Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Blender .dae Problems
So, I've got the Alloys from SSBB ripped to md5mesh. Problem is, I'm having a difficult time exporting them to .dae in Blender.

Now, in Blender, I have the first one (Red) looking very good, and have the progress saved.

Here's what I've done:

- Removed bones TopN, TransN, ThrowN, XRotN, YRotN. These bones are used in Brawl, but the model doesn't use them for animation.

- Cleaned up the UV mapping. Somehow, the game expects out of bounds values to be mirrored and placed in-bounds. I just did that manually.

- Added in the geometry the brres viewer doesn't dump. (manually rebuilt, placed and weighted)

Problem is, when I export to .dae, it works fine. When I try to import it to take a look, Blender throws a fit. Could someone try opening this file in their own apps, and see if it's just my Blender install that's the problem?

The file in question is (Edit: Removed Link). Thank you for your time.
Thanked by:
Well importing it with DAE 1.4 importer yields me this on Blender:

[Image: alloyyuck.png]

It crashes at HipN.

DAE 1.3.1 importer reports no errors but nothing appears to actually be imported.
Thanked by:
(01-05-2011, 10:30 AM)Zerox Wrote: Well importing it with DAE 1.4 importer yields me this on Blender:

[Image: alloyyuck.png]

It crashes at HipN.

DAE 1.3.1 importer reports no errors but nothing appears to actually be imported.

That's what I was afraid of. Where am I going wrong? I'm selecting everything while it's being exported (to collada 1.4), and on my system, I don't even see that much of the skeleton when trying to re-import. Do I need to select the mesh(es) last? Actually apply the modifiers to the mesh(es)?

My previous experience with exporting to .dae requires I don't apply the armature deform, and those attempts get used in the target application perfectly.

[Image: redalloyinblender.png]

This here is what I see when I hit the P key in Blender.
Thanked by:
Actually, it imports just fine, rigging and all, into 3DS Max albeit with no textures since you didn't provide them. Interestingly, it imports best with Autodesk's plugin which is different from Blender's usual exports.

I'm not sure if you're using an unstable beta version at the moment or something, but if they were trying to update the .dae variant that Blender exports and didn't get around to fixing the importing yet then it would make a lot of sense. Regardless, if you want to avoid this issue altogether I'd suggest just using an .SMD plugin and exporting to that instead since its a far more stable format since it isn't changed a lot.
Thanked by:
(01-05-2011, 02:28 PM)Shadowth117 Wrote: Actually, it imports just fine, rigging and all, into 3DS Max albeit with no textures since you didn't provide them. Interestingly, it imports best with Autodesk's plugin which is different from Blender's usual exports.

I'm not sure if you're using an unstable beta version at the moment or something, but if they were trying to update the .dae variant that Blender exports and didn't get around to fixing the importing yet then it would make a lot of sense. Regardless, if you want to avoid this issue altogether I'd suggest just using an .SMD plugin and exporting to that instead since its a far more stable format since it isn't changed a lot.

That's strange. I'm certain I applied the textures. Maybe they don't get added to the .dae. Anyway, using the SMD format requires it all be combined, so it means that separated by material is out of the question. Worse, the SMDs don't even preserve the hard edges.
Thanked by:
Well its really just a last resort type thing. .DAE would be preferred, but if its not working well for you than it may be better just to go with something else. And yeah, you'll have to make a .zip or a .rar to store the models with the textures if you want us to be able to use them. There aren't any common formats I know of besides .FBX that store textures inside the model file like that.
Thanked by:
(01-05-2011, 06:40 PM)Shadowth117 Wrote: Well its really just a last resort type thing. .DAE would be preferred, but if its not working well for you than it may be better just to go with something else. And yeah, you'll have to make a .zip or a .rar to store the models with the textures if you want us to be able to use them. There aren't any common formats I know of besides .FBX that store textures inside the model file like that.

Considering that you said you were able to import it without problems, perhaps you should see if this one works?

New Link: Red Alloy.

Also, I tried to re-import this export, and I saw exactly what Zerox did. I think Blender's .dae importer is just... messed up.

Edit: While I'm here, I have a rules question. I know I'm not allowed to post a completely new request yet, but in a case where a model I'd like to get is in the plans, would I be allowed to 'cast a vote' for it? (I'm referring to Zerox's intentions to release the Wireframes in his Melee rips thread, for the record)
Thanked by:
Actually, that works perfectly for me. Only bug there is one that's either in my importer or the recent variants of the format itself that causes the default opacity map to be set to RGB intensity for the map rather than the alpha map. A non-issue really. Hopefully Blender's importer will be fixed soon. I'm not sure where exactly you'd file bug reports for it, but its probably something that could be mentioned if they aren't already aware of it.

As for the requesting thing, there's not really a problem with that most of the time. People actually suggest rips a lot. Its just that when someone joins purely to do that or just comes into a thread demanding things that it really becomes an issue. Usually you'd just PM someone about it if you wanted something like that although a lot of times people ask as comments as well in the main submission thread so long as it hasn't been a while since their last rip from the game you want. PM's are definitely the way to go though if you'd like to avoid any chance of trouble.
Thanked by:
(01-07-2011, 02:44 PM)Shadowth117 Wrote: Actually, that works perfectly for me. Only bug there is one that's either in my importer or the recent variants of the format itself that causes the default opacity map to be set to RGB intensity for the map rather than the alpha map. A non-issue really. Hopefully Blender's importer will be fixed soon. I'm not sure where exactly you'd file bug reports for it, but its probably something that could be mentioned if they aren't already aware of it.

As for the requesting thing, there's not really a problem with that most of the time. People actually suggest rips a lot. Its just that when someone joins purely to do that or just comes into a thread demanding things that it really becomes an issue. Usually you'd just PM someone about it if you wanted something like that although a lot of times people ask as comments as well in the main submission thread so long as it hasn't been a while since their last rip from the game you want. PM's are definitely the way to go though if you'd like to avoid any chance of trouble.

Well, if it's a non-issue, then I think I'll download the icon maker and make these actual rips ready for submission.

Thank you for the assistance, and I hope to be quite productive here.
Thanked by: