Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Fighting pose outline [WIP]
Trying to make a basic fighting style stance with Paint.Net. A regular stickman was the base, then I just edited things here and there. I want to see you(r?) guys' opinions as I know you're all very good with sprite creation and the like. So far it's a rough, WIP and far from finished. I just want to know what I gotta fix before using it to make an actual character. There are various things wrong with the legs that I'm trying to fix. And I think the...right arm(our left) looks retarded. The different colors are there so the pixels don't blend and f* it up.

EDIT; 2/8/12

[Image: figherguyzoomed.png]
Thanked by:
It's good that you're trying to have some sort of anatomical base, but it's not well-informed. Your proportions are off, the main offender probably being that the legs are too short. It's also not very dynamic. A curved spine would probably help, because right now it's looking stiff. The position of the arms aren't very convincing, so maybe you should try out some poses in a mirror or look some up or something. Try to make more defined joints, so they don't look noodly. The legs and feet aren't really making much sense either, and aren't showing a solid balance. I suggest trying to look at examples and experimenting for awhile.
[Image: sxv5uJR.gif]
Thanked by: Chris2Balls [:B]
I see...I'll just go back from the stickman and try it again. This is pretty difficult...any simple fighting games from the NES era or anything that are side scrolling that you'd recommend for a ref? I dunno if Street Fighter would be too complicated, but the sprites I'm thinking about are probably from the SNES era...

I'm just trying to make a template/outline for making JUS styled characters for my fangame, so I decided to give this a shot after sucking at a few customs. I dunno if that would help/hurt your advice, but I'd figured it'd help a little. Any real dif. from regular fighting games besides the anime look I should be concerned about with JUS? Besides the flashy attack, urgh.
Thanked by:
It is a good start....
Luck for you
xD
[mod note: just a verbal warning: we're not on youtube. make an effort and try to elaborate something with more content]
Thanked by:
One last try...I dunno it's still WIP as you see he has no head and his feet are too short.

Damn...just noticed how odd his pants look, how would I fix it? I want the 'right' leg to be facing the side and the left to be facing front...
Thanked by:
Use a reference, even if it's just another sprite with a similar stance. And definitely stick with a wireframe; your latest one is much better but it has some balance issues and the arms are oddly-positioned and poorly-outlined to boot.
Thanked by:
Alright, I'll give that a try...ugh...can't tonight, I hate you college summer course :madface.

Wait, you mean his 'left' arm as it does look kinda crooked. Yeah I can see it, if that's what you mean.
Thanked by:
What type of pose are you going for, exactly? Like, what kind of fighting and facing which way? That would help. As it stands, maybe try making his torso less... rectangular. Try making the torso shape itself bent, like a slouch or a hunched-over position.
Thanked by:
MMm...I guess something like a laid back pose, like just standing but on guard.

ie.
Thanked by:
Trying this again. If it's an illegal bump, do whatever you want to me. Didn't think there was a need for a new topic however.

Thanked by:
I... don't think you need that large of an image for a sprite that small. Also make the background something other than white, as it's nearly impossible to see your sprite.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by: Gwen, Kakashifan
Oops. Uploaded the sheet by mistake. Gonna try and sheet him later; I fixed it though.

Thanked by: Garamonde
I think I may got it this time.

Added some color, really dunno if it looks good though. I'm probably gonna vary it more, but I like the current look.( t-shirt and jeans, not the paleete though.)

I think I just f'd it up worse...and I'm not spriting in JUS style, just wanted this as a ref. Also not using all the colors on the palette; just testing out dif combos.

Bash it. Bash it hard...I feel colorblind right now lol,
Thanked by:
The lines are a little sketchy, and you've got a case of noodle arms. Also, try to take into account gravity when doing this. Try standing in that position. It's unnatural and it looks like he's about to fall over. Compare it to the Naruto sprite. Think of it like this: The further back you lean, the further apart your feet have to be in order to hold you up.

On another note, remember that your elbow is roughly 50% up your arm (at this scale about +- 1 pixel). You have one about 75% up the arm, and it looks really odd. The other arm is curved. Try to avoid that. Arms don't curve, they have a distinct joint, and the rest is approximately straight.
Thanked by: Garamonde, Kakashifan
the main problem here is that you're not understanding how does the human body works. particulary how do joints work, wich makes all your poses look as if they were random ragdolls thrown in the sky. Fortunately,there is quite a simple solution to this: you need to perform the same exact pose, either in front of a mirrow or record yourself(the second is even better) and take notes on how your body feels comfortable or not in certain positions. you'll realize that there are movements and poses that you can't simply keep up for a long time(unnatural) and others that are allow you to stay calm and relaxed.

remember that an idle stance is a neutral point wich works as the start of any other movement or action. for this reason, it needs to allow you to stay calm, relaxed and at the same time, flexible enough to change into any other movement.

also, do not use spoilers.
Thanked by: Garamonde, Kakashifan