Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Monster Tale
Man I hope I am posting this in the right place, it has been so long since I've done any ripping.

What this is: "Monster Tale" is a game that came out for the DS extremely recently. You probably haven't heard of it, and I wouldn't be surprised, it's kind of an obscure title made by a complete nobody third party developer. But it's a really good game and I recommend it to anyone who like side scrolling adventure games, especially Metroid/Castlevania style. (If you take my advice please purchase the game and don't download the rom you will make me sad!).

BUT ANYWAYS getting to the point, I decided to do the game some fan service by ripping some of the totally sweet sprites that this game has to offer. I plan for this to be a personal project but if anyone really WANTS to help out I won't say no.

Just be warned though; this game is kind of a major pain in the butt to rip. The data is saved in some funky way that makes the sprites unreadable by TileMolester, and you can't even use an emulator's sprite tiling feature to separate out the individual sprites because they end up looking scrambled. I can't even get No$GBA to play the game! So I'm stuck with the old fashioned process of ripping sprites via screencaptures. Thank God for AnimGet.

That's enough friggin' text. On to the sprites!

Blank = Not Started, Big Grin = In Progress, Cute = Complete!

Cute Ellie
Cute Ellie Alt Pallet
Big Grin Chomp Hatchling Forms
Blank Chomp Teenager Forms
Blank Chomp Adult Forms
Blank Enemies
Cute Dragon Miniboss
Cute Meade & Krubble
Cute Deanu & Aquid
Cute Zoe & Lobster
Cute Ethan & Nathan
Cute Priscilla & Snout
Big Grin Jinx
Cute Ellie & Chomp Faces
Cute Jinx Faces
Cute Meade Faces
Cute Deanu Faces
Cute Zoe Faces
Cute Ethan & Nathan Faces
Cute Priscilla Faces
Blank Toys/Items

[Image: icon-MT-ellieoriginal.png] [Image: icon-MT-elliesecret.png] [Image: icon-MT-introboss.png] [Image: icon-MT-meade.png] [Image: icon-MT-deanu.png] [Image: icon-MT-lobster.png] [Image: icon-MT-ethan.png] [Image: icon-MT-priscilla.png]
[Image: icon-MT-ellieface.png] [Image: icon-MT-meadeface.png] [Image: icon-MT-deanuface.png] [Image: icon-MT-zoeface.png] [Image: icon-MT-ethanface.png] [Image: icon-MT-priscillaface.png] [Image: icon-MT-tutorialface.png] [Image: icon-MT-bossdoors.png]
Thanked by:
Woo! I'm always happy to see what you've got going. Big Grin
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
Thanked by:
This game looks pretty gnarly. I think I'll keep my eye on this!
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by:
Ripping is going kind of slow because there aren't really any save states available for it out there yet so I have to replay through the entire game again.

Here's some updates though (in the first post).

[Image: Snout.gif]
Thanked by:
Great job! Priscilla looks like Princess Peach. Tongue
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
I know! I'm pretty sure it's not intentional, but every time I see her I can only think of her as an evil Peach.

[Image: Priscilla1.gif]
Thanked by: Garamonde
I supposed these were safe, since they aren't listed;

[Image: mtale_creditsimgs_icon.png] [Image: mtale_endingbgs_icon.png] [Image: mtale_titlescreenbg_icon.png] [Image: mtale_introart_icon.png]

[Image: mtale_ancientruinsmap_icon.png] <- 5704x2708, but still ~1MB

Thanked by:
Oh sweet! No, I didn't have any intentions of ripping any of the backgrounds, so you're cool. Well, aside from the backgrounds in the boss areas, as those will be added to their sheets, but aside from that backgrounds are free game. Also, even though I listed them, items and minor enemies are free game too if anyone wants to jump on them. The ones I really want to do are mostly the bosses and the protagonists.

Anyways, got an Ellie update tonight.

[Image: Ellie1.gif]
Thanked by: Barubary
I've started playing this game, and I must say it's pretty awesome. It evolves from a Castlevania game to a combination of Metroid and Megaman.
I bought it like you said, and yeah, I think it's great Big Grin
We could run away
When there's no Mondays

Thanked by:
[Image: mtale_meadelandmap_icon.png] <- 5596x2404, ~1.3MB
Thanked by:
Wow those blocks in Meadeland look EXACTLY like Mario blocks. :o
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
Contacted the publisher to ask for some assets for the review I just wrote;
http://vg-resource.com/

They also sent me some interesting items, like the PSD files of the artwork for mugshots, which happen to have 2 sprite rips on 2 seperate files as references. One being for Phoenix Wright, the other from I believe Namco X Capcom.
Interesting, right? Big Grin
We could run away
When there's no Mondays

Thanked by:
I'm glad to see someone wrote a review on it, I had tried a few times but I am a really poor wordsmith. Also failing in writing one for Okamiden too. I am interested in seeing those PSD files and such.

I find it amusing that in the preview video you used at the head of the review there shows Ellie in her "secret" pallet instead of her default one. Whoops!

(Side note, got a lot of sprites ripped recently but I haven't the time to upload them tonight, so hopefully tomorrow.)

@Barubary: Are you going to rip the animated background elements at all? you know, like the moving chains, torches, and mosh-pit monsters in Meadeland?
Thanked by:
(04-12-2011, 10:03 PM)Drshnaps Wrote: I find it amusing that in the preview video you used at the head of the review there shows Ellie in her "secret" pallet instead of her default one. Whoops!

I spotted that too. I was half wondering if I should put it up since it's actually an early preview video they did.

I'll send you the PSDs tonight when I get home Smile
We could run away
When there's no Mondays

Thanked by:
(04-12-2011, 10:03 PM)Drshnaps Wrote: @Barubary: Are you going to rip the animated background elements at all? you know, like the moving chains, torches, and mosh-pit monsters in Meadeland?
I intend to, but finding them all in the only-somewhat-organized list of animations takes a while. I also figured the map itself is big enough, let alone when adding the animated parts (and adding them everywhere in the blank spaces doesn't feel right).
Thanked by: