Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Back for more
It's been a while since I haven't done my own pixel art, and I've been trying to do some since I've been on holiday. Anyway I've got this work in progress, which I'm working on.
[Image: yellowani.gif]
[Image: yellowi.png]
I'm not satisfied with it at all, and I can tell it's flat, so I'm open to anything you've got to offer. Thank you for your time! Smile
[Image: x1aIZ2e.gif]
YOU HAVE TO FEEL WHAT YOU DRAW, FEEL
[Image: shrine.gif]

Thanked by:
I think its a bit too early to be making judgments, especially when it's not even remotely refined yet.

Do more first d:
Thanked by:
I agree with Reverend Parris, it's far to early to give you real criticism. I'll give you as much suggestions as I can from what I can see.

- Not sure if those are black mountains/towers in the background, but if they are perhaps you could highlight around them to suggest that they appear infront of the bright green sky? If they're apart of the background, then nevermind.

- The shading on the face looks smudged and blurry.

- The shape of the eyes are quite odd, as well as the head.

- It is flat due to lack of dark shadow and consistancy with the light source. The hood should not have the lightest green overtop of it, rather the green should highlight around the hood due to it being presented in the back of the character. It will be hard for you to create any light/shadow to express the facial features because of where you set the source of light.

Perhaps a reference for the face could help you figure it out?
Heart
Thanked by: Chris2Balls [:B]
[Image: timmehboy.png]
referenced work in progress, i'm looking for the reference's link brb

Thanked by: Gwen, Cshad, Baegal
progress

Thanked by: Iceman404, Gwen
Pfft! That looks horrible. Please, just start over...
~~LOVE~~ 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.
[Image: mousey.gif]
Thanked by: Chris2Balls [:B], Cshad
Looks pretty nice so far! You seem to have removed part of the hat on the top right? It seems a bit more unbalanced in the current version. I like the face shading in the old one compared to the new one. Some contrast to define facial features could be interesting, although I don't know what you're aiming for at the moment. Lastly is the black area at the bottom supposed to be a reference for his shoulders? It's pretty low if it is. That's about all I can say without the reference at the moment!
(01-20-2011, 06:19 PM)Iceman404 Wrote: Pfft! That looks horrible. Please, just start over...
what a helpful and incisive comment i'm sure this will help chris improve immensely

ANYWAY.
I think I can see why you've done it - I assume that you're going for a subtle red/green colourscheme - but the guy's skin looks way, way too pink, it makes him look sort of pallid. Try to work in some warmer colours, and stick to cold colours around the eyes (but don't push too far or the sockets can look bruised).

This is definitely something where my knowledge is lacking - when I'm painting I use lots and lots of different colours layered on top of each other to try to get convincing skin, and that's not really something you can do with spriting.

That was, of course, another helpful and incisive comment. :B
[Image: 6WzBw.gif]
thanks for the feedback!
i lowered the contrast because i'm replicating the reference's model (my brother). i've reshaped the shoulder and hat:
hat is still subject to future changes, and i'll work on the scarf and coat

mhh i'll be tinkering with the hues too

Thanked by: Gwen
why are you drawing that hipster garbage

I'm kidding, good job keep it up
[Image: Arcade_Fuhrer-290x300.jpg]
Thanked by:
Compared to the reference picture, your's skin palette is much too pink. You should also give the beard a more fuzzy texture, rather than another color.

EDIT: The eye on (our) left is too high in comparison to the other.
~~LOVE~~ 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.
[Image: mousey.gif]
Thanked by:
His beard doesn't look very hairy, though idk if you've gotten to that yet
Thanked by:
The shading on the hat doesn't really match up with the reference. Maybe it's because you've not done the details yet; but before you posted the ref, I thought he was wearing a sari. I guess I'm saying it feels more like 'cloth' than 'woollen' right now.
Specs 'n' Headphones has been revamped! Check it, yo.
[Image: 10y3mgj.png][Image: groove-1.gif]
Thanks to Pik and Solink; they are sexy people. Heart
I think it's just a lack of texture, as I have the same impression with his scarf.

Comparing with the reference, something that bugs me is that his nose seems (keyword: seems) large, it's very prominent in yours, compared to the reference. It might just be me, though. I hope to see some more progress!
Thanked by:
(01-20-2011, 07:47 PM)arün Wrote: why are you drawing that hipster garbage

I'm kidding, good job keep it up
that's my brother :B

thank you very much for the responses, they've been really helpful!
beardie is still wip, just like the scarf, shoulders and cap

Thanked by: