Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Bill S.978.
http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-s978/show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hytigOSjJ...re=feedbul

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-s978/show

This sucks.

Thanked by:
as someone who owns a hd pvr, i personally think this bill won't get passed. but that's wishful thinking.

if the price is outrageous, i'll simply move to the uk.. whenever possible.

http://act.demandprogress.org/letter/ten...6.5hVZPC&r
Thanked by:
Oh yes America, limit that freedom your country was built on. Especially the unnecessary things.

We are slowly turning into communists I swear.

Thanked by: Iceman404
Ahahahaha.

You do realise that LP's and similar are already technically illegal (in that they're unauthorised use of copyright; and the majority can't say they're under free use or parody); and this bill is pretty much re-inforcing what's already in place, and somewhat more specific? As far as I'm personally concerned this is by no means the end of gaming journalism; the important people who show games footage are paid for it; and are authorised to do so. :V
Specs 'n' Headphones has been revamped! Check it, yo.
[Image: 10y3mgj.png][Image: groove-1.gif]
Thanks to Pik and Solink; they are sexy people. Heart
Thanked by:
Except now they get to decide whether or not what you are doing is worth jail time, not the company of whom you are infringing. It is punishable iof up to 5 years, which is ridiculous. Big time gaming streams can be hurt by this since the government gets to have a say of whether or not what you are doing is illegal. This almost leaves it outside of the companies hands to shut streams/channels down. Sure they won't go after little Joe from the Virginia or something, but I don't want some of my favorite streams being shut down outside of the company's will simply because the asshats in the Government say so.

Thanked by:
Quote:Illegal streaming of copyrighted content is defined in the bill as an offense that "consists of 10 or more public performances by electronic means, during any 180-day period, of 1 or more copyrighted works" and has a total economic value, either to the copyright holder or the infringer, of at least $2,500.

Oh, how I love the loopholes in this statement~
HAVE I BEEN MISLEAD?? [Image: TeamStory.gif] THE DREAM ISN'T DEAD???

Thanked by: Phantom Killah
So I'm guessing, as long as the person streaming the video does this no profitly, they would be alright?
[Image: 803ce84258.gif]
Thanked by:
This doesn't really mean much to Team Spooky, I Play Winner, and the other streamers since after all most of them are sponsored now. Legally.
[Image: VeM0J5C.gif]
[Image: clVthBd.png]
You may also know me as Giraffe
Thanked by:
or if they do not get more than $2,500 or cost the company they're infringing from more than $2,500

You can still make money off of this, provided you stay within those guidelines.

Right?
HAVE I BEEN MISLEAD?? [Image: TeamStory.gif] THE DREAM ISN'T DEAD???

Thanked by:
If a DVD costs $10, and you upload a scene from that DVD that gets 250 views on YouTube, you have now cost the studio $2500 in damages.

Have fun in jail.

It doesn't matter if the uploader makes money. It matters if the studio loses the potential to make money.
[Image: Dexter.png]  [Image: Bubbles.png]  [Image: SNWzHvA.png]   [Image: SamuraiJack2.png] [Image: kQzhJLF.png]  [Image: Pikachu.png] [Image: tSCZnqw.png]
Thanked by:
jeeze I just recently started doing let's plays
that's depressing

actually I could probably finish at least one game before this bill passes
Thanked by: Kriven
(07-03-2011, 02:09 PM)Negative-Zer0 Wrote: Except now they get to decide whether or not what you are doing is worth jail time, not the company of whom you are infringing. It is punishable iof up to 5 years, which is ridiculous. Big time gaming streams can be hurt by this since the government gets to have a say of whether or not what you are doing is illegal. This almost leaves it outside of the companies hands to shut streams/channels down. Sure they won't go after little Joe from the Virginia or something, but I don't want some of my favorite streams being shut down outside of the company's will simply because the asshats in the Government say so.

Except what they were doing was already technically illegal; and the only reason they weren't reprimanded was because the games companies don't give a shit.

Even after the bill, the games companies might not give a shit; but have a formal course of action if they do.
Specs 'n' Headphones has been revamped! Check it, yo.
[Image: 10y3mgj.png][Image: groove-1.gif]
Thanks to Pik and Solink; they are sexy people. Heart
Thanked by:
They already have a formal course of action, seeing as the material is already illegal. However, the bill is stating that the federal court can arrest people without charges being pressed by the company. That's what the big deal is about. It's about the federal government arresting people for something the individual companies really don't give two shits about.
[Image: Dexter.png]  [Image: Bubbles.png]  [Image: SNWzHvA.png]   [Image: SamuraiJack2.png] [Image: kQzhJLF.png]  [Image: Pikachu.png] [Image: tSCZnqw.png]
Thanked by:
Guys, they're never going to pass it. If they do, I'm convincing my dad to have our family move to Canada. Blank
you might as well do us all a favor and move tomorrow. why wait for excuses?

if anything i'd see something like this being used to counter leaks from unrelaed content. or any of the movie streaming sites that populate the internet for free.

lets play videos and reviews? what company has ever given a fuck about those? if anything they're a MAJOR ad for they products.
Thanked by: