Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
MM styled Mario and Luigi
I was bored when I did it.
[Image: megamario_and_megaluigi_by_marcos_zx-d480kcy.gif]

And can someone tell me how can I add spoilers here?
Wooper is cooler than all you,
[Image: wooper__deal_with_it_by_marcos_zx-d49gfls.png]

Add me on the social web clicking here!
Thanked by:
It's just a recolor. Try making Mario without using Megaman's body.

Thanked by:
(09-08-2011, 02:06 PM)Skink Wrote: It's just a recolor. Try making Mario without using Megaman's body.
It's only 30% recolor,
and thank you by the spoiler code.

Thanked by:
there is no such thing as 30% recolor, or it is or it isn't. And in this case it is a recolor teamed up with bad editings which lead to horrid sprites.

I thought that Megaman edits were dead long time ago but guess I was wrong.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by:
(09-08-2011, 02:43 PM)Gors Wrote: there is no such thing as 30% recolor, or it is or it isn't. And in this case it is a recolor teamed up with bad editings which lead to horrid sprites.

I thought that Megaman edits were dead long time ago but guess I was wrong.

They're not dead... Just most of the people making them are smart enough not to bring them here. I still see plenty of them elsewhere.

Now for advice to the OP.

First, Congrats. You've managed to stay with the color count limitations of a Megaman 8-bit style. You're about one color too many from the average so I'd definitly change that yellow to white. Yes technically there is precendent for a three layer 8-bit in megaman, but those are pretty few, and most are two layers. If you can switch out that brown for a another color already on it. That would be even BETTER. Anyways I can't bother checking right now, but I think only the brown may be a non-NES shade. I'm still pretty sure all of those colors have something close that the NES can handle if it can't as is. So let's worry about making the sprite better instead of worrying about exact color hues and stuff.

ANYWAYS. I think the biggest problem with these sprites left unaddressed by others is the overall readability. If these were a less iconic character the current readability would probably leave people guessing as to who these two exactly are.

For one the face, or rather the head in general is rather cluttered. The 'stache is far too high up and nearly obscures the eyes. Megaman 8-bit style usually has large expressive eyes, so they should be pretty clear. The hat is readable, but I think it could use a bit of redefining to make it a Mario bros. hat rather than a ball cap. On some of the poses, the shoes ride up too high. The Mario brothers have shoes so they should show more pant leg than megaman. Except on the standing frames where it would become unreadable.
It's okay to lose some accuracy if you need to make it more readable.

Its a shame that using megaman's poses loses a lot of the Mario brother's personality when jumping. I'd like to see that personality return. Ever notice how the mario brothers jump pretty much in an uppercut? Well thats not a style thing. Well its a style thing, but its a character style thing rather than a spriting style thing. Long story short, I think Mario and Luigi would still jump with one fist in the air, even in megaman 8-bit style.

Another thing to consider: Mario's heavier set than Megaman. There's room in 8-bit to show that, so you could make it even MORE like Mario if you made him gain a few pounds. Luigi's taller so he could use a minor growth spurt.

Now I'm not going to say 8-bit megaman is easy. But its a quick style so you really should attempt making it from scratch, as you can make TONS of fixes in a short amount of time, as you get advice to make things easier.
However if you simply MUST use a crutch base sprite, don't choose on based on how many frames it has, but how close it is to the correct body type of the subject. Bubble man, Bomb man and Dr. Light are all closer to Mario than Megaman is. Those three can also be used for references on how to make a heavier set character like Mario should you choose to scratch it

[edit] I miscounted the pallete and need to adjust advice accordingly.
Thanked by:
in the end, you're better trying to work on your own stuff rather than using a sprite as a base. as scary as that sounds, you will always get better that way. and even if your goal is not improvement, megaman edits (and the rest of the overused sprite edits we have seen over the years) are so fucking generic, lackluster and completely unnapealing that you're better quitting this shit now and rather focus on something else.

mean seriusly how many times has megaman been edited to death because people is so lazy to not even try.
Thanked by:
Ya gotta start somewhere.

