Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sprite Uses
What are some of the most common things people use all these sprite sheets for? I myself love making animated GIFs out of them every now and again, and obviously they would be extremely helpful for wikis, I use them myself for the Puggsy Wiki.

But I mean, what are some of the main functions? I'm sure that it's illegal to use them for commercial games, but can people use them in stuff like free Flash games? Do some use them as place holders during development?

Just curious, that's all. Personally, I just love the fact that people bother to rip them at all Tongue
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
I use sprites from here for all my avatars... Smile
Thanked by: Garamonde
I use them for rpg maker purposes (non-commercial) and rarely for avatars.
[Image: dariC.png][Image: tumblr_mlf109xOe81rmu6i5o1_250.gif][Image: b0KxM.gif]
Thanked by:
People use them for fangames, for example DJ Coco's Sonic Z, which uses sonic advance sprites.
[Image: BannerMain.gif][Image: A9p8V.png][Image: BannerMain.gif]
Thanked by:
They are commonly used in comics too.

Personally I just horde them. I don't really use anything I rip, I just like ripping.
I use them as references for making my own sprites and such.
God is good.  Big Grin

An old fart who sits on a chair, giving animation and pixeling advice,... and calls everyone son...
Thanked by: Altrez, X Gamer 66
My guess is a lot of people use them for games they make, especially flash games. Where do you think all these Mario flash games come from?
Thanked by:
The sprites in tSR can be used for anything mentioned above, but the main reason of having all those sprites is to have references. No one is going to use every single sprite from the site.

Think on tSR as a museum that showcases game art. People can visit it, see it, use it for fangames but mainly to see which techniques the artist used, so we can try and make it too, and improve as people. The other uses are the side-effects of having a huge sprite archive.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Interesting thoughts, everyone. As I said I'm just curious, really.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
I use the sprites to create your own non-commercial games. Sometimes use part of the preliminary small-scale alteration.
All-metal cat
Thanked by:
fangames, flash movies, and sprite comics

that's pretty much it
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by:
A fair number of companies use the sheets as references, too. For example, Monster Tale's art team used a few sheets as pose references for their bust-shots.
Phoenix Wright and Namco X Capcom, specifically - since they sent out their press kit to us for a review we did, we could see the hidden layers on the PSD files, and could see exactly how it's used Smile
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by: Garamonde
(01-15-2012, 08:26 AM)Dazz Wrote: A fair number of companies use the sheets as references, too. For example, Monster Tale's art team used a few sheets as pose references for their bust-shots.
Phoenix Wright and Namco X Capcom, specifically - since they sent out their press kit to us for a review we did, we could see the hidden layers on the PSD files, and could see exactly how it's used Smile

I think this is quite true. If professional companies don't then indie game makers at least do. I know I use them for references more than anything else when making graphics for games.
Thanked by:
I personnally just like to use them as reference and edit them.
Thanked by:
I don't care what people use them for. I just make the sheets. GIVE CREDIT.
~ Returned from the brink ~

My submissions - My other sheets
Thanked by: