Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sonic 2 HD
So the alpha trailer got released.

http://www.s2hd.sonicretro.org/

hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngh

i still have the original tech demo on this computer
can't wait for an updated release

i have to admit though, that I still prefer HD sprites to the vectorized graphics.
Not to mention that Sonic's animations got changed and now look kind of Sonic 4-ish. :/

edit: is there any way to resize the video so you can actually see the detail in 1080p?
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
This looks gorgeous.

Not only that, but the trailer looks more professional than most of the ones SEGA makes.
[Image: Bear2.png]
[Image: tumblr_ljk17tWfME1qd7kbno1_250.gif]
Thanked by: Omegajak, Maxpphire, Gwen, Ton
Doesn't look much changed from the last that I've seen of it (which isn't bad at all! I love how this game is coming out!)

But I really dislike the background changes (not the foreground though - that is perfect!) The brighter sky and water, those nasty gradients on the mountains, the lack of the light sparkle animation on the water.. But that's just nitpicking, everything looks really fantastic, I really can't wait to see more c:

I think it's also great that Sonic fan-works are getting so high-tier that they can be able to compete (euphemism of course - i'd say they're miles better) with official SEGA Sonic games. Maybe that can put some pressure into them and make them raise the quality of their games a notch.

EDIT: I also love all the classic japanese Sonic artwork references the artworks and promotional stuff that this game has. "The most famous hedgehog in the world", the style of the artworks, the font and those zig-zag lines they used in the trailer, etc.
Thanked by: Maxpphire
tbh it looks like sonic 3 in sonic 2
at least from the trailer it does, the screens look like a flash game :\
Thanked by:
(01-17-2011, 12:23 AM)Keychain Wrote: tbh it looks like sonic 3 in sonic 2

which flash game has http://www.s2hd.sonicretro.org/images/screenshot1.png this quality of resolution and artwork?

And what about Sonic 3 in it? What sort of similarity or elements of Sonic 3 are in the trailer? Can't you explain further at all? It really bugs me that you just posted "its sonic 3 in sonic 2" without any explanation of what of Sonic 3 is there or anything.
all the gradients and shit in the vectors are pretty awful. still, it looks nice in motion.
Thanked by: Vipershark, Keychain
not impresed in the LEAST BIT BY SOME PEOPLE UPDATING AN OLD GAME's SCREEN RESOLUTION.

mean sure, all the props for the complete overhaul of the game's graphics but as for now, its just "another" HD port. however since its an alpha we can understand they will work their way into making it a more complete game and such, but as for now its just that, overhauled graphics. and probably it wont be anything else if it really wants to stick to the original s2.
Thanked by: Chutzpar
Actually, it'll have a lot more than just updated graphics (and music, if you didn't notice it on the trailer). Apparently there'll be online play and a way to play the scrapped Hidden Palace Zone, as far as I can remember. There were some other extras but I really can't remember them.
its sorta like the approach Megaman Powered up did then. the missing extra content not present in the original game(hidden place, that forest level genocyde city) plus HD graphics(and reworked/remastered/resampled music idk)

you know, somehow i just feel like this would be on the same level as the guy doing the Atari 2600 sonic. it i
Thanked by:
If I recall correctly, they're reworking the game engine as well.

I don't recall if they're going to replicate the original game's glitches or not, though. I think one of the original plans was to replicate Sonic 3's engine to use for this.

This is an obvious graphical and musical overhaul, and adds online and other stuff as Rokkan said.
It's not just an upscaled game.
(01-17-2011, 12:23 AM)Keychain Wrote: tbh it looks like sonic 3 in sonic 2

watch the video in its native size on youtube itself
tsr resizes the video window so you can't see much detail
Thanked by:
(01-17-2011, 12:11 AM)PortalGuru Wrote: The trailer looks more professional than most of the ones SEGA makes.

That in itself is a serious problem SEGA.

Hm, this was the first game that was ever truly MINE. I was 6 when I got the combo set for Christmas in 96 (Genesis WITH Sonic 2)

All in all I'm liking where this is going but I never hold faith to or in fan stuff.
[Image: VeM0J5C.gif]
[Image: clVthBd.png]
You may also know me as Giraffe
Thanked by:
(01-17-2011, 01:01 AM)Fuchikoma Wrote: not impresed in the LEAST BIT BY SOME PEOPLE UPDATING AN OLD GAME's SCREEN RESOLUTION.
and recreating the classic physics engine, which is work that SEGA themselves can't pull off anymore.

plus, this is free.

I see absolutely nothing to complain about.
Thanked by: Rökkan, Iceman404, McMaxxis
Yeah, Sonic Retro has done complete disassemblies of all the genesis sonics plus sonic cd in order to perfectly replicate their game engines.

A perfectly replicated game engine isn't really something that would be in just -any- fangame.
Thanked by: Rökkan, Iceman404
*Cough* Super Mario Bros X *Cough*
[Image: Bear2.png]
[Image: tumblr_ljk17tWfME1qd7kbno1_250.gif]
Thanked by: Iceman404
Mario's gameplay engine isn't as "deep" as Sonic's, thus, it's easier to recreate.
Thanked by: