Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Another Random Model
Hah. I'm so clever. This time, I wrote ARM...

Anyway, I was procrastinating on my latest paper, and I decided I wanted to model something. So I modeled Blade Knight, from the Kirby series (in case you didn't already know).

[Image: bknightpromo.png]

[Image: bknight360.gif]

[Image: bknighttexfull.png]

I was originally aiming for DS specs, but I'm probably at least 300 tris too many for it. The model contains 506 tris, which is, I guess, good low-poly for anything better than the DS hardware-wise.

If anyone else here who makes models could give me some C+C, that'd be great.
Thanked by: Nindo
Welp

Apparently, you also love my favorite Kirby character, that sword guy that they cut out of the new Kirby games, just because they wanted to keep that guy with his crappy hood.

As for c+c, the red jaw-thing is pushed too front-forward, back it up towards the torso. You did a good job of low poly using, but your textures could use some work. The spinning cel-shaded gif rules, but the shoes and torso are killing it. You might wanna make a sword model, too. He does have a pretty damn cool-shaped sword.
[Image: E3DU8rS.png]
Reference
♥ ♥ ♥ LOVE ♥ ♥ ♥
Omega ; Phant Mmkay ; Baegal ; Gorsal ; Drakocat ; Chaoxys ; TomGuyCott ; Chris2balls ; Mighty Jetters ; Blueblur97 ; NICKtendo DS ;
Kachua (Secret Santa) ; and some more that i need to locate, save and link onto here
Thanked by: Kitsu
He looks good for a low-poly model, but have you ever considered improving the textures a bit? Right now, they look like someone just lazily painted them on there... Unless, of course, that's the style you're going for, right?
I suck on models, well, nice work on this!
^^
I tweaked the texture and UVs here and there a bit. I don't know what I was thinking to color his hands red and his feet gray. I must've gotten mixed up with Sir Kibble a bit...
I also pulled his mouthguard thingy back a bit and made his head/shoulderpads slightly bigger.
[Image: testpng.png]

@Lexou, yeah, he and Wheelie Bike are my faves.

@E-Man, are you referring to my UVs, or to the quality of the texture itself? So, what exactly do you mean by improving the texture quality?

I was aiming for a really low-res style (I know, style is always a bad excuse).
Here are some of my inpirations:
NOTE: THESE ARE NOT MADE BY ME. REPEAT: THESE ARE NOT MADE BY ME
[Image: lowpolygirl.gif]
[Image: lowpolytaxi.gif]

Maybe I should rotate the UVs for the shoulder pads to make them aligned with the rest of everything else?
Well done, man ! Not much more to say now. Maybe consider making the sword ? Shy

I gotta say, I'm a fan of low-poly models. They have this special charm to them. It's like 8-bit pixel art, you know ? I think you did an awesome job at reproducing that, and I congratulate you on your apparently omnivarious skills.

May I ask how and with what you model, and how long it took you to be this good ? I think I'm gonna try modeling one of these days, and you seem to be the best person who can inform me on that. Also, what is that outling cel-shading software ?

That said, I'm gonna stop derailing this thread.
[Image: E3DU8rS.png]
Reference
♥ ♥ ♥ LOVE ♥ ♥ ♥
Omega ; Phant Mmkay ; Baegal ; Gorsal ; Drakocat ; Chaoxys ; TomGuyCott ; Chris2balls ; Mighty Jetters ; Blueblur97 ; NICKtendo DS ;
Kachua (Secret Santa) ; and some more that i need to locate, save and link onto here
(11-10-2010, 01:56 PM)Sploder Wrote: @E-Man, are you referring to my UVs, or to the quality of the texture itself? So, what exactly do you mean by improving the texture quality?

Well, the textures kind of look rather blocky and I think the UVs look quite strange. However, I think you've fixe it now!
I'm pretty sure E-Man is referring to the shading on your textures. Its kind of flat and kind of sticks out since you used only about 3 shades at the most for each color. I could understand it if that was a style you were going for, but if you're trying like the low poly texture style of the models you posted then you're kind of off to be perfectly honest.

The texture itself doesn't have a lot of detail which works since that character didn't have that originally, but you really should have done better shading for your artificial lighting. 3 shades is really not enough for an area that large unless the entire style was supposed to be like that, and going of those examples you posted its not. Take a look at how the car transitions its shades on the edges. While its more of a box shape so you don't see too much of it, if you look at the texture you can see at least 3 intermediary shades in between the 3 main shades of yellow.

I'm not saying you have to make everything a gradient, but it will look MUCH better with more shades in large areas rather than limiting yourself. Really, you're not going off a palette so you're not limited and even if you were its likely you'd have a lot more colors to work with than what you've given yourself.

The model itself though looks good. I don't really have any comments on that aspect.
@ Lexou, I will do the sword, but I may have to use either a boring sword, or make the two prongs on the side retractable, due to the shape of his scabbard (and I'm too lazy to change the shape of that one.
I use Lightwave 8.something, and I've been on-and-off for about 3 years now. The program actually does the outlines, too, but sometimes, it's kinda wonky.
But really, I'm not really all that good. While I can always say that I model low-poly because I like that style (I really do), another reason is because I'm not good enough/too lazy to do something higher poly. If you want modeling tips, a better person to ask would be Rabid.

@ Sman117, yeah, I see what you mean. I really didn't quite capture his style, but I wasn't really trying to hard to, either. I was just sort of inspired by it.
I also don't have a very good UV layout. There are several places where I could have things sharing space so I could maybe try increasing the space I have for the armor/helmet.

But thanks for the crits guys!
Thanked by: Lexou Duck
this is pretty solid low-poly work, although i suggest you keep it constrained to quads for the time being. you could manually convert them to tris when you've finalized the shape. (tris don't subdivide well. and subdivision could act as a good "guide" for textures when you bake them)

if you really want to use pixel art for textures, then keep your polys fairly square/rectangular/straight. highly deformed polys like those on the shoulder will distort the textures too much

are his arms separate objects, or are they attached to the body?

dude try body paint 3d. Smile

also is that kenneth fejer's work?
[Image: ZRdfkWQ.jpg]
They actually were quads before, and then I had 'em turned into tris after I was "done."

Also, just about everything here is a separate object. I'm not sure, but I think that's the way Kirby games usually work.

Also, Body Paint 3D looks awesome!

And, uh, I don't know his real name, but his name on Polycount is Tennis.
EDIT: Yes, it is Mr. Fejer.
Thanked by:
cool, i was worried you'd have them as one object. would be harder to animate.

he's on polycount? that's
awesome

bodypaint 3d is like magic. i'm still getting used to it myself. c:
[Image: ZRdfkWQ.jpg]