Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
8-bit sonic sprites (Updated 3/17/11)
This is my second or so attempt at custom sprites. basically it's Sonic in Zelda-like 8-bit style. [Image: sonicoracle-2.png]
Thanked by:
Not a Sprite Project. Moved to Sprite Discussion.

Also, the sheet is really messy and unorganised; along with the style not being Zelda Oracle at all.
Specs 'n' Headphones has been revamped! Check it, yo.
[Image: 10y3mgj.png][Image: groove-1.gif]
Thanks to Pik and Solink; they are sexy people. Heart
Thanked by: Chris2Balls [:B]
(03-15-2011, 08:37 AM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: Not a Sprite Project. Moved to Sprite Discussion.

Also, the sheet is really messy and unorganised; along with the style not being Zelda Oracle at all.

Really? Then what style do you think it is?
Thanked by:
Well, I don't really see any style at all? At least none that I'm aware of.

First off, Oracle sprites are 8-bit. Though I am not an expert on the qualifications of 8-bit, I'm pretty sure these are not. Also, most of your spites are either hard to make out or are made poorly. Sonic is way too large as well. Sonic and Link are nearly the same size in this style. And finally, your sheet is constructed without much thought. There is waaaay to much white space.

P.S. Remember that when working with such a small bitmap you have to sacrifice some detail to illustrate properly.
Try this palette instead: [Image: ooaralph.png]
"Every artist was first an amateur." - Fortune Cookie.
Thanked by: Chutzpar, Gors
What do you mean they're hard to make out, there's only like five colors, how can that be hard to make out?
Thanked by:
It's a thing called readability. Look it up in the sprite dictionary thread. It's nothing to do with colours (although 5 is too many for Oracle-style sprites), but more to do with the structure of the sprite. You can't make a sprite this size and fit in every last detail. Instead, you want to get the general essence of the character and attempt to show what you do put in clearly.
Thanked by:
So i added too much detail?
Thanked by:
no, too many colours according to hardware restrictions of the original platform (Gameboy Colour, 8-bit).
i suggest you study the style by checking out the Oracle sprites on tsr.
[Image: x1aIZ2e.gif]
YOU HAVE TO FEEL WHAT YOU DRAW, FEEL
[Image: shrine.gif]

Thanked by:
organize your sheet properly, then we'll talk.
Thanked by:
[Image: sonicoracle-1.png] GBC palette.
Thanked by:
i'm giving you an hour to organize that sheet or i will permanently lock this thread. your choice.
Thanked by:
It's done, i made it smaller and more categorized.
Thanked by:
from now on, do it without having to be warned.
Thanked by:
So, how is it?
Thanked by:
The style still doesn't seem like Oracle.
First, he's WAY too big, his head is very chibi-esque. Some of the colours actually change between sprites.
Everything about it is too big. Besides the body, the feet are too big (not sure about this, since sonic has some weird feet..).
There's also absolutely no shading or AA, which the oracle sprites have on the inside.
Really, just look at the Link sprite as a base.
[Image: cIUPd.png]
Give me my own member group!
--
megazario Wrote:quite amazing good job make up more keep up the good work
plz dont give me a bad point plz for sounding a bit gay here
Thanked by: