Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
I need help trying to grab Spyro: Year of the Dragon textures.
I've been trying to extract the textures from Spyro: Year of the Dragon so I could try and replicate a map for the Source engine. I've been able to use 3D Ripper DX for other games such as LSVery Sad The Dream Emulator.

Though, through multiple attempts I couldn't get Spyro textures to come out properly. Psicture won't find anything on the ISO, and 3D Ripper DX could only manage to get some garbage that looks like this:

[Image: 261emqf.jpg][Image: 2iksb38.jpg][Image: 2dlpysj.jpg][Image: fnu53t.jpg][Image: 33ojqtg.jpg][Image: 15s3spc.jpg][Image: wugyuc.jpg][Image: wugyuc.jpg]

Please, if anyone has had success with this, let me in on some information about this. I am desperate for these textures.
Thanked by:
It's for PS1?
I recommend using the PSX-VRAM for the PSx stuff, it works wonders.
Get psx-vram here

You're going to need ePSXe for this
Run ePSXe and play the game until you get to the part you want to rip
Do a savestate. Then open Window Explorer and go to the epsxe folder and get to the "sstates" folder
You're going to see something like this:

SLPS_017.77.000 (yeah, the file extension is .000)
SLPS_017.77.000.pic (a .pic file)
(Of course the SLPS--something will change, but not the extensions)

Get some program like WinRar or 7-Zip and EXTRACT the .000 file, you're going to get something like this:

SLPS_017.77
(it's not usually ".77", it can be ".22" or any other thing)

Open PSX-VRAM
Drag and drop the new extracted file to the window
Now press "1" in your keyboard to toggle to the black&white view. If the files looks hazy, press "2"
Using the "A","S","W" and "D" keys move the red box to find the part you want to rip. If you press shift+keys the box is going to move only one pixel to that direction
Not the boring part. If you found the image with "1", press "9". If you found with "2", press "0"
With the arrow keys you're going to control a red cross. Use it to find the texture's correct palette. Shift to move only one pixel at time. And yeah, it's going to be a hell of a work, but that's how I ripped all those FF8 and FF9 textures you can see at the site
Once you find the correct palette, hit "print screen" on your keyboard. Open your favorite graphic program, past on a new image, clean up, save, profit. Some textures got multiple palettes for different parts, so you got to do the same process again

This concludes this quick and half-assed tutorial. Any questions?
Class dismissed! Don't forget to bring your homework!
[Image: Raine1.gif]
[Image: MegaEXESig.png]
Thanked by: Corey_Faure
Okay, I'm at the part with the crosshair used to find the color palette. Does a color palette have any distinguishing look to it or am I checking every single pixel on the right side of the screen?

Thanks for the tutorial by the way. It looks like a solid and promising way to get what I need.
Thanked by:
Usually they looks like something like this :

[Image: 687b6d.png]

Each line is one new palette and every time you move using the common left and right keys you're also going through different palettes.
And yeah, you got to try each individual one of them until you get the right one
Thanked by: Corey_Faure
Thanks for your tips, I finally got the hang of it and was able to get these:

[Image: 15otjpu.jpg]
Thanked by:
It's only time-consuming but it's easy, huh?
Have fun ;p
Thanked by:
(07-19-2011, 01:20 PM)Corey_Faure Wrote: ...through multiple attempts I couldn't get Spyro textures to come out properly. Psicture won't find anything on the ISO, and 3D Ripper DX could only manage to get some garbage that looks like this:

*RIPS*

Please, if anyone has had success with this, let me in on some information about this. I am desperate for these textures.
I can see textures in all those blocks, without double-checking anyhow. I probably got one of those green textures wrong:
[Image: 261emqfjpg.png] [Image: 2iksb38jpg.png] [Image: 2dlpysjjpg.png] [Image: fnu53tjpg.png]
[Image: 33ojqtgjpg.png] [Image: 15s3spcjpg.png] [Image: wugyucjpg.png] [Image: wugyucjpg.png]
It's unfortunate that you found that method hard to follow.
Thanked by:
(07-19-2011, 07:11 PM)Friedslick6 Wrote: It's unfortunate that you found that method hard to follow.

Uhh...What?

Anyway, it's one of those things if you don't ask around you won't learn how to use it. Simple as that
Thanked by:
Okay. It eventually started getting REALLY difficult, so I think I'll need to take breaks at some points.
Thanked by:
(07-19-2011, 07:29 PM)Ultimecia Wrote: Uhh...What?
Just to clarify, I meant the 3D Ripper DX method. There's no meaning behind what I said, I just think it's unfortunate that Corey_Faure couldn't rip their desired textures that way.
I probably should have posted faster XD .
Thanked by:
Actually, after looking through my previously ripped textures from 3d Ripper DX and then going to the VRAM viewer, I can safely say you're pretty much doing the same thing, looking at different sets of images, hunting around for tiles that look right.

I managed to get 32 images so far.
Thanked by:
I got all the textures I could out of that save state. Unfortunately, there is a pallette for EVERY tile. There's no way I'm going to rip all of the game's textures, but I think I managed Sunrise Springs. Here are the result I was able to get because of your help.

Original game:
[Image: 213kacj.jpg]

Rough draft replication that I'm trying in Hammer:
[Image: 2lxav4g.jpg]

If I can obtain a model via the modeling section of this site, I import it for better reference of the geometry instead of simply looking at the game and copying what I see.

Once again, thanks guys.
Thanked by:
Oh wow, that's so cool!
I posted information on ripping PSX models in the other topic of yours.

Does the PSP emulator JPCSP support emulation of POPstation-converted PSX games? Because if that were the case, you could use JPCSP's debugger tool to grab the textures from those PSX games...
Thanked by:
If you want to rip more textures from it or other PSX games, keep in mind that you can find your palettes with a specified grid:
- Vertically: Move one pixel (shift + arrow key)
- Horizontally: Move 16 pixels (without shift)

Haven't seen a game that works different, sometimes you can get many parts of the VRAM with only one palette (like in Star Ocean 2, all maps just require that you drag the quicksave into the VRAM and make a screenshot).

[Image: dariC.png][Image: tumblr_mlf109xOe81rmu6i5o1_250.gif][Image: b0KxM.gif]
Thanked by:
(07-21-2011, 05:30 AM)Davy Jones Wrote: If you want to rip more textures from it or other PSX games, keep in mind that you can find your palettes with a specified grid:
- Vertically: Move one pixel (shift + arrow key)
- Horizontally: Move 16 pixels (without shift)

Haven't seen a game that works different, sometimes you can get many parts of the VRAM with only one palette (like in Star Ocean 2, all maps just require that you drag the quicksave into the VRAM and make a screenshot).

I've noticed that. With LSVery Sad The Dream Emulator, I hover over the second palette and suddenly everything is the correct color. With Spyro, it's much more of a pain in the ass.
Thanked by: