Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Live-A-Live: Square's Lost Gem
Live-A-Live is a japanese only RPG that was translated into English by the Aeon Genesis team. The game is quite uniquely set up in that you can select the order you play it in, picking 1 of 7 different characters to play as going through a mini RPG quest that only takes a couple hours. The stories are oddly quite emotional ranging from Prehistoric to a Sci-fi world.

[Image: 16kdget.jpg]

Anyways, I've finally beat this wonderful game after 4 months of playing it on and off. I can honestly say that this is another game to chalk up on my top 10 of all time. This is coming from someone who doesn't like the majority of Squaresoft's games such as Final Fantasy.

Are there any other games like this, i.e. seeing multiple points of view of different characters and eventually having them all unite, much like Earthbound or Sonic Adventure. The only one I'm aware of like this is Saga Frontier, yet another game made by square with multiple characters/viewpoints. Of course I have yet to play it.
Thanked by:
i played Live A Live for a while, pretty cool game

i feel like the battle system was an interesting experiment that worked reasonably well, although it wasn't perfect; unfortunately I haven't seen any other games try anything like it. i think its a pretty cool idea that could be expanded on and made more involving, since Live A Live was forced to streamline many aspects due to the short-chapter-based approach

sometimes it was hard to figure out what to do or where to go next, too, if i remember correctly (mostly in the mecha chapter)

fun game though, this topic actually reminded me that i never finished it and i would definitely like to
Thanked by:
I decided to get this (I'd considered it in the past but I kept saying maybe some other time) and so far it's a lot of fun. I beat the "near future"/Akira chapter. Pretty interesting setup

A lot of stuff takes forever though so I'm glad I can just use the fast forward button. Washing your hands and getting to Toei's basement were unnecessarily long.
[Image: sxv5uJR.gif]
Thanked by:
Played it a couple years ago, it's one of my favourite RPGs of all time. Akira and Cube's chapters were my favourites.

Also, this:
Thanked by:
Quote:unfortunately I haven't seen any other games try anything like it.
Well, there's a clone of it:
http://vgboy.dabomstew.com/other/touhoualive.htm

Meiling's Scenario, first part:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG4hP30_XyQ

At first, I didn't even realize that it was an RPG Maker 2003 game.
[Image: dariC.png][Image: tumblr_mlf109xOe81rmu6i5o1_250.gif][Image: b0KxM.gif]
Thanked by:
(08-23-2011, 03:47 PM)Davy Jones Wrote:
Quote:unfortunately I haven't seen any other games try anything like it.
Well, there's a clone of it:
http://vgboy.dabomstew.com/other/touhoualive.htm

Meiling's Scenario, first part:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG4hP30_XyQ

At first, I didn't even realize that it was an RPG Maker 2003 game.

Forgot about this. My issue with it is that it seems more like a simple text/sprite swap of the actual game than a totally new LaL-inspired one. Of course this isn't a hack and I am impressed with the engine. If I knew how to program, I'd be making a LaL-style game right now to pay homage.

I've started playing Saga Frontier, the game has some features from LaL such as instant health restore at the end of battles, relatively easy difficulty, and quirky characters. The music is of similar quality. Overall, my experience is telling me this: I'd recommend it to a LaL fan. The battle system is completely different but the atmosphere is there.
Thanked by:
Somehow the prehistoric chapter amuses me.

Aside from that this game is almost an art of it's own right, This is probably one of the more better RPGs out there.
Discord is Dioshiba#9513
Thanked by:
if they did a port/remake of this for ds i would play the fuck out of it, but i dont really like playing rpgs on emulators, so i didn't get too far into it last time i tried playing. still, pretty interesting concept from what i played.
Thanked by: