Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
NEPETAQUEST2011
So, NepetaQuest2011 is going to be a game some time in 2011. Of course, there will be many sprites in this game, but I'm asking for you guys to focus on this:

[Image: ygDEX.png]

Original by Zizzo:
http://img852.imageshack.us/img852/8752/...sprite.png

But I wasn't the only one to edit the sprite. Basically, I am not a sprite thief. Please do not hang me. Thank you.
Thanked by: megaMasquerain
fuck yeah Nepetaquest

my main issue would be the large amount of black outline on the mouth compared to the nose. Also, there appears to be some banding on the jacket's collar.
Thanked by:
Darn you, Emma. Why are you never readily available on an instant messaging service?

What's banding?
Thanked by:
I'm on MSN and Skype right now :V

(who is this btw? don't recognize the username)

Handy explanation of banding here:

http://www.spriters-resource.com/communi...?tid=13868
Thanked by: Pidgeon
That's wonderful. Finally, a good way to distinguish that from pillow shading.

But is it symmetrical enough?
Thanked by:
For the little you changed, you could've just taken the original. i don't know how much you want to change it, but you've made little improvement on the original. why are you posting this sprite?
[Image: x1aIZ2e.gif]
YOU HAVE TO FEEL WHAT YOU DRAW, FEEL
[Image: shrine.gif]

Thanked by: Garamonde
(03-21-2011, 07:55 AM)Chris2Balls [:B] Wrote: For the little you changed, you could've just taken the original. i don't know how much you want to change it, but you've made little improvement on the original. why are you posting this sprite?

Obviously, it is because I am not very good at fixing things. Rolleyes

I didn't even make all of the edits, gosh darn it.

Angry

You're not giving me any advice and I am upset about that because I know you could be more helpful than that because you're a moderator on a spriting forum so you know quite a bit about both.

By the way, what do you mean by "taken the original"?
Thanked by: Rosencrantz
He's more or less asking you what you're trying to do or achieve here. Your OP has no context. It's two mugshots of Nepeta, one (I think) slighly edited by you; but there doesn't seem to be much noticable difference between the two.

So uh, what's the point?
Specs 'n' Headphones has been revamped! Check it, yo.
[Image: 10y3mgj.png][Image: groove-1.gif]
Thanks to Pik and Solink; they are sexy people. Heart
(03-20-2011, 11:09 PM)Pidgeon Wrote: But is it symmetrical enough?

Should I edit this in the first post? Let me elaborate.

I feel like quite a few edits need to be made (without changing the overall style itself, mind you) on the mugshot. The first one is the newest version for the game, the second one is the oldest just so that I don't get banned for sprite theft. I'm new to this forum and I don't want to be banned.

Her eyes seem to make a O_o shape to me, rather than a O_0 shape like I'm used to. (except in maple story but I'm not going for that) I don't know which one would be more "realistic." Collar and shoulders aren't symmetrical and I'm not sure which one I should change first to figure out the other. Oh no I just realized that her collar is supposed to be a completely different shape. The hat doesn't align with her face so I plan on shifting the hat to the left. I'll erase the bangs before doing this (for they need to align with the hat in a certain way), but her hair confuses me. Why is that green line there? What subtle effect is it supposed to achieve? Why does black leak through the hat's outline? Was that intended by the artist? I don't even know if her horns are matching and they should be matching and.

I'm wondering if I'm delusional and seeing errors that aren't there and neglecting the errors that are there. I already knew about the dark mouth outline but I wanted to figure that out later.

I plan to make at least one change today and that is to increase the contrast of the horn colors. The darkest orange is the worst offender.
Thanked by:
(03-21-2011, 12:23 PM)Pidgeon Wrote: Why does black leak through the hat's outline? Was that intended by the artist?

Actually I think that black outline that's "leaking through the hat" is actually supposed to be a mouth on the hat, because you can see that she has the same mouth and she looks to be a sort of strange cat girl.

And as for that collar going all the way down, I think it might be supposed to be like a jacket/coat. Also I don't see a green line anywhere on her hair... or anywhere.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
Oh, sorry.

[Image: Nepeta.png]

This is what she is supposed to look like. Except not shaped like an oval.

You're looking at the bottom one. You're supposed to talk about the one on the top. I'll make the bottom one a link so you won't have to get confused anymore.

[Image: 335cf2o.png]
This is the green line I was talking about. It is red for your convenience.
Thanked by:
(03-21-2011, 11:42 AM)Pidgeon Wrote:
(03-21-2011, 07:55 AM)Chris2Balls [:B] Wrote: For the little you changed, you could've just taken the original. i don't know how much you want to change it, but you've made little improvement on the original. why are you posting this sprite?

Obviously, it is because I am not very good at fixing things. Rolleyes

I didn't even make all of the edits, gosh darn it.

Angry

You're not giving me any advice and I am upset about that because I know you could be more helpful than that because you're a moderator on a spriting forum so you know quite a bit about both.

By the way, what do you mean by "taken the original"?
The original=by Zizzo
You mention the context in which this portrait is in. Good. But I don't have the foggiest of what you're trying to attain, as Grooveman reiterated.
Then you make several confusing posts.
You don't just dump things in the Sprite Discussion Board, we're neither scavengers nor a forensic team, so stop being lazy and be more clear on what you're doing, what you want and why you're here. Interpret what you see, we can't do that for you, boy.

btw, might as well start the mugshot over if you want it realistic.

Thanked by: Nindo, Garamonde
You have some weird white marks in the hair on the left, and I think the black should be made very slightly lighter so that it doesn't have any issues with black backdrops or something like that...
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by: Pidgeon
ChristMyNameBreaksBBCodeSoBadly Wrote:I compare threads like this to somebody taking a shit on my lawn. I threw the shit back at you.
AndToThinkThatIWasTryingNotToBeATrollAndPushButtonsForEmmasSakeNowIAmButthurt Wrote:btw, might as well start the mugshot over
If this were my sprite, I would bother finding reason in that statement. However, I don't think the rest of the team will be able to take that well. Do you not understand that some people are more fragile than others? I'm willing to take such harshness (and I wouldn't even need to take it at this level since I wouldn't be so conflicted in the first place), which is why I'm here. But I need to consider the feelings of others. FOR JUSTICE

I see what you did there. You edited your post. I didn't actually mean realistic; it is obviously a motherfucking cartoon. Just with better proportions. Gorsh.

(03-21-2011, 02:18 PM)Dazz Wrote: You have some weird white marks in the hair on the left, and I think the black should be made very slightly lighter so that it doesn't have any issues with black backdrops or something like that...
I guess you mean that the hair tuffs pop out of the hat in a funny way. Thanks. I don't think we'll have pure black backdrops, but thanks for the concern.
Thanked by:
express yourself more clearly then, pidgeon.
i don't understand why you think we'd accuse of sprite theft either.
another thing: i honestly don't care about your team, your project, their susceptibility or whatever else. i came onto this thread to understand what you had planned for your sprite.
i don't understand where the style for this mug is going... i mean, the current piece's likeness to the ref (if i understood correctly is this) requires far more work. it looks like a cosplay for now. there is a lot of softening (and redundant shades) you could clear out of the sprite to help you work. if you don't start it over again, i think a fair amount of butchering and drawing over will be required.

Thanked by: Pidgeon, Garamonde