To get better with the style, using mega man as a base is advised but shouldn't be followed to a T. Liken it to "tracing", where it's a decent skill that a beginner can use for a while, but don't depend on it.

Also, why does every human sprite in this style have to be a recolor/edit of Mega Man? neither Dr. Light or Roll look like Mega Man, so why should Mario, Simon Belmont, etc?

If you want to receive positive reception, then try to be more original with the style.
Thanked by:
(09-09-2011, 11:18 AM)Streeper Creeper Wrote: Ya gotta start somewhere.

To get better with the style, using mega man as a base is advised but shouldn't be followed to a T. Liken it to "tracing", where it's a decent skill that a beginner can use for a while, but don't depend on it.

Also, why does every human sprite in this style have to be a recolor/edit of Mega Man? neither Dr. Light or Roll look like Mega Man, so why should Mario, Simon Belmont, etc?

If you want to receive positive reception, then try to be more original with the style.

NO, NO NO NO NO NO- we just said dont do edits at all. EDITS ARE A BIG FUCKING NO.
Thanked by:
(09-09-2011, 06:23 PM)Heracross Wrote:

NO, NO NO NO NO NO- we just said dont do edits at all. EDITS ARE A BIG FUCKING NO.

don't make such a big fucking deal out of it. a lot of us started off with edits, myself included. there's nothing wrong with it when youre new to spriting.
Thanked by:
Yeah, edits can be useful for starting out. Just keep in mind, OP, that as you get the hang of editing you should really work toward doing at least simple customs. That way, you'll be able to develop your own style and way of doing things and be able to make more interesting sprites. (Just don't turn into an IT'S MY STYYYLE sort of person if you get confronted with criticism, though. That's not good for anyone.)
Thanked by:
(09-10-2011, 12:06 AM)Excalibro Wrote:

don't make such a big fucking deal out of it. a lot of us started off with edits, myself included. there's nothing wrong with it when youre new to spriting.
i have done edits in the past as well, but we should not encourage them under any circumstance. the whole point is to make it clear that only custom work would help you, and edits should be consider as something you'd do only when you're alone, pooping in the bathroom. they're nothing to be proud of.
Thanked by:
I am too happy that I recieved a lot of good critiques (yes i am talking ironically)
Well, I gonna scrath them as you told me, but how I told you I was bored when I did it and I wasn't worried about the quality.

Thanked by:
(09-10-2011, 10:25 AM)Heracross Wrote:
(09-10-2011, 12:06 AM)Excalibro Wrote:

i have done edits in the past as well, but we should not encourage them under any circumstance. the whole point is to make it clear that only custom work would help you, and edits should be consider as something you'd do only when you're alone, pooping in the bathroom. they're nothing to be proud of.
This type of critique shouldn't be encouraged at all either.

Seriously, people have different learning styles. There is no one right way to learn.
Edits may be a bloody crutch, but its an effective one.
YES they will learn slowly when compared to the trial by fire method of starting straight with scratching. But let's face it, if they have ANY drive to improve over time, they will eventually figure out that the bases are too limitating and eventually phase them out in favor of a blank page. By that time they will already have the skills to make a half decent scratch sprite. Since you know, (almost) every single skill you use on an edit can also be applied to scratchwork.

Those that DON'T have the drive to improve on the other hand...Such advice is wasted on them. For the obvious reasons.

[edit]Just thought of something else. There's a difference between helping people edit better and encouraging them to edit. I see alot of the former and practically none of the later.
Thanked by:
He's not saying you can't do edits, he's saying posting them here to ask for critique wouldn't really get you a lot of places in terms of learning - which is, y'know, really what this board is for. I mean, what is there to say here? All I can think of is 1) make his head (nose, mustache, hat) more like mario's and 2) make it not an edit

If it was a scratch he could be practicing body anatomy and his ability to make forms in general too, not just 2-second recoloring skills with very minor changes to something that's already set for him.
[Image: sxv5uJR.gif]
Thanked by:
thank you angie. thank you.
Thanked by: