Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Operation Rainfall
Operation Rainfall is a fan campaign meant to persuade Nintendo of America (NOA) to localize role-playing video games for the Wii and upcoming Wii U console, beginning with the following three: Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, and Pandora's Tower. It was launched on June 23, 2011 and is currently ongoing.

Concept

The campaign is subdivided into three distinct campaigns, one for each game, all with their own periods; only the Xenoblade Chronicles campaign has currently started. This part includes sending as many physical letters and e-mails as well as giving as many phone calls to Nintendo of America's headquarters as possible, in addition to posting messages on the branch's Facebook and Twitter accounts, requesting for a North American release of the game. It also involves pre-ordering the game on the retail website Amazon.com, which has a placeholder entry for the game under its development name Monado: Beginning of the World, in order to show Nintendo the commercial appeal of the game's release. On June 25, 2011, the game reached #1 in Amazon.com's Top 100 game sales, #1 in all Wii game sales and #1 in Wii action game sales.

Official Website

Nintendo's official response.

So yeah anyone else pissed/ wondering why these games are not getting an American release?

Thanked by:
Except y'know

This shit happens, unexplained all the goddamn time. I can't remember how many Atlus RPGs we don't get over here in the UK, and Japan gets all kind of shit that'll never see the light of day in UK or US. More specifically related to this situation, the Wii has gotten a handul of Wii games that don't see America. I don't know the reasoning, but it's ironic in a smug way.

I'm not saying that these guys shouldn't be trying to request international releases, but I dunno why people are so surprised it isn't happening. As far as I know; this has never worked for any other international release request - Nintendo or otherwise.
Specs 'n' Headphones has been revamped! Check it, yo.
[Image: 10y3mgj.png][Image: groove-1.gif]
Thanks to Pik and Solink; they are sexy people. Heart
Thanked by:
I'm kinda doubtful they'll bring over Earth Seeker too, that game looks great. Sad
Thanked by:
Worked for Tatsunoko vs Capcom.
[Image: Dexter.png]  [Image: Bubbles.png]  [Image: SNWzHvA.png]   [Image: SamuraiJack2.png] [Image: kQzhJLF.png]  [Image: Pikachu.png] [Image: tSCZnqw.png]
Thanked by:
(07-03-2011, 06:41 AM)Kriven Wrote: Worked for Tatsunoko vs Capcom.

Didn't for Mother 3 and that should have been a layup in all accords.

In fact Mother 3 NOT getting a official american release is kinda the last nail in the coffin. If you can't even sell a RPG that has ridiculous american appeal to westerners then you can't sell Xenoblade, you can sell Earth Seeker and Mistwalker BE DAMNED if you try to get The Last Story over here.

I am perpetually perplexed by this cause of events though, the system needed some games that can and would appeal to a niche market. Can't you just sit in an office and tell your people to only release a certain amount and then re-release the game if the game does exceedingly well? Worked for Demon Souls.
[Image: VeM0J5C.gif]
[Image: clVthBd.png]
You may also know me as Giraffe
Thanked by: Garamonde
The thing that makes it worse is that the Wii has a Regional-Lockout which was actually INVENTED by Nintendo themselves! Why would they do that?

Thanked by:
So that I could crack my system and undo it?
[Image: Dexter.png]  [Image: Bubbles.png]  [Image: SNWzHvA.png]   [Image: SamuraiJack2.png] [Image: kQzhJLF.png]  [Image: Pikachu.png] [Image: tSCZnqw.png]
Thanked by:
@Omega: Why couldn't they have done that for the Japan-only Bomberman Jetters games, I would've bought them. Rolleyes
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
Sad thing though is Nintendo promised to win back the hardcore with the Wii U and then NoA goes to refuse localize three new IPs which are hardcore titles for Wii. This makes me very weary to buy a Wii U during the opening launch window.
Ngamer01's Portal - Updates whenever.
Thanked by:
(07-03-2011, 04:09 PM)Omegajak Wrote:
(07-03-2011, 06:41 AM)Kriven Wrote: Worked for Tatsunoko vs Capcom.

Didn't for Mother 3 and that should have been a layup in all accords.

In fact Mother 3 NOT getting a official american release is kinda the last nail in the coffin. If you can't even sell a RPG that has ridiculous american appeal to westerners then you can't sell Xenoblade, you can sell Earth Seeker and Mistwalker BE DAMNED if you try to get The Last Story over here.

I am perpetually perplexed by this cause of events though, the system needed some games that can and would appeal to a niche market. Can't you just sit in an office and tell your people to only release a certain amount and then re-release the game if the game does exceedingly well? Worked for Demon Souls.

This shit really isn't unique to Nintendo; and in the case of 3rd party games like Last Story, potentially not even their call.

Maybe it's just because as a UK gamer there's heaps ands heaps of english-translated games we never get here; but the amount of sensationalisation here over 3 games that happen to not be released in the US rings a tad ridiculous.
Most of the time they are kinda lousy games right? European fans don't seem to even care. Or do they?

Thanked by:
Groove, I don't see why you're opposing people who are just trying to get a few games translated. They're not hurting anything, and unless you work for Nintendo, they aren't even wasting your time. You're really just telling everyone to take a really sad approach and lie down and accept things as they are, and don't even bother trying to accomplish something that will make you personally happy.
Thanked by: Garamonde
(07-03-2011, 04:34 PM)Kriven Wrote: So that I could crack my system and undo it?
Yes. Yes you should. Homebrew Channel giving purpose BACK to your Wii.
(07-03-2011, 04:35 PM)Mighty Jetters Wrote: @Omega: Why couldn't they have done that for the Japan-only Bomberman Jetters games, I would've bought them. Rolleyes
I don't know Mighty, Nintendo seems to be on this binge of getting old school gamers to dislike them more and more.
(07-03-2011, 05:20 PM)Ngamer01 Wrote: Sad thing though is Nintendo promised to win back the hardcore with the Wii U and then NoA goes to refuse localize three new IPs which are hardcore titles for Wii. This makes me very weary to buy a Wii U during the opening launch window.
I have every intention of getting a Wii U...once the Homebrew Channel becomes available on it.
[Image: VeM0J5C.gif]
[Image: clVthBd.png]
You may also know me as Giraffe
Thanked by:
Well, in all seriousness they should've brought Nintendo Puzzle Collection over, I know that would've been pretty popular.

Or... wait for it... the Puyo Pop games.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
(07-03-2011, 06:14 PM)Kriven Wrote: Groove, I don't see why you're opposing people who are just trying to get a few games translated. They're not hurting anything, and unless you work for Nintendo, they aren't even wasting your time. You're really just telling everyone to take a really sad approach and lie down and accept things as they are, and don't even bother trying to accomplish something that will make you personally happy.

Who's opposing? I'm just saying that I find it notable that although this kind of thing happens all the time and it doesn't make many waves; because it happens to be that the US isn't getting a few games, everyone suddenly shits themselves.

I'd like worldwide releases for all games too; but very very few publishers have a good track record for that kind of thing.
Thanked by: Proton