Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
A New tSR?
tSR 2.0 Production Plan

Production plans for a new tSR hit my desk today, as I awoke to the rising sun of Europe.
A simple idea - A real system.
People are always trying to make a step forward, and always try and be the best and have the most content. Is it not true that it would take more to take a step back, and sort out what you left first?
We always try and just rush into things and get our stuff out there - but I say we need to step back, and make sure we can actually GET our stuff out there, properly.

tSR has always settled with "do for now"s, and never spent time in actually producing what it is that we truly need.
tSR is one of the largest spriting sites on the net, and that's very easy to see. We had over ten million page impression during this month so far alone, and plan to see even more in the future.

tSR as such has become large - the quantity of sprites on the site is immense, and so, it's time we set up a way for google to see that. And for a way that you people know where things are.

The production of this project has not yet been given a coding head, or any real staff announcements, however, plans are going out to try and use our resources to our best ability. I will do design as I feel that the tSR style can only be maintained by myself.

Below you will see confirmed staff on the jobs, and if required we will put up positions available for you to nominate yourself for.
If you would like to suggest a feature, do so in a reply to this topic.
We might make a possible logo design change too, however, we would like to remain using the same font and colours as the cite currently uses.
We have become distinctly recognisable because of our colour choices, and so we will not remove our image from the internet totally. Just make it appear more professional.

-----------------------------------
|Ideas:

* A simple updating system to allow faster updates and allowing us to provide more sprites, and faster, reducing waiting time.

* A better way of putting games into category - No longer organised by company, but organised by console instead.

* Alphabetical arrangement for sub categories. Games go on the page that relates to the first letter of the game's title. There will be an alphabetical menu with clickable letters to take you to the page of that letter.

* A search script, to allow searching for specific things. Category search, and Sprite Sheet search.

* Sections on the site for every game. This will be needed for the way that the site will be arranged, and although it may make more pages, it will make finding the specific game much easier, and reduces the condition of the current "Other" pages.

* A choice of how sheets are displayed on the site, from displaying the icons (as current) or the choice to see the site in a text based way, making load times quicker for slower connections, and reduce bandwidth wasted for people who don't feel the need to see icons.
|Current Staff Jobs:

Project Manager - Dazz
Lead Design - Dazz
Lead Section Tag Creation - Tonberry2k
Lead Programmer -
Lead Organiser - Tonberry2k
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by:
Whoo text instead of icons! I have a fast connection but those icons just annoy the crap out of me.
Oh and you asked me how many page impressions I got a month, lets just say it's not near 10 million...
[Image: randomimage.cgi]
Thanked by:
I like the sound of this everything from the ideas to the professionalism in this thread and people who wanted a search can have it, however there is just one problem.

Dazz Wrote:* A better way of putting games into category - No longer organised by company, but organised by console instead.

That might be slightly problematic for the Master System/Game Gear games since many games were released on both but then there is the problem of the exclusives (they were either MS only, GG only, released on both with various changes or exactly the same with a console detection coding which there are only about 12 or so games that use it). The rest like NES/Famicom Disk System, SNES, Mega Drive and that are okay.
Thanked by:
In cases where they were released on 2 systems, it can be put into both sections - However, if it has different graphics on the systems, they should have their own section in the related system's category.
We could run away
When there's no Mondays

Thanked by:
I'd suggest some sort of cross-linking, by what I mean that there should be both, sorted by console and sorted by company. Or at least the possibility to search by company.
Thanked by:
Google searches names, and organizes by hits. All of this to bring attention is moot without a name change.
Thanked by:
Google searches the words on a page as well, BAB. Searching exact sentences, for example, will return a higher result.
As we stand, the word "Mario" is written about 7 times on the entire site.

Easy example of how this works is the case of how TSGK gets hits, where as the name has nothing to do with spriting.
We could run away
When there's no Mondays

Thanked by:
So you're saying the fact tSR uses images and icons instead of text, the very reason why this site stands out, is the reason it doesn't get as many hits?
Thanked by:
In a sense, yes. We aren't saying we will no longer use icons though, if you would actually read the post, you will see that.
We could run away
When there's no Mondays

Thanked by:
havent you alrerady tried to make updating faster on TSR when you first joined dazz? edit: to clarrify when you first took over TSR

and if anything the icons shouldn't go even if theres isn't a chance they will go.

the icons are what give the charm to TSR in the fist place, they help me know what to expect in the sheet if I click it.
[Image: JSW7XoM.png][Image: M9AUckK.png]
Thanked by:
Dazz Wrote:In a sense, yes. We aren't saying we will no longer use icons though, if you would actually read the post, you will see that.

I indeed read the post.
Thanked by:
We are not removing icons. We are giving users a choice of if they want to use icons or text based browsing. It's a simple way of helping people with slower connections.
WE ARE NOT REMOVING ICONS.
WE ARE NOT REMOVING ICONS.

Omega: I did indeed - and I actually did, infact, do such a thing. I made updating time faster by ten-fold at least.
So, I'm going to do it again.
We could run away
When there's no Mondays

Thanked by:
I have almost every game in the Nintendo sections logged (except F-Zero and the Fire Emblem series cause I'm not familiar with them) and I just got into Sega.
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
Thanked by:
Here's an idea: Maybe if you hover your mouse over the text the icon or a small sample of the sheet appears.
[Image: randomimage.cgi]
Thanked by:
You won't be able to make out the detail of the sheet, so that seems kind of pointless.
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
Thanked by: