Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
My First Tileset, Tell Me What You Think
[Image: citytilesetir6.png]
By lthavoc at 2008-08-03

Please tell me what you think, and be frank. Harsh criticism is welcome.
I didnt use any particular color scheme, and I'm not purposefully imitating any style. There's alot of empty space but i plan on adding alot more.
This is my grandson. You two have been rivals since you were babies. ...What's his name again?
Oh yeah, Gary. Sorry, my memory hasn't been the same since I got addicted to Crystal Meth.
Thanked by:
Wink 
They are nice, are you gonna use it in a game?
[Image: 14.gif]
Thanked by:
Very generic and boring, but very good for a first try.
Thanked by:
chdonga: yes, i plan on it
mozzy: i agree, and now that i have a nice base done i think i'll start being more creative
This is my grandson. You two have been rivals since you were babies. ...What's his name again?
Oh yeah, Gary. Sorry, my memory hasn't been the same since I got addicted to Crystal Meth.
Thanked by:
I think it should have a floor shadowed diagonally, so you can put it on the corners
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by:
yeah, i was thinking that, i think i'll do that now
Edit: i realized that if i were to do diagonals, it would take 52 tiles, and thats about 40 too many. maybe some other time
Double Edit:
[Image: citytilesetni1.png]
By lthavoc at 2008-08-04
Just a little update, i made full shading for the roof panels and added a few more panels for the buildings. I also tried to rearrange it into a simpler format, but it still needs work in that department
Thanked by:
All the tiling and placing is spot on, I like the shadowing you did, a nice detail. The best part is the grey brick road, mainly because of detail, which lots of other parts like the red bricks and the houses lack, maybe a crack or two, and making the front of the houses a little darker so the rooftops don't seem so plain.

Where the more technical crits come in is here: In the extras, the barrel isn't symmetric, in terms of the lines, the form is good, the lamppost is good but the trees, I'm sorry, are godawful. The colors are nasty(puke green) and the shape is pretty mushy, look for a reference of a real small tree/bush.

But the main criticism is....

Lines, the dark lines inside the shapes of each sprite don't look good, make the dark shade just for the OUTLINE of each shape, and make those same lines on the inside a lighter shade, to blend in, for the lampost, for the barrel, wherever else you can find it, otherwise it looks unfinished, like you made a line-art and just went crazy with the paint bucket fill tool.
Got one. Smile
***Read-Team Yoshi-***
Thanked by:
I think it lacks depth. If you're wanting a simplistic, yet attractive look; I suggest studying tiles from MLUnsureS and Mother 3.
Thanked by:
I can just see somebody trying to go down those stairs falling and flailing wildly as they take a header into polish-perfect sidewalk.

tl;dr - Stairs too steep.

Thanked by:
LilGrim1991- thank you, the grey road took forever. I think darkening the faces of the buildings would work, but i dont want it to be too dark. would lightening the rooftops work just as well?
And yes, the barrel isnt symmetrical. when working with 16x16 i usually hit that problem. I'll tweak it a bit, but symmetry isnt too important with the barrel for me. I'll fix the plants as much as i can, but I'm trying to stick to a more vague look with the small plants. plants have so many little leaves and twigs, i have trouble making them detailed. I'll change the colors and look at some examples from other games and life and see what i can't do.
And yeah, i can difintely fix that dark line thing, thank you for pointing that out

Badassbill- I admit, MLUnsureS backgrounds are gorgeous, but the style is something i'm afraid to get into. I'll take a look and make some changes, though.

Zee- In physical terms, most aspects of this tileset seem improbable. I do have a legitimate excuse for the stairs however: i want the game to be a grid-locked game, and the steepness makes that alot easier to execute.
Thanked by:
Actually the stairs won't work on a gridlocked map. Because they move diagonally upward a basic up-down-left-right movement system wouldn't be able to traverse it. That's why you only ever see stairs on those kinds of maps face up/down, instead of left/right.
Thanked by:
(08-04-2008, 07:57 PM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: Actually the stairs won't work on a gridlocked map. Because they move diagonally upward a basic up-down-left-right movement system wouldn't be able to traverse it. That's why you only ever see stairs on those kinds of maps face up/down, instead of left/right.
exactly, but side to side stairs look better, so i thought i'd do something like this:
each staircase will have an invisible object that makes the main character move diagonally until it is part of the grid again (the bottom of the staircse)
Thanked by:
Not bad for a first attempt. My main crits are the blandness in color and detail and the overall lack of depth (partly due to shading). Everything gets noticeably(sp?) repetitive after only a few tiles, and everything (aside from the barrels and the stairs) looks flat.

As for smaller details, the border of the stone road shouldn't close when approaching stairs (though this could be a personal preference of yours).

Though I mainly work with the RPG Maker series of programs, I'm fairly sure those scenery elements and stairs need to be a part of the rest of the grid.
Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle.
~Michelangelo

[Image: 3xzb5z]
Thanked by:
I admit, it does get repetitive after only a few tiles, however i am trying to keep it pretty basic so that I don th ave to use a humungous sheet for the city. that blandness is a mood choice: this is where you start, and its supposed to be rather boring. when the action starts, places become more vibrant.
i close it at the stairs because i'm ocd
believe me when i tell you, i can get the stairs to work. I've done it before. as for the "extras," those are separate objects that the character will be able to interact with. i included them sort of as sprites, just very uninteresting ones.

Edit:
[Image: citytilesettr0.th.png]
okay, made a few changes and added a few things
the water on the sample level is slightly transparent, just like how it would be on my game.
Thanked by:
I actually like those Smile
Thanked by: