Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Pokémon World
Hey everyone, to further practice spriting, I'm going to give another attempt at spriting all the generation I pokemon! Here we go!

Newest Version:
[Image: r1lqpe.png]

This project as of right now is to only sprite some a basic position of the original 151 pokemon, but then later on this might be developed into a game, we'll see. You all can help me by giving criticism on the sprites I post here, edit them, and even make your own! Though, if you make your own pokemon in this style, I would appreciate it if you were to dedicate that sprite to this project, as if a game were to ever be made I'd want completely custom sprites that aren't being used elsewhere.

I'll be updating this post more and more as the project develops, so keep in touch.
Thanked by:
First thing to stand out to me is that the portion of the body that is standing up appears to be a fair amount less than half of the body length. If it's supposed to be 5'11" long then the rest of the body should be shorter. Smile
[Image: ioncesawyouholleringint.jpg]
Thanked by:
I agree with Butch (as usual); I guess the length should be all right if you get rid of the last bending, having the tail point to the viewer.
Also, I think the snout should be bigger and the uppermost jag of that 'ear' thing should be longer than the others.
The eyes somehow give him a sad look.
Thanked by: Gold
If it's supposed to be 5'11", why is the majority of it's body on the floor, and the rest of it makes up to 3 feet?
Thanked by:
i would be wise to avoid snake-like pokemons since they are most likely to fuck up your perception of their heigh/width. stick to humanoid/standing pokemon like hitmonlee or mr mime to secure a more accurate scale first so you could secure a more easier scale to follow and you'll be fine.
Thanked by: Cshad
Quote:First thing to stand out to me is that the portion of the body that is standing up appears to be a fair amount less than half of the body length. If it's supposed to be 5'11" long then the rest of the body should be shorter.

Yeah, I think I'll go ahead and swing the tail the other way, like Previous suggested. Seeing the entire tail length should make it look shorter.

Quote:Also, I think the snout should be bigger and the uppermost jag of that 'ear' thing should be longer than the others.
The eyes somehow give him a sad look.

Fixing both of those, and I'll play around with the eyes as well. =]

Quote:If it's supposed to be 5'11", why is the majority of it's body on the floor, and the rest of it makes up to 3 feet?

Because the pokedex entry for snake-like pokemon (onix, ekans, etc) all have "height" that is really its length. So the height in this sprite should be equivalent to if it was completely stretched out and vertical.

Quote:i would be wise to avoid snake-like pokemons since they are most likely to fuck up your perception of their heigh/width. stick to humanoid/standing pokemon like hitmonlee or mr mime to secure a more accurate scale first so you could secure a more easier scale to follow and you'll be fine.

The scale I have going now is that one inch = one pixel (plus an extra pixel for every foot, so super small pokemon will be a little more visible) and I think that should be pretty okay. Though, I'll sprite hitmonlee after I finish up dratini and adjust the scale to what looks best, as you've suggested.

Thank you all for your comments, a new draft should be done soon today. =]

Edit: Here's the newest version of dratini:

[Image: 2ihle3b.png]

I can't seem to make eyes on dratini that don't look a little bit sad, but with the larger "ears" and snout, I think it's a little bit better. The length should be proportional, as well. Anything wrong with it?
Thanked by:
(02-06-2011, 04:51 PM)Oddish Wrote: Because the pokedex entry for snake-like pokemon (onix, ekans, etc) all have "height" that is really its length. So the height in this sprite should be equivalent to if it was completely stretched out and vertical.

Yes, I know. What I meant was that if you take the Dratini you drew in 2 parts, the part on the floor and the part standing up, the part standing up is 3 feet, and the part on the floor is longer than that. 3 + a number larger than 3 is far more than 5'11".

(02-06-2011, 04:51 PM)Oddish Wrote: I can't seem to make eyes on dratini that don't look a little bit sad, but with the larger "ears" and snout, I think it's a little bit better. The length should be proportional, as well. Anything wrong with it?

It's because they are angled oddly. I'd suggest redrawing the head, possibly with a different reference.
Thanked by:
Sorry for the misunderstanding, hoeloe.

[Image: 307vxhh.png]

Here's my result from trying to make the eyes less sad, I think it went over pretty well. I think it looks neutral now. As for the angle on the head, I think it's acceptable as it is; it matches its chest. Though, I'll go back and change it if completely necessary.
Thanked by:
The head is still at a weird angle. It looks squashed, bring the right side down a bit.
Thanked by:
Sorry for the delay, I've been busy with some schoolwork.

[Image: 2vd5v0z.png]

There's the new head and some minor changes to the shading, how does it look now?
Thanked by: Baegal
In my opinion, they have way too many pokemon now.
Thanked by:
(02-08-2011, 10:05 PM)Kagai Tenma Wrote: In my opinion, they have way too many pokemon now.

You can never have too many. (Well, until black and white is released in north america, then there will probably be too many)

Anyways, here's my very early progress on hitmonlee, as Fuchikoma suggested I do:

[Image: 28vbsxj.png]

No criticisms yet, unless there's a glaring problem with it. It'll probably be completely different by the end.
Thanked by:
It's always best to judge after it's finished.I used to know a lot of the first 150, but now my brain feels like it'll explode if I try to remember all the pokemon.
Thanked by:
(02-08-2011, 10:05 PM)Kagai Tenma Wrote: In my opinion, they have way too many pokemon now.

Yeah, you can really see how many of them are relevant here.

All 2 of them.

The closest thing to glaring is it looks a little long.
Could be squished down a few pixels.

(Quick measuring: the general lengths of each pokemon as shown by lines
[Image: sdfrn.png]
H is Hitmonlee and D is Dratini.

Hitmonlee is 4' 11"
Dratini is 5' 11"

Needs to shrink about a "foots" worth in your pixel sizing and what not.
[Image: FmY9K.jpg]

Thanked by:
(02-08-2011, 11:43 PM)Proton Wrote: (Quick measuring: the general lengths of each pokemon as shown by lines
[Image: sdfrn.png]
H is Hitmonlee and D is Dratini.

Hitmonlee is 4' 11"
Dratini is 5' 11"

Needs to shrink about a "foots" worth in your pixel sizing and what not.

According to my scale now, hitmonlee is actually a lot more accurate than dratini would be, so dratini would need to be about a 'foot' longer. But I think that would look bad, and I agree with you that hitmonlee looks a bit too long. Thiiiiis is probably why Fuchikoma suggested hitmonlee, so I'd come to this realization. XD

Anyways, I figure that dratini is about the right size that I'd like everything to be proportionate to, so I'll edit my scale and hitmonlee to reflect what you've said, proton, thank you.

Edit: Here's a little update on how hitmonlee is coming along:

[Image: v7fqdi.png]

I'm not really happy with the arms and hands as of now, but the body shape is pretty close to the final version. Fixes and legs should come tomorrow.
Thanked by: