia and what's SOAP?

Quote:omg no wikipedia fuck you for shutting dwn!!!!!! why is it down??? some shitty reason omg who cars

OH. MY. GOD. These comments can't be serious, I hope.
[Image: dariC.png][Image: tumblr_mlf109xOe81rmu6i5o1_250.gif][Image: b0KxM.gif]
Thanked by: Altrez
...After reading that twitter...

I've lost hope for humanity.
[Image: 687xo0.png] Sponge7325, Sponge 2, Previous, ~Drakocat~, Devicho, Guy 1, Guy 2[Image: wb3tig.png]

[Image: o.png][Image: o.png][Image: o.png][Image: o.png]
Thanked by: Kriven