Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Newbie Here
Hi Spriter's Resource, I'm going to try to learn to make good pixel art.
Starting off with trying to shade basic shapes and picking color palletes then moving forward.

[Image: 2hek87n.png]

Edit: Better? [Image: 22m9me.png]
Thanked by:
It would help the sphere if your lineart was actually circular. Before you start shading, you have to make sure your lineart is perfect, and not just a rough estimation.
Thanked by:
Your colours are kind of dull.

It's fine if that ball isn't a perfect sphere, but bear in mind that the shadows across it will follow the contours of the object. There's also the matter of the way the highlights and underlighting are represented so it actually feels like a material, rather than several flat blocks of colour on top of each other.

From the Spriting Dictionary thread:
[Image: material.gif]
See how the size and spacing of the shades changes depending on the material?
Specs 'n' Headphones has been revamped! Check it, yo.
[Image: 10y3mgj.png][Image: groove-1.gif]
Thanks to Pik and Solink; they are sexy people. Heart
Thanked by:
Okay, thanks for the help. I wasn't really going for a certain material at the beginning, but now I'm going for more of a glossy, plastic, kinda bubbly thing. Also, changed the shading pattern.
[Image: 10durlj.png]
Thanked by:
The sphere looks much better. The main highlight should look a lot rounder though, it has a flat edge that looks a little wierd.
Any noise annoys an oyster, but a noisy noise annoys an oyster more.
Thanked by:
The shading's much better (but the curves need to be a lot smoother; go to the Dictionary thread again and look at the 'jagged' entry); but those colours are kinda wank.

I guess I was being vague when I said the colours were dull - I meant 'uninteresting' Have you heard of hue-shifting? It's moving along the hue spectrum of colours as well as the brightness when making a palette of colours. I believe that's detailed in the Dictionary thread too.
Thanked by:
take grooveman's advice and take your time to read the "spriting dictionary" thread, perform some excercises based on concepts you want to learn/develop and we'll guide you along the road.
Thanked by:
I wish you luck.
Thanked by:
rather large bump there
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by:
A bumb with no useful content.

Something tells me this poster is spamming to get to 20 posts. In fact she's been warned 3 times for this, so I'm just gonna go ban you for a week; have fun.

Thread locked; I the OP wants to keep using this thread, PM me, and I'll clean up the spam and reopen this. =)
Thanked by: Iceman404, Gors, Vipershark