Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Design Documents
Today, I had this wonderful idea for this moderate-sized game, and I just had to get it down on paper somehow before I lost it. So, I started writing a design document. Problem is, I've never actually written a design document before, so I really have no idea where to start. I've written down the basics of the player so far (Running, Jumping, Dashing, Interacting), but writing it seems like a very daunting task.

Can anyone who's had experience with writing design documents help me out? Where should I start? How can I keep all of the information organized? I need some tips, guys.
[Image: Bear2.png]
[Image: tumblr_ljk17tWfME1qd7kbno1_250.gif]
Thanked by:
Usually, I just write down whatever pops in my mind. While doing so, I often get new ideas. Having this all down, I start organizing the information.

Oftentimes, a game has multiple aspects to it. Take for example Fire Emblem, it has part talking, part planning and part actually playing. It's best to order this into these 3 categories, and then starting with whatever you like. If you want this to work, you need to think of EVERY STEP and explain it in great detail. If there's something you think speaks for itself, write it down anyways, you will forget it. Write down what you want, need and keep it realistic. After everything you start with controls, this is really important as you need to have this determined. After everything is done, have someone proofread it and make sure that he understands the concept. Hell, if necessary, make paint drawings to go with your designs so you have everything crystal clear.
You need to go over the graphics, programming, resources you need, gameplay, style and don't forget ANY detail.
Additionally, don't forget to write down your motivation for doing what you do.

If I'm missing anything, let me know, haha.
Thanked by: Kitsu, ThePortalGuru
Writing down design documents is as easy as you think it is.

It's best to start the doc with a general overview/summary of the project itself, then go down the line and expand upon things that were mentioned in the overview. Make a lot of use of formatting in your doc to keep it neat and organized.
Thanked by:
what i did last time i made one is i just took a faq from gamefaqs and rewrote each paragraph. considering this is mostly for team use and you want it to be organized that saves a lot of time and thought imo
Thanked by: