Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
tsrBound: How Sponge Saved Christmas [Idea][In Development][Fangame?]
tsrBound: How Sponge Saved Christmas

What is it?: A tongue-in-cheek "fangame" of sorts that started out as an idea for a Secret Santa gift for Sponge (that I wasn't able to finish) that would also serve as a massive spreading of forum Love. The game is being designed in Multimedia Fusion 2, the sprites consisting of a variety of edited Earthbound/Mother sprites.

Gameplay: The gameplay is being designed with an overworld resembling Earthbound, but the battle mechanics are action based (since I can't currently design RPG mechanics as well as action). There are still RPG elements involved such as equipment and gaining higher stats as you progress through battles successfully.

As of now, Sponge has five available, upgradable weapons (based on Minecraft):
1. Sword: Swinging fires a "sword beam" in a pattern determined by the sword's current upgrade.
2. Axe: Swings in a short, vertical distance for higher power.
3. Hoe: Swings in a wide, horizontal slash for lower power.
4. Pick: Swings around in a circle, hitting all angles around Sponge in a short range. Can reflect certain attacks.
5. Shovel: Digs up debris that bound upward in an arc.

In addition to standard HP and PP stats, there will be a third point called GP (Guts Points). Every physical attack Sponge performs drains GP, and having low or no GP greatly diminishes effects of physical attacks (Sword attacks losing their beams for example). Sponge can also dash in the battle screen at the cost of GP. GP gradually recovers while Sponge stands still.

Sponge will also have PK abilities available, though not many have been fully fleshed out. They will contain a variety of offensive and defensive techniques, some unique ones learned from certain bosses.

Other Characters?: At first the only playable character was going to be Sponge, but since this never got finished for Christmas I've been debating whether to include other characters to make a party for the Story Mode of the game. I have a few ideas that might work, but I'd also love any feedback.

For now the project is going to be moving RELATIVELY slowly (I work full time and this time of year is hectic at the job). However, I really enjoy making silly games like this, so when I do have opportunities to work on this I can get a decent amount done. These two spoiler tags contain most of the tangible work that's been done for the game (besides the actual engine, which I can't quite post yet).

I'm not looking for major help in the way of engine building, but I'm open for suggestions on design if anyone has any. Also if you don't like the way your reference (or in any effect YOU) are being represented in the game, I can make changes or remove a given character from the game if need be. This is just for fun, I don't want to bother anybody by including them when they don't want to be.

One thing I might want more suggestions on are creatures or characters that could serve as basic enemies in battles between boss fights. The only one I have so far is the Creeper from Minecraft.
How about Arthur? I'm sure a flying demon folder could work as a generic enemy. Maybe some poor and obvious splices between two unedited Earthbound characters labeled as "Awful Sprite Edit"

Also this may be a tad nitpicky, but the"r" in [robo9] isn't capitalized in any circumstance, even when general grammatical rules call for it. (Such as when it is the first word in a sentence)
[Image: 803ce84258.gif]
Thanked by: Garamonde
On the note of awful sprite edits, you could have a sonic fan character as an enemy.
[Image: BannerMain.gif][Image: A9p8V.png][Image: BannerMain.gif]
I really want to view your sprites but I haven't played EB so it would be spoilers. >_>

As a side note, I love how I'm presented so you don't have to change much about me. Big Grin
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
You could add spambots and request spammers as basic enemies too.
[Image: 687xo0.png] Sponge7325, Sponge 2, Previous, ~Drakocat~, Devicho, Guy 1, Guy 2[Image: wb3tig.png]

[Image: o.png][Image: o.png][Image: o.png][Image: o.png]
Thanked by: Garamonde, Perseus
You could have mini-versions of the bosses, also maybe non-user TSR characters, just characters that other users made up.
[Image: Little_lamp_in_dark_room.jpg]

Thanked by: Garamonde
spider tachikoma is god tier btw
Thanked by: Garamonde, Kitsu
This is a fantastic idea and you should be proud of yourself.

I see my name~
Thanked by: Altrez
Just-ice grooms self thoroughly
defense plus 200

Music: battle against an unsettling opponent
Thanked by: Crappy Blue Luigi
if my comp wasn't busted I could compose some tracks for this :C
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Added a few new enemies (and caught an embarrassing mistake in my notes that I'll fix later).

That is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.
A game a out me, its all I ever dreamed about.

Oh, and I do have 2 Suggestions for some Non-tSR enemys:

Endermen:
Intro: A wild Endermen attacked!
Endermen gave you an icy stare! - Causes Solidified
Endermen threw a Stone Block! - Causes a medium amount of damage
Endermen teleported! - Increases chances of missing. This can be bypassed by using a Fishing Rod.
Exit: Enderman went up in flames! - Sometimes burns the player.
Note: Endermen are vulnerable when hit with Water based attacks or when a Bucket of Water item is used on them.
Note 2: If you don't attack the Enderman on a turn, it will simply not notice you, therefore not making it attack.

Huge Slime:
Intro: A huge Slime blocked your way!
Huge Slime threw a Slimeball at you! - Causes Disrupted Concentration
Huge Slime jumped on you! - Causes a medium amount of damage most of the time.
Huge Slime solidified! - Causes the Huge Slimes Defence to raise.
Exit: Huge Slime stopped moving!

I diddent have many ideas for attacks, so you can add more ideas for attacks if you wish.

EDIT: More ideas!

Skeleton:
Intro: A wild Skeleton attacked!
Skeleton shot a barrage of arrows! - Each arrow does a little less than medium damage.
Skeleton shot a flaming arrow! - Inflicts medium damage and causes the Burnt effect.
Skeleton started hopping around! - Increases chances of missing
Exit: Skeleton stopped moving!

Enderdragon:
Intro: The Enderdragon attacked!
The Enderdragon shot some fireballs! - Each fireball does a little less than high damage and causes Burn.
The Enderdragon called in some Endermen! - Makes 2 Endermen appear in battle to protect the Enderdragon.
The Enderdragon flew into a rage! - Increases the Enderdragons attack by 3.
The Enderdragon charged! - If the Enderdragon hits the player, it causes high damage.
The Enderdragon teleported! - Increases chances of missing. This can be bypassed by using a Fishing Rod.
Exit: The Enderdragon was deleted from the code!
Note: Snowballs can momentarily stun the Enderdragon.

Music:

Enderman: Battle Against a Mobile Opponent
Skeleton - Battle Against a Weird Opponent
Enderdragon - Tragic Reconstruction
Thanked by: TomGuycott
Can I still use the tanks?
[Image: BannerMain.gif][Image: A9p8V.png][Image: BannerMain.gif]
Thanked by:
You're still in the tanks, you start out out of them in the first fight, and end up out of them in the second.

Attempted Enderman (with and without block), Enderman Deluxe, Enderdragon, Skeleton, and Slenderman (For no real reason other than to be creepy).