Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Need some explanations.
Hello there,

I would like to ask if there's someone kind enough to help me a bit on some questions I have:

- I tried to download the N64 ripped pokemon models and the some others from a gamecube/wii game and everything is fine when I import them into 3DS Max. But, how do I know if they have animations?

- If they don't have animations, I plan on trying to learn how to do so. Maybe someone here can get working animations on some pokemon models? I don't know if it's a tough job or if someone have already planned to do so.

- I mainly wanted to import these models into the StarCraft 2 editor. Someone made a M3 exporter (M3 is the file format for SC2 models) for 3DS Max and it looks like it works fine from the feedback I've read, but when I try to export the imported pokemon models, I get an error: "Export failed! -- Unknown property: "materialType" in Material_119_5BE938E3_c_bmpUnsuretandard"

There's some explanations on how to get custom models working but I don't seem to understand some specific points in the text file:

========================================
= Setting up an exportable model =
========================================
* Exported geometry must be of 'Editable Mesh' type
* Attachments can be added to a scene through the Create tab within the Helpers tab in the 'Starcraft 2 Objects' group.
* Material type must be 'Starcraft 2', 'Standard', or 'Multimaterial' type.
* Use the 'Starcraft 2' Material for extra tweakable settings. Same goes for 'Starcraft 2 Map' for bitmaps. (Highly Recommended that you use these!)
* A 'Skin' modifier must be applied to your mesh to weight vertices to bones for animations.
* When exporting bones, the base frame represents the frame vertices are bound to their bones and the bind pose frame represents the standard pose of the model for animations.
* When animating, ensure you have a start frame and an end frame animation for the bone you wish to animate to avoid unwanted interpolations.
* For rotation keyframes, ensure you have a keyframe every 90 degrees or less of rotation.

Maybe I could try Blender? I don't know.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Cheers!

PS: I wasn't so sure if I could post an help request here. If I'm against the rules, please tell me.
Thanked by:
No, this is exactly where you would post this kind of stuff. You're fine dude.

Now onto the subject at hand, no the Pokemon models do not have animations. Currently, the ONLY model on the site that has animations is Super Mario Sunshine Mario. This is partially because I don't have a good format to save them in and mostly because the majority of games can't have animations ripped from them anyway.

As for what's wrong with your material, its either that all of the Pokemon use a shitton of materials since they use one for each object and the popular method of ripping N64 models rips each polygon as a separate object. Likely, you'll have to make a material for each texture and manually reassign them so that you use far less materials. You may also want to combine the objects at least a little to make things easier for yourself. Regardless, if you make new materials you should be able to solve the only other issue the models might have anyway so that error should go away.

Hope that helps.
Thanked by: essbee
Okay I see, I'll check if I can do some animations by myself and I'll try what you said for the material.

Do you think we'll be able to see ripped animations for pokemon one day?
And for the sunshine Mario, is the animation directly ripped or it is someone who did it?

Thanks a lot!
Thanked by:
Sorry, but I kinda doubt we'll ever see a way to rip those. It'd just be easier to remake them really.

Mario was a special case. The converter I used was able to read animations, but only if they were included inside the model file which, interestingly enough, they were. Unfortunately, most Gamecube .bmd models don't have their animations stored in the same file so it would be unlikely for most of them to be ripped.

Oh and I'm not sure if you're interested in the Wii Pokemon models, but those can be ripped with their animations intact through the BRRES Viewer which you can get here: http://www.mediafire.com/?zdr4chm4m3pzyj7

I'm not sure which Pokemon game actually had .brres models, but apparently one of them did if I'm remembering correctly. Also for .brres models, even if the animation isn't stored in the same .brres as the model, you can merge them in with a tool called Brawl Box.
Thanked by: essbee
Sweet, I'll take a look when I have time. College exams are coming so I can't right now, but I'll check this out and see how it goes. Thanks a bunch.

Do I need to have a Wii with the game to do this?
Thanked by:
Well Brawl uses Brres models and so you could get the limited number of pokemon from brawl that way.
Thanked by:
While we're at it, what is a good model animation format ? and which is best, .xml or .anm ?
[Image: E3DU8rS.png]
Reference
♥ ♥ ♥ LOVE ♥ ♥ ♥
Omega ; Phant Mmkay ; Baegal ; Gorsal ; Drakocat ; Chaoxys ; TomGuyCott ; Chris2balls ; Mighty Jetters ; Blueblur97 ; NICKtendo DS ;
Kachua (Secret Santa) ; and some more that i need to locate, save and link onto here
Thanked by:
I'll be honest Lexou I've never even heard of .anm let alone what model format uses it or how to export to it, and while I've heard .xml before I've never heard of it being a way of containing animations for 3D models.
Thanked by:
Well, .xml is a scene file kind of like .max and .anm contains bone movement data, there are these in the mario sunshine model, and anything exported by maxbmd.
[Image: E3DU8rS.png]
Reference
♥ ♥ ♥ LOVE ♥ ♥ ♥
Omega ; Phant Mmkay ; Baegal ; Gorsal ; Drakocat ; Chaoxys ; TomGuyCott ; Chris2balls ; Mighty Jetters ; Blueblur97 ; NICKtendo DS ;
Kachua (Secret Santa) ; and some more that i need to locate, save and link onto here
Thanked by:
Okay, I tried to get Dolphin and put an ISO in it, everything is fine, I've extracted the data for the models but it's called "Data.dan". Is there a way to convert this to brres models or am I doing wrong?

Thank you
Thanked by:
I doubt it, not every Wii game has them. There's a list of the one's that do in the first post of this thread:http://www.spriters-resource.com/community/showthread.php?tid=13373
Thanked by:
PokéPark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure​

It's in the list. :/
Thanked by:
Can't help you there really. There may be a few other games games that have come out since that list that was made that use that format, but I don't know any off the top of my head so I've no idea if there's another pokemon game to use that format or not that doesn't use the "Miiified" models for them.
Thanked by:
Maybe I did something wrong?

First, I open Dolphin, then I give the path to the game. I don't start the game at all and I right-click on the game and go to properties. This is where I go to filesystem where everything is, but the only brres files there are some bullets and shadows.

Do I need to start the game in order to "load" the models? I'll try right now.

Thanks anyway
Thanked by:
No, but they may be compressed or might be in an archive or something. I know Brawl puts them in .arc, .pac, and .pcs files though that may only apply to Brawl specifically.
Thanked by: