Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[IDEA] [GAME] Hieros Gamos
Crossposted from PxC.

So, a few weeks ago I decided to switch over from making fakemon to making original creatures for a game. This is the idea for said game - known as Hieros Gamos. (I've actually had this idea a while back, and it's been sitting in the back of my brain for a long time, but I just got working on it now...)
HG is basically a huge nod to the Dragon Warrior Monsters games for the Gameboy, with some Pokemon and Shin Megami Tensei stuff thrown in. The story... I'm still working on it, but it'll be a lot more complex than your average monster-raising game (by complex I mean not shitty).

If you've ever played DWM you should be familiar with how the game will work - 3 on 3 monster battles, breeding as a large part of the game (though HG won't make it 'necessary' to breed), monsters trained to fit a certain role during infancy.

Like I said though, there are many things that I 'took' from other series - the evolution (known as 'rank' in HG) from Pokemon, the monster 'talk' and recruitment from Shin Megami Tensei, and possibly a few features inspired by Monster Rancher (???-breeds instead of "shiny Pokemon", perhaps?).

As soon as I get a few things finalized I'll post the list of monsters that will appear in the game with a short description of each. This is probably my favorite part and I'm looking forward to sharing my ideas with you!

-masquerain

In the world of Roeizek, alchemy has developed so much that it is the single driving force behind everything in the world. The form of alchemy used in Roeizek is homunculus based - most alchemists get by through summoning and binding powerful creatures to do their bidding. After they are finished with, these creatures get released into the wild, causing an influx of monsters surrounding towns and cities. This development called for a new breed of alchemist, one who had the utmost understanding of the homunculi - one who could bind any homunculus to their will.

You are the younger brother/sister of one of these alchemists. Your sister, Morgan, set off three years ago in order to study the Hieros Gamos, the ultimate breeding rite between two super-powerful homunculi. One year ago she was pronounced missing, and you haven't gotten any contact from her until now.

On your doorstep lays a small package. Inside said package is a large crystal - one homunculi are known to produce after they breed.

The return address is illegible, except for the name "Morgan".

The crystal begins to crack and glow. Out of it comes a small homunculus, one of the likes you have never seen before. It appears to be already bound to you, and talks to you as if it has known you for years.

Why would your sister send you this kind of package? What's up with getting a homunculus in the mail? What kind of homunculus is it anyways?

So would begin your long journey as an alchemist, searching for the secrets of your sister and the Hieros Gamos.

In the game there are four base elements, which can combine to make 16 'complex' elements. The elements are as follows:

Earth+Earth = Earth
Earth>Fire = Metal
Earth>Water = Wood
Earth>Air = Sand

Fire>Earth = Sulphur
Fire+Fire = Fire
Fire>Water = Steam
Fire>Air = Lightning

Water>Earth = Blood
Water>Fire = Catalyst
Water+Water = Water
Water>Air = Snow

Air>Earth = Sound
Air>Fire = Nuclear
Air>Water = Miasma
Air+Air = Air

Each creature is also ruled by one of the 8 planets. This determines what type of creature you will get from breeding them.

Mercury (Reptiles)
Venus (Machines/Manmade)
Earth (Plants)
Mars (Mammals and Humanoids)
Jupiter (Everything Else)
Saturn (Birds)
Uranus (Insects/Invertebrates)
Neptune (Marine creatures and Amphibians)

(breeding combinations to come later)

There are spells that correspond to each of the four base elements, which, when learned, can be combined to form the complex element spells. The basic elemental spells do more damage, however the complex elemental spells are more specialized.

Many spells "evolve" from one form to the other, growing more powerful in the process. A certain level and a certain number of spell uses is required for the "evolution".

Temp. List of spells and effects coming later

Personality Info:
Homunculus List:

Stuff I need to work out still:

Fix the shitty element names
How breeding will work
Alchemist's effect on battle
And lots more!

Thanks for reading my drivel. I hope you have lots of constructive criticism regarding my idea!
Hey, check these out!

(Crossposted from PxC)

The first 13 creatures I have notes on! These are in no particular order except the first four, which are based on Dwarves, Salamanders, Undines, and Sylphs - creatures that represent the four basic elements. These four creatures are the ones you can start with - I have WIP silhouettes of them (Rank 4) in my sprite thread.

"Abilityset" represents the types of moves they learn and stats they receive typically. Homunculi you recruit in the wild will typically have these exact characteristics, but bred homunculi will have inherited their parents spells, attacks, and stats, so they can be used for pretty much any of the roles.

The Grimoire is a bestiary/Pokedex. It catalogs homunculi you have bred, recruited, or received. The book also collects records such as breeding and recruitment results.

Finally, Notes are just my notes on what the average creature of that species does, inspiration for designs, mount status, etcetera.

Thanked by: Maxpphire
the human clothes/accessories kind of kill the concept for me, but you go ahead with this!
[Image: x1aIZ2e.gif]
YOU HAVE TO FEEL WHAT YOU DRAW, FEEL
[Image: shrine.gif]

Thanked by:
I can understand why the clothes might wreck the idea for you, but part of the story is that the Homunculi were originally products of the human mind made to perform specific tasks, for example servitors in chaos magick. I don't think it's terribly farfetched to imagine a human might think up a hyena with a jester's cap to tell jokes or a bird in a suit and tie to intimidate other birds.
I might actually just give them clothes-like markings, like I did back when they were fakemon. I'll see what the general consensus is.

Thanks for the support!

Thanked by:
Going to consolidate everything into the first post, but I have a preview of some of the mechanics for raising homunculi, including stats and personality:

I also have the concepts for the remaining 7 out of the 20 homunculi that I'm going to start with:

I can't wait to sprite Dorappa Wink
Thanked by:
Some of your cross elements are a bit borked. Melancholia? Really? I suggest:

Water>Earth = Blood (...This feels wrong, but I can't quite place why. It goes well with Earth>Water = Wood, though.)
Water>Fire = Catalyst
Air>Earth = Gravity
Air>Fire = Nuclear/Plasma
Air>Water = Aether (A bit vague. Are we talking mist/fog or miasma/smog?)

Also, Jupiter would probably be elementals/non-corporeal.
Specs 'n' Headphones has been revamped! Check it, yo.
[Image: 10y3mgj.png][Image: groove-1.gif]
Thanks to Pik and Solink; they are sexy people. Heart
(12-29-2010, 02:18 PM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: Some of your cross elements are a bit borked. Melancholia? Really? I suggest:

Water>Earth = Blood (...This feels wrong, but I can't quite place why. It goes well with Earth>Water = Wood, though.)
Water>Fire = Catalyst
Air>Earth = Gravity
Air>Fire = Nuclear/Plasma
Air>Water = Aether (A bit vague. Are we talking mist/fog or miasma/smog?)

Also Jupiter would probably be elementals/non-corporeal.

I like all of these, and I'll probably use them, but I'm in need of a cross element for Sound, and I wasn't quite sure where to place it. I'm thinking Air>something but I'm not sure.

Aether is miasma/smog, I might as well rename it Miasma at this point ahah.
Thanked by:
I initially interpreted it as the modern 'ether'; and imagined a drunk-off-his-tits homunculus.

Air > Earth also works as Sound, if Gravity is too abstract. If these elements are to be treated/flavoured as alchemical ingredients rather than say what Pokémon might consider an element (THE DRAGON ELEMENT, DURRR) - then It might need to be called something else - but cover sound-based attacks. 'Pulse' or 'Force' or 'Wave' or something.
Thanked by:
(12-29-2010, 02:51 PM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: I initially interpreted it as the modern 'ether'; and imagined a drunk-off-his-tits homunculus.

Air > Earth also works as Sound, if Gravity is too abstract. If these elements are to be treated/flavoured as alchemical ingredients rather than say what Pokémon might consider an element (THE DRAGON ELEMENT, DURRR) - then It might need to be called something else - but cover sound-based attacks. 'Pulse' or 'Force' or 'Wave' or something.

Alright, the problem elements and homunculi associated with them have been changed. Thanks for the help!

I'm fine with Sound at this point unless I think of something better. "Pulse" and "Wave" bring to mind water, while "Force" is the name of the Wind attacks in the Megaten series and would confuse me (and possibly other megaten fans)

That plus sound could technically be an "ingredient"... like in those episodes of Between the Lions I watched when I was younger, where they had to yell at meat or something. Maybe I'm being a bit farfetched here...
Thanked by:
It's cool brah.

Oh bluh. I swear SMT's 4th element keeps changing. Garu, Force, Zan...
Thanked by:
Perhaps you could simplify it greatly. I was thinking there would be three parts of a monster. Mind, Body, and Spirit.

Mind is the battle style and personality.
Body is the physical attributes.
Spirit is the elemental power.

Just a suggestion. Its similar to what you had but simpler. The things above kind of confused me a bit.

Thanked by: Chris2Balls [:B]
(12-29-2010, 08:08 PM)Koopaul Wrote: Perhaps you could simplify it greatly. I was thinking there would be three parts of a monster. Mind, Body, and Spirit.

Mind is the battle style and personality.
Body is the physical attributes.
Spirit is the elemental power.

Just a suggestion. Its similar to what you had but simpler. The things above kind of confused me a bit.

Hmm. Could you explain a little more? I'm not exactly sure how that would simplify it, besides grouping everything. Battle style isn't seen on the status screen, it's more of a 'hidden attribute', also.
Thanked by: