Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sound Resource: Preview Sounds
I have a suggestion for The Sound Resource.

It would be nice if there was a way to hear the sounds before I downloaded them.

Otherwise, keep up the good work!
Thanked by: Garamonde
well, Nice idea, but can be hard to do... Tongue
Thanked by:
I would like to implement this in the future, as a simple way of allowing users to hear the files in the zip/rar before they download, but it will use up a lot of bandwidth and probably be VERY hard to do.

We'll see.
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by:
This topic is about four months old, but it's still high up on the first page, and I was going to comment on something similar.

Audio preview is actually very easy, however, requires that the sounds aren't zipped. Maybe you could do something similar to the sprite icons on tSR, where you have a 5- or 10- second OGG/WAV file that would be previewed through the browser (this way, you don't actually preview the entire thing, but you have a tiny idea - this way, it won't use up much bandwidth). HTML 5 supports <audio>, and all of the major browsers except IE support this with Ogg Vorbis. There are also several Java/Flash players that can play Ogg for the people that use IE - I'd recommend this against WAVE, considering how it's much smaller, and you don't need high-quality audio for previews anyway.

Not like we need to do anything like this immediately, but I think that it would be a pretty neat idea in the long run.
Well wouldn't the easiest bypass around that be that we upload a zip, it uploads to the server, and on server-side, unzips it to a folder. People have then got the option to listen to them on site, download the zip, or download individual sounds?

Hmm...

I'll put that into a document for a feature idea.
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you