Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
I have problems building Sprites...
Ok guys, I'm pretty new to all of this stuff... I've done some animations using pre-built sprites before, but this time is different... I want to make an animation using Persona 2 Sprite Sheets by Ultimecia, the problem is that the sprites are ripped appart like a puzzle, I understand why the Sprite is ripped that way, but it's troubling me...

I mean, I don't have tools other than Paint.net and Paint, using Pivot to animate, but the problem is the following: Everytime I select a Sprite piece (let's say... Kiyohime's right fin) it comes with a white square surrounding it, like, if I want to join the right fin to the torso, I can't because the white square gets on the way...

I have used Paint-net for it's Magic Wand tool, but it chops off every light-gray or cream colored pixel as if it was white... even tough I tought that maybe that was the only way to go trough the problem, but it turns out that even with a transparent background, the backgrpund STILL goes on top ot the piece I'm trying to connect.... I don't recall the older versions of paint being so annoying, but yeah... I'm using Windows 7 anyways, and no, I can't afford the full Photoshop version right now (I have tried it already, program freezes with Ultimecia's sprites on Photoshop for some weird reason <.<)

Anyways, any tips on sprite building? I need to build the positions before I move on to animating
Thanked by:
bad news: you'll have to manually erase every single white pixel. there is no way around it or any automated method.
Thanked by:
Other then the fact that he already knows a quick way to do this. Metaru, stop it.

Really MSPaint is what most of us here use so it really isn't a bad program. Also it helps using the pencil tool, and filling things in slowly, you tend to have more control over your work.
M A C H I N E G U N
         ⌒°。>◡<)⌒°
             /_▄︻し┻┳═一(いち)(いち)  ┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨
[Image: tumblr_mr2bjoHi1v1qh8espo1_400.gif][Image: NfIxSTK.gif]
Thanked by:
I actually have a similar problem in Paint7.

Which is why I switched to Paint.net. It sounds like your first problem with the magic selection tool selecting additional colors (such as colors very close to white) has to do with the tool's tolerance.

[Image: f10b7ccccad759fbb8f3aa8e902dd455.png]

The closer that slider is to 100%, the more variations in colors it will select, while moving it closer to 0% reduces the number of shades to select. In this case, using a value under 10% will likely work well enough to ensure you select only the specifically white colors. From there, you can just delete the selected white pixels as usual.

After that, when you copy things in Paint.net with the rectangle selection tool, it will actually copy the actual transparent pixels as well, which is why it will similarly paste them over things just like with the rest of the selection. In order to avoid this, copy the object you need, create a new layer, then paste the object into the new layer. After you've positioned the object, you can then merge the layers back down again.

[Image: 7ee7e7f8645b4e25da981bcac326cd2e.png]

I hope this likely unnecessarily bloated text wall proves useful to you, and if you don't understand part of it, feel free to ask for clarification.
Thanked by:
(09-17-2011, 02:15 AM)Sploder Wrote: I actually have a similar problem in Paint7.

Which is why I switched to Paint.net. It sounds like your first problem with the magic selection tool selecting additional colors (such as colors very close to white) has to do with the tool's tolerance.

[Image: f10b7ccccad759fbb8f3aa8e902dd455.png]

The closer that slider is to 100%, the more variations in colors it will select, while moving it closer to 0% reduces the number of shades to select. In this case, using a value under 10% will likely work well enough to ensure you select only the specifically white colors. From there, you can just delete the selected white pixels as usual.

After that, when you copy things in Paint.net with the rectangle selection tool, it will actually copy the actual transparent pixels as well, which is why it will similarly paste them over things just like with the rest of the selection. In order to avoid this, copy the object you need, create a new layer, then paste the object into the new layer. After you've positioned the object, you can then merge the layers back down again.

[Image: 7ee7e7f8645b4e25da981bcac326cd2e.png]

I hope this likely unnecessarily bloated text wall proves useful to you, and if you don't understand part of it, feel free to ask for clarification.

Thanks man!!! It REALLY worked out!!! Now I only have to find out how to build this model... I've played Persona 2 before but it puzzles me how to make the Fan animation... the sash of Kiyohime seems to divide and turn into 2 scrolls and then a fan (or two)... gosh <_<
Thanked by: