Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Does doing this sound like a good idea?
Quote:It is possible to make sound work on Safe Mode.
Press Windows + R, type devmgmt.msc, press Enter and look for your sound device. (e.g. Reatlek High Definition Audio) Double-click it.
Go to the tab 'Details' and click the drop-down list. Select 'Driver key' and copy the text from 'Value'
Copy the text into a word processor (e.g. Notepad)
Replace all lower-case letters with capital letters and remove the \0000.
Open Registry Editor (Windows + R > regedit) and locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network.
Create a new key (Rightclick > New > Key)
Copy the text from your word processor and paste it into the key name.
Edit the '(Default)' key and type 'Sound, video and game controllers'.
Create a new key called 'AudioEndpointBuilder', 'MMCSS' and 'Audiosrv'
Edit all their '(Default)' keys and type 'Service'.
Restart your computer
Go to Services (Windows + R > services.msc) and start Multimedia Class Scheduler and Windows Audio Endpoint Builder.
Then start Windows Audio Service

Mainly I want sound to work in Safemode and well I'm wondering if this sounds safe
M A C H I N E G U N
         ⌒°。>◡<)⌒°
             /_▄︻し┻┳═一(いち)(いち)  ┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨
[Image: tumblr_mr2bjoHi1v1qh8espo1_400.gif][Image: NfIxSTK.gif]
Thanked by:
That depends, what are you trying to accomplish?
Thanked by:
Be able to have sound in Safemode if you read under the quote where it says what I am trying to do |D
M A C H I N E G U N
         ⌒°。>◡<)⌒°
Thanked by:
(01-08-2011, 10:46 PM)ddrmaxman Wrote: That depends, what are you trying to accomplish?
(01-08-2011, 10:32 PM)Kat Wrote: Mainly I want sound to work in Safemode and well I'm wondering if this sounds safe

Anyways, to me it looks pretty legit to be honest, but there's always a risk with these things. I'd look for a similar guide elsewhere and see if it says similar stuff first though. If you can find one on a totally different site with that says pretty much the same thing than it probably does exactly what it says it does.
Thanked by: Maxpphire
From what I could understand the instructions, yeah, sounds pretty legit.
The safe mode only loads what you absolutely need to get the computer working, and those looks like instructions to add sound on this list of the "bare needs to get your computer working on safe mode".
Create a restoration point, just in case
[Image: MegaEXESig.png]
Thanked by:
Oh sorry, I read "sound" and "if this sounds safe" which made my mind interpret the first "sound" wrong. lol

anyway, it seems like it's safe to do, but safe mode isn't really made for using media and stuff, it's intended to allow you to access your computer without programs and things loading if your computer keeps crashing because of them. That allows you to fix problems in your computer, and lets you copy files to a portable Hard drive so you can save stuff from a dieing computer.

if you want to listen to music, it's best to listen to that in regular mode.
Thanked by:
(01-09-2011, 03:41 AM)ddrmaxman Wrote: Oh sorry, I read "sound" and "if this sounds safe" which made my mind interpret the first "sound" wrong. lol

anyway, it seems like it's safe to do, but safe mode isn't really made for using media and stuff, it's intended to allow you to access your computer without programs and things loading if your computer keeps crashing because of them. That allows you to fix problems in your computer, and lets you copy files to a portable Hard drive so you can save stuff from a dieing computer.

if you want to listen to music, it's best to listen to that in regular mode.

You act as if I don't know what safemode is used for.

Hrmmmm, Well Gee... Why am I in safemode in the first place? Since you seem to be pretty damn new here I'll tell you.

Because my computer is a fucking peice of tempermental shit whos win32 files keep corrupting on me. This time it is the svchost.exe file that is corrupt, and no, it isn't the virus that I spelled wrong, it is an ACTUAL win32 program.

Oh hey, in normal mode my taskbar freezes, any program I open will freeze within a minute or so, and the Task manager won't come up.

I've been stuck in safemode for months now. I know how to force any program to work in it, including Skype and iTunes, both of which will refuse to open on their own.

I am sick of having no sound.

Now stop treating me as if I'm computer stupid, I generally know what I am doing when it comes to my 2002 frozen caveman of a computer.
M A C H I N E G U N
         ⌒°。>◡<)⌒°
Thanked by:
Maybe this will help you out?

http://www.pchell.com/support/svchosterror.shtml
Thanked by:
Except it isn't giving me an error when I start up nor is it taking up 100% of my CPU cycles.

I even described what was wrong with my computer at you and all you saw was svchost.

Geez.
M A C H I N E G U N
         ⌒°。>◡<)⌒°
Thanked by:
(01-09-2011, 02:40 PM)Kat Wrote: Except it isn't giving me an error when I start up nor is it taking up 100% of my CPU cycles.

I even described what was wrong with my computer at you and all you saw was svchost.

Geez.

You said "This time it is the svchost.exe file that is corrupt" which is what that page I linked to is about. I'm not sure how to explain this part so I'll try. When two computers have the same file get corrupt, they can have two completely different reactions. Fixing that one corrupt file will fix both computers regardless.

Also, that page talks about repairing svchost.exe which is directly related to the problem you are having. Whether or not you decide to use the page is completely up to you. <--- That wasn't meant to sound rude. . .

by the way, I did sww the entire post, it's just that corrupt files don't always cause the same reaction in all computers so I was looking for a way to fix svchost.exe specifically.
Thanked by:
If your files are just corrupting by themselves with no viruses or anything than you may want to look into getting a new hard drive since the corruption could messing up a lot of your other stuff eventually. I'd suggest formatting after backing up your stuff, but it seems like you're avoiding that solution for one reason or another.
Thanked by:
No money to get an external hard drive and windows xp disk, or an internal hard drive for that matter.

To be honest, I'm sure I could sue a new computer at this point.

Also the way to fix the svchost that you gave me was more or less if it had a corruped update happen. I'll see what downloading those updates do but it did just randomly fail and not because of an update either.
M A C H I N E G U N
         ⌒°。>◡<)⌒°
Thanked by:
You can use a program to recover your windows serial number, then have a friend to lend a install disc, and then you use your old key and everyone's happy
http://www.aboutonlinetips.com/how-to-re...duct-keys/

A seagate HD is around $50 to $70 at ebay, some with free shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Seagate-Barracud...27b7e36707
A buy it now, $60, free shipping. 1.5 Tera.
[Image: MegaEXESig.png]
Thanked by: Maxpphire
That makes me wish I had $60 and a friend who still owned a windows xp disk :I
M A C H I N E G U N
         ⌒°。>◡<)⌒°
Thanked by:
Hate to ask a stupid question, but did you try running something like Malwarebytes to make sure your problem wasn't malware related?
Thanked by: