Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
I came here to get crit
[Image: 25akwti.jpg]

For this sprite I will not/cannot use AA. Some crit as to how to improve it and make it more realistic would be nice, though.
Thanked by:
Why are you dithering and using so many colors? I think you have forgotten the purpose of dithering is to acquire midtones with using few colors. Anyway, you are too many straight lines in what appears to be the large worm.
Thanked by:
Dude, there's like, 7 colors. Strong shadow, weak shadow, base, weak highlight, strong highlight, shiny highlight, and dark outline. And dithering can be used for a textural effect as well. I agree on the straightlines but can't think of a way to fix it without changing the position. Suggestions?

I suppose I should've mentioned that this is somewhat based off the Mongolian Deathworm.

Hm, I feel like this response was rather snippy. To elaborate, colorcount doesn't matter too much and is currently low enough.
Thanked by:
But 7 colors for a single sprite with a single color scheme is a bit too much don't you think? A lot of your colors don't really have much contrast either. If you really want to have a great sprite, you should start with the lineart. Because there are a lot of jagged lines in your sprite right now.
Thanked by:
(04-15-2011, 10:33 PM)Cassowary Wrote: I suppose I should've mentioned that this is somewhat based off the Mongolian Deathworm.

really? It looks like an earthworm..

Earthworms are pretty smooth, so I don't understand the need for dithering to create texture.
pkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
Thanked by:
Perhaps; I have a horrid time with contrast/my monitor hates me so I'll try something, up the contrast and replace a few things. Don't want it to look too rough though. And I can't make the lines any less jagged since I am not using AA.

Based off of, but not entirely mirroring it. Hence some texture. I wanted an earthworm-like body shape but a somewhat drier and more textured exterior (slimy bodies wouldn't work in a desert).
Thanked by:
as far as basing this off a mongolian deathworm, I think it would be a wise idea to use a reference. I feel it should be brought up because of reasons already mentioned.

to be perfectly honest I would suggest restarting and using one, but I think it's far too early to do that.
Thanked by:
i think this piece could do with different shading: for the big worm, the highlight/mid tone/dark tone layout is boring and destroys any sense of volume. a stronger value for the highlight would already give a better idea of volume.

please continue!
[Image: x1aIZ2e.gif]
YOU HAVE TO FEEL WHAT YOU DRAW, FEEL
[Image: shrine.gif]

Thanked by:
[Image: 10p4zyd.jpg]

Any better? I couldn't find a satisfactory way to cut down on the colors without losing some of the effects I wanted. So sue me I'm not talented enough :B

Also... Very Sad The mongolian deathworm's a cryptid, there's no "reference" for it.
Thanked by:
(04-24-2011, 07:47 PM)Cassowary Wrote: Also... Very Sad The mongolian deathworm's a cryptid, there's no "reference" for it.

Doesn't meant you can't go by certain drawings about what it's assumed to look like. Hell you could probably use this for a decent reference.
Discord is Dioshiba#9513
Thanked by:
Hm... nevertheless it's my own creation and I'm fairly comfortable with the design currently. But thank you.
[Image: VzTY.png]
Thanked by:
This is just my opinion but I think it looks nicer without the dither. Look.

[Image: nodither.png]

Thanked by: Chris2Balls [:B]
It does, thank you :)
[Image: VzTY.png]
Thanked by: