Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Should fighting games include a beat em up portion?
Someone mentioned (in another forum I go to) why the dramatic battle feature wasn't added anymore in SF4 which I'm guessing there wasn't enough fan demand. It just reminded how SF4 lacks features in the game. So far there are only 2 game titles that offer beat em ups which are Guilty Gear and Tekken.

Playing with SF4 and AH3 I wasn't that much satisfied unless I got friends I can compete with and most of those friends are too busy with life and jobs. And I don't consider myself a hardcore fighting gamer anymore like I used to.
Thanked by:
If the developers choose to attempt to implement it, but the genres are very different and desiging a balanced fighter is difficult enough as it is.
[Image: Dexter.png]  [Image: Bubbles.png]  [Image: SNWzHvA.png]   [Image: SamuraiJack2.png] [Image: kQzhJLF.png]  [Image: Pikachu.png] [Image: tSCZnqw.png]
Thanked by: Shadowth117
i always agree with itagaki on tekkens' weird beatemup minigames

if you want to make a beatemup, make a beatemup
[Image: cKfiI0F.png]
Thinking of you, 
wherever you are.
Thanked by: PrettyNier
(06-22-2011, 04:14 PM)MRSKELETON Wrote: i always agree with itagaki on tekkens' weird beatemup minigames

if you want to make a beatemup, make a beatemup

The DOA creator? I only heard how he hates Tekken.

http://www.1up.com/news/developer-interv...r.offset=2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomonobu_Itagaki

I'm kind of curious what that radio commercial was about.
Thanked by:
Would the adventure mode in Tobal No.1 or Ehrgeiz count as a beat-em-up? Or is there some criteria that they must have to count?
Doofenshmirtz: This is a little bit awkward but have you seen my escape jet keys? (Perry nods) What, you have? Well that's great! So where are they? (Perry looks away) You won't tell me? Is this because you don't speak or are you just being a jerk?
~Phineas and Ferb, "One Good Scare Ought to Do It!" (2008)
Thanked by: Omegajak
walk to the right, punch people, punch large dude at the end, move to the next level.

i doubt it gets any more complex than that.
Thanked by:
(06-22-2011, 09:47 PM)CO2 Wrote: walk to the right, punch people, punch large dude at the end, move to the next level.

Sure, I mean, if you don't want the game to be fun.

making an interesting single player game is a wholly different task from making an interesting competitive multiplayer game (especially if that competitive multiplayer game features asymmetrical options)
if you want to play a beat 'em up, play one, if you want to play a fighting game (extremely different), play one of those, they're too different to expect them to be reasonably packaged together
i also do not recommend trying to play a fighting game if you have absolutely no one to compete against!! that shouldn't be much of a problem because all the big new fighting games have online play built-in and most of the old ones are supported on kaillera, GGPO, or supercade anyway
Guilty Gear Isuka is a great example of why this is NOT a good idea. The beat-em-up game was clunky, and really the concept of having to press a button to switch which direction you were facing in a fighting game engine was really backwards to begin with. Tekken is another example of why this doesn't work out too well.
Thanked by:
I really liked the Tekken 6 adventure mode. I mean, it needed some polish, but it didn't suck.
[Image: Dexter.png]  [Image: Bubbles.png]  [Image: SNWzHvA.png]   [Image: SamuraiJack2.png] [Image: kQzhJLF.png]  [Image: Pikachu.png] [Image: tSCZnqw.png]
Thanked by:
(06-22-2011, 10:50 PM)Alpha Six Wrote:
(06-22-2011, 09:47 PM)CO2 Wrote: walk to the right, punch people, punch large dude at the end, move to the next level.

Sure, I mean, if you don't want the game to be fun.

dont get me wrong, i love beat em ups as much as i love shoot em ups. point is, they're simple enough to be done without problems, yet its been ages since a decent game of this genre has been develop. let alone one of the current "main" franchises have develop any real interest into them.

i'd say they have turned into what we know today as hack n slash games(to an extent) wich is not really a bad approach to the genre, but i'm pretty sure that that is not just what we most want.
Thanked by:
[Image: GodHandCoverArtAlternate.png]
[Image: cKfiI0F.png]
Thinking of you, 
wherever you are.
Thanked by: PrettyNier, DioShiba
that, and the bouncer as well.
Thanked by:
Probably not.

Most fighting game engines don't work that well with it from what ive seen.

Although I would prefer any kind of solid single player mode rather then common fighting game modes such as arcade and survival.

Mainly for those that don't have a stable connection or don't have any friends involved in fighting games.

Trust me playing against cpus in fighting games gets old pretty fast.
[Image: megartron.jpg]
Very unlikely Optimus, as I am infused with their very MIGHT!
Thanked by: Kitsu
(06-22-2011, 11:57 PM)TomGuycott Wrote: Guilty Gear Isuka is a great example of why this is NOT a good idea. The beat-em-up game was clunky, and really the concept of having to press a button to switch which direction you were facing in a fighting game engine was really backwards to begin with. Tekken is another example of why this doesn't work out too well.

I think GG Isuka would have worked if the game designers made it more similar to Yuyu Hakusho for the genesis or like Bleach for the DS. It does somewhat play like Monster Mauler once you get to fight Leopaldon

Bleach Dark Souls does have a beat em in some of the scenarios in story mode where your fighting against 2 or 3 hollows. Too bad it was only 1 player and they were few.
Thanked by: