Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Alpha transparency help
To cut to the chase, I have no idea how to use alpha transparency well in Macromedia Flash 8. I can do simple things like fading in and out or an X-ray effect.

What I'm asking for is if it is possible to remove the background of an object (a sprite in this case) like how it'll appear if played in a game but this time on a video, in Flash 8 or even Macromedia Fireworks 8? I've already tried the magic wand tool, the results weren't what I'm looking for.

The reason I'm asking this here is because the tutorial Adobe provides, shows me what I already know and how to create an alpha channel in a video placed in flash. I'm not placing any videos into flash, though it does seem like it could be an alternative should what I'm asking for be not possible.

Here's a picture with the background.
[Image: Withbackground.png]

Here's with the magic wand at 0 tolerance.
[Image: Failedbackgroundremoval.png]

Here's with the magic wand at 85 tolerance.
[Image: Backgroundremoved.png]

It may seem like I've already solved my problem, but I don't want to lose any of the last lines of color as shown in the 0 tolerance picture. Just throwing an alpha mask on that does not remove the dark colors, which I want to keep for the sake of quality.

In short, is it possible to keep the dark colors without them showing up so badly in an alpha mask or do I have to remove them?
Thanked by:
Actually, I'd like to know this too, as in "Is there a way to set progressive transparency to black(ie : Black is completely transparent, and the closer a color is to black, the mor transparent it is ; white is completely opaque.)", if you see what I mean.
[Image: E3DU8rS.png]
Reference
♥ ♥ ♥ LOVE ♥ ♥ ♥
Omega ; Phant Mmkay ; Baegal ; Gorsal ; Drakocat ; Chaoxys ; TomGuyCott ; Chris2balls ; Mighty Jetters ; Blueblur97 ; NICKtendo DS ;
Kachua (Secret Santa) ; and some more that i need to locate, save and link onto here
Thanked by: Maxpphire
It's possible in Photoshop. You can set layer styles.

To do it, have a transparent layer /below/ the layer with that image.
Then select the topmost layer, click the dropdown that says 'normal', and choose 'darken'
Pure black should become transparent, 50% black becomes 50% transparent, etc.
Specs 'n' Headphones has been revamped! Check it, yo.
[Image: 10y3mgj.png][Image: groove-1.gif]
Thanks to Pik and Solink; they are sexy people. Heart
Thanked by: Nindo, Garamonde
I guess it's time for me to get a copy of photoshop then...

Thanks
Thanked by:
Well not necessarily; but that *is* the method I know for doing it.
Specs 'n' Headphones has been revamped! Check it, yo.
[Image: 10y3mgj.png][Image: groove-1.gif]
Thanks to Pik and Solink; they are sexy people. Heart
Thanked by:
gimp is literally photoshop but
you know
free
Thanked by:
(10-21-2010, 07:16 PM)Cure For Cancer Wrote: gimp is literally photoshop but
you know
free

Yeah I know, but my laptop does not like gimp or photoshop at all, which is really the only reason I have Fireworks instead.
Thanked by:
ah, nevermind then i guess???
Thanked by:
paint.net
You could just draw it in Flash.
It'd look better.
[Image: FmY9K.jpg]

Thanked by